Price of META42?
Jun 25, 2002 at 7:32 PM Post #16 of 44
I think I'm addicted too...to getting boxes that is.
smily_headphones1.gif

At least my wife thinks so when I'm away and all my parts arrive over a couple days resulting in about 3 zillion little boxes with orders and back orders and back, back orders.......

Jun 25, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

How do the Analog Devices Opamps stack up to the OPA2132P?

In my CHA47, I replaced the OPA2132's with AD8610/BrownDog adaptors, and IMO, it wasn't even close in terms of sound. The AD8610's were clearly supeior. Better bass extension, definition; there was an airiness in the sound, that was lacking with the opa2132's.

How it was powered made difference. With a single 9v battery, it was not as dynamic. Using 2-9v in series, opened the sound alot. I guess the ad8610 are somewhat voltage dependent?

Jun 25, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #19 of 44
In my opinion, Burr-Brown opamps are poor choices for the META42 compared to Analog Devices opamps.

Why pay through the nose for the OPA627 when you could be using the AD8610/20 instead, which sounds better and is less cranky?

Jun 25, 2002 at 10:08 PM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by morsel
In my opinion, Burr-Brown opamps are poor choices for the META42 compared to Analog Devices opamps.

Why pay through the nose for the OPA627 when you could be using the AD8610/20 instead, which sounds better and is less cranky?

I keep hearing this and it really makes me wonder how good these things really are! Guess it's time to order some and get some brown-dog adapters.

Jun 25, 2002 at 10:49 PM Post #22 of 44
AD8610/20 are brand new designs that were specifically designed to compete with venerable OPA627 - datasheet is full of direct comparisons of measures on both chips. That is one of the reasons I mentioned this chip to ppl when I received Analog newsletter. Other is extremely wide open loop bandwidth (over 1MHz, usually it is in kHz to tens of kHz range), and I know ppl loves open loop bandwidth. By all accounts, Analog devices have achieved their goal. Hopefully it will be easier to buy this chip soon, as distributors start to pick it up.

Jun 25, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by aos
AD8610/20 are brand new designs that were specifically designed to compete with venerable OPA627 - datasheet is full of direct comparisons of measures on both chips. That is one of the reasons I mentioned this chip to ppl when I received Analog newsletter. Other is extremely wide open loop bandwidth (over 1MHz, usually it is in kHz to tens of kHz range), and I know ppl loves open loop bandwidth. By all accounts, Analog devices have achieved their goal. Hopefully it will be easier to buy this chip soon, as distributors start to pick it up.

Oh, so this chip is not easy to come-by right now as it is new?

Can any of you folks set me up with a pair of 8610s cheap (and if they are already mounted to an adapter that's even better)? :wink:

Jun 25, 2002 at 11:25 PM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Can any of you folks set me up with a pair of 8610s cheap (and if they are already mounted to an adapter that's even better)? :wink:

You can get them as 'free samples'. Can't get much cheaper that that. But at $6 each (b version) and even with shipping, it's still cheaper than the opa627.

Jun 26, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

AD8610 seems to be available in SOIC or MSOP8 only? What place sells them?

They are only available in SOIC/MSOP8. They will require an adaptor. Buy them directly from AD.

Jun 26, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by aos

Wow, you aren't kidding. They rip TI a new one in that datasheet.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back