[Preview] FiiO E18 Kunlun – Surprise, Surprise.
Oct 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #16 of 251
So far we have covered just about everything on the upcoming E18, so what is the surprise I have mentioned on the title? Well, if you have been chasing Android news as much as I do, you probably should know that USB Audio is supposed to be part of the Jelly Bean. Yet, besides some flagship devices from big brand that comes with their own custom built USB audio driver, the sad news is most of Jelly Bean devices just won’t detect USB DAC. It is a sad situation that I have experienced with my Xperia TX (JB 4.1.2). I have tried as many USB DAC as I could, but as usually, it keep telling me the USB DAC is drawing too much power, even when I have the USB DAC powered externally. Something in the stock Android USB audio driver or the OS itself seems to be missing, and I even started to doubt whether there is actually a stock USB audio driver or not – then comes the E18, takes my doubt away and turns it into joy. Now my TX has been transformed to a proper audiophile player. Okay, the sound quality isn’t quite as good as a DX100 or HM901, but it sure is more than good enough for day to day listening and way better than the smartphone itself. There is no guarantee that your Android will work, but there is more hope than ever. If anything, I reckon this is just about as close as a ‘must have’ for any Android user who suffer from a sub-par headphone-out on their smartphone.  

OMG! Can you confirm again that e18 won't be drawing any extra battery from my phone? This is the life-long issue I have when trying to do DAC/AMP combo with android device. Currently using galaxy s4 and tried to hook it up with Ibasso D-zero before. The sound was great but it drains 20%/hour listening which is ridiculous considering I lose only around 5%/hour max listening directly from the device. If E18 somehow figured out a solutin for that and even give me a better sound quality, it's pretty much everything I ever wish for. Can't wait till it's officially out for retail. 

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #17 of 251

Hi ClieOS, great review!!!

But I'm still a bit confused why it wouldn't work with Neutron.  From your review, you said about Neutron having a specific roll off at 20Hz and 20kHz.  That's EQ setting, not driver?  So if E18 has a different FR, why would it cause a physical conflict of using both?  Your pictures above has Neutron player in there.  Does it not output any audio at all?  What is an artifact of this conflict?

I'm curious because I'm waiting to receive E18 and was planning to use it with my Note 2 and Neutron MP (I have been obsessed with that audio player lately).  It would be very sad if I have to switch to another audio player since I like it's functionality and all the pro control options.

Not EQ, as I don't use EQ at all on any of the player.. My guess is the Neutron internal audio core has a different processing that is conflicting with E18 hardware, and thus causing the roll-off. It will still output sound, but obviously colored.

OMG! Can you confirm again that e18 won't be drawing any extra battery from my phone? This is the life-long issue I have when trying to do DAC/AMP combo with android device. Currently using galaxy s4 and tried to hook it up with Ibasso D-zero before. The sound was great but it drains 20%/hour listening which is ridiculous considering I lose only around 5%/hour max listening directly from the device. If E18 somehow figured out a solutin for that and even give me a better sound quality, it's pretty much everything I ever wish for. Can't wait till it's officially out for retail. 

E18 shouldn't draw any power from any smartphone, as the DAC section (which connects and draws power from the smartphone on other USB DAC) on E18 is fully self-powered.

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #18 of 251
  Not EQ, as I don't use EQ at all on any of the player.. My guess is the Neutron internal audio core has a different processing that is conflicting with E18 hardware, and thus causing the roll-off. It will still output sound, but obviously colored.

I assume you tried it with Dither on/off, EQ reset/off, no DSP effects, played with re-sampling quality, de-selected 64-bit processing, using ARMv7 + Neon version, etc.  I know I'm stating obvious, just that I really trust and respect your opinion but in the back of my mind hoping it ain't so because I really like Neutron MP lol!!!!  I even sent a link to this thread to Neutron MP developer so he can take a look.  You mentioned PowerAMP to be another option, but while looking at the screen shots and spec description I don't see anything close to Neutron.  At least I need to have crossfeed option to control stereo separation and dithering to warm up the sound.  Does PowerAMP support that?

Oct 28, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #19 of 251

I assume you tried it with Dither on/off, EQ reset/off, no DSP effects, played with re-sampling quality, de-selected 64-bit processing, using ARMv7 + Neon version, etc.  I know I'm stating obvious, just that I really trust and respect your opinion but in the back of my mind hoping it ain't so because I really like Neutron MP lol!!!!  I even sent a link to this thread to Neutron MP developer so he can take a look.  You mentioned PowerAMP to be another option, but while looking at the screen shots and spec description I don't see anything close to Neutron.  At least I need to have crossfeed option to control stereo separation and dithering to warm up the sound.  Does PowerAMP support that?

Yes, every option has been tried during the test. I am a big Neutron supporter as well but it is unfortunately that it just doesn't work that well with E18.

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #20 of 251

Yes, every option has been tried during the test. I am a big Neutron supporter as well but it is unfortunately that it just doesn't work that well with E18.

Got my E18 today, and spent over an hour playing with it.  You are absolutely correct, using it with Neutron introduces some distortion and reduces high frequency content.  I had to switch to stock audio player.  Everything was good afterwards, but I do miss crossfeed function on Neutron.

Will post my first impression writeup and add a bunch of pictures soon.

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #22 of 251

Can you please check it out?  Last night Neutron updated their player to v1.7.53 and I just did a very quick test which sounds to me like they fixed the problem?  Btw, the version they have on Google Play doesn't have Neon accelerator.  You need to go directly to Neutron d/l page: http://neutronmp.com/downloads/category/1-generic-android.html# to get Neon version which I find to be a lot faster on my Galaxy Note 2.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #23 of 251

Can you please check it out?  Last night Neutron updated their player to v1.7.53 and I just did a very quick test which sounds to me like they fixed the problem?  Btw, the version they have on Google Play doesn't have Neon accelerator.  You need to go directly to Neutron d/l page: http://neutronmp.com/downloads/category/1-generic-android.html# to get Neon version which I find to be a lot faster on my Galaxy Note 2.

Neon version only works with certain processors. Not every smartphone has such a processor.

I did a quick RMAA test and the result seems to be the same as last time.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #24 of 251
For the neutron issue...
In the Neutron audio hardware section there is an option to utilize generic driver.
Have you tried if it save neutron issue?

edit: anyhow neutron with my note 3 is unable to play usb output over 48 khz, stock sammy player + fiio e17 play hi res files.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #25 of 251
Ok, so How much and when will it be available. ON their website my Note2 is listed in the supported Phones!
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #26 of 251
  For the neutron issue...
In the Neutron audio hardware section there is an option to utilize generic driver.
Have you tried if it save neutron issue?

edit: anyhow neutron with my note 3 is unable to play usb output over 48 khz, stock sammy player + fiio e17 play hi res files.

All option have been tested, results are the same.

Android only handles up to 48kHz files for now, so your Note 3 is normal.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #29 of 251
Sorry guys, I'm just using my ears as "measurement" tool. When I tested E18 with Neutron player day before yesterday and early yesterday (their v1.7.52 version) - the difference in sound was significant between Note 2 stock music player and Neutron (in Neutron I had dithering and crossfeed disabled). After last night update to v1.7.53, I just spent some time a/b comparing and it sounds almost identical with a stock music player.  I don't know if its fully transparent, but there is definitely a significant improvement.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #30 of 251
So is this worth getting for my Note2. I just orded the X3, will this be good with the X3 too? My main cans are the W4R and my 15year old HD580's. My main DAC/AMP  has been my old D-Zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back