price beyond reason
Dec 14, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #76 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
because I bought a mac?

I bought it with a student discount and had there been an alternative to using OSX on a laptop (don't say hackintosh).

How about we compare headphones to headphones and not computers to computers?

It appears that you've completely missed the point I was trying to get across. To some people, a computer is just a computer, it doesn't matter if it runs on Windows or OSX, therefore, to spend a dollar more in order to get a Mac (because you like/want to use OSX) is a waste to them. You don't need to tell me why you purchased a Mac, I get it, I like OSX as well. What I'm trying to say is, if you like a certain product and you can afford it, then that's all it matters.

BTW, you said there is no reason to spend anything more than $300 on a pair of headphone. To many people, that's $290 too much.

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #77 of 89
I'm not against spending $1000 for a decent pair of headphones, but I do shop smart... For example when the T2 comes out which it will, T1 is the first of it's kind so it's bound to drop down a lot.

What puts me off spending is the fact that a replacement headband for a Sennheiser 'audiophile' range of headphones costs more the entire headphone of a company like Skullcandy which I will add have better headbands in the first place. The markup is extortionate, I really wonder how much these headphones cost to manufacture. </rant>

Dec 14, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #79 of 89
Most I spend was $156 for my Iaudio 7 4gb back at 07
I'm looking at the Grado Sr225 for my next long term headphones I don't expect to pay any more than $160 for one at a good deal. and $100 for the Mini3 as a long term Amp, can't imagine going above $300 for any one equipment in the near future

Dec 15, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #80 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenneth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It appears that you've completely missed the point I was trying to get across. To some people, a computer is just a computer, it doesn't matter if it runs on Windows or OSX, therefore, to spend a dollar more in order to get a Mac (because you like/want to use OSX) is a waste to them. You don't need to tell me why you purchased a Mac, I get it, I like OSX as well. What I'm trying to say is, if you like a certain product and you can afford it, then that's all it matters.

BTW, you said there is no reason to spend anything more than $300 on a pair of headphone. To many people, that's $290 too much.

you make horrible points, give up.

try to draw better analogies, chief

Dec 15, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #81 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you make horrible points, give up.

try to draw better analogies, chief

I was hoping to have a more civilized & intellectual discussion about this, but I guess that's not going to happen, pity... You know, reading your colorful reply reminds me of an old expression: "ignorance is a bliss."

BTW, don't bother replying, I have you on ignore.

Dec 15, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #82 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenneth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was hoping to have a more civilized & intellectual discussion about this, but I guess that's not going to happen, pity... You know, reading your colorful reply reminds me of an old expression: "ignorance is a bliss."

BTW, don't bother replying, I have you on ignore.

Time out. He's the one with the $300 limit. We're the ones without a limit!!
evil_smiley.gif
We're the ones spending and thinking it's a good thing. You have a point... ignorance *is* bliss. Who's the ignorant?? Really.

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #84 of 89
no need to be angry because some people don't believe the same thing you do.
bigsmile_face.gif

@Kpalsm It's 217GB because they are flac and they are huge..you probably have like double my music but requires 10 times more space hahaha...but that's okay cause your happy.
beerchug.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #85 of 89
happy is a reason... but it also sounds better, is easier on the mind and hard drives really don't cost much (1TB for what... $100?).

Really want my hands on the O2, and already have a HE60 so I guess I fit in the last category but I'm not voting infinity, I'm voting 'more than 1200'
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #86 of 89
my max. budget for a pair of headphone is$600,this is even alot,i am trying to hunt down a pair of jvc dx1000\700 and i think this will be it for 3-4 years to come.maybe i will increase my budget when i graduate from university and get a nice job,but for now i cant cross the &600 limit.

Jan 9, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #87 of 89
I regretted the Grado GS-1000's I bought for $800, but I LOVE the Sennheiser HD800's I paid $1,300 for..... but I also love the Beyer DT880's with Black Dragon cables I bought for $200 from Audiogon. They don't top the HD800's but they sound damn good and are super comfy.

I didn't think I'd pay $1,300 for headphones, but I am now glad I did.... and I sold the Grados to someone who likes them.

I bought Koss ESP-9's in 1971, they were $150 which would be about $850~$900 today and I LOVED them for years (driven by HK-Citation 12 amp, SAE preamp, Akai open reel, AR turntable, Shure V15 pickup.....) - sigh- that was back in the day when I could hear above 15 kHz.

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #88 of 89
It is luck that the earphone price is more rational than the price of hi end home audio devices. say, The price of most hi end phones are much cheaper than some home audio cable.

So to me, there is no too clear price limitation on the phone if I like.

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #89 of 89
I can't vote. In the future it's possible I'll pay an awfull lot for the right headphones.

Some time ago I was into photography and lenses often made it hard for me. A good lens can set you back big time. The same goes for headphones I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back