Prevent SE530 cable problem by injecting silicone / epoxy into the strain relief gap?
Jul 7, 2010 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Banned at his own request
Ordered an SE530 after I returned a FUBAR-right-out-of-the-box Triple.Fi 10 (retailer was out-of-stock, so cannot replace).I've been reading about the SE530 cable problem for the last three hours on Head-Fi.
I see that some cables crack around the area where it loops around the upper earlobe, while others have their cables shear right at the chunk of rubber that people call strain relief.
I am thinking of a method of prevention: Inject minute amounts of silicone glue or epoxy, then use an 'ear-guide' on the cable. I can get one dollar 'around-the-ear' earbuds and use those ear loops. This (in my head, at least) would prevent both the cracking (skin touches ear loop and not the cable) and the shearing (glue in the gap).
However, logically, this would void the warranty. Also, if I screw up, I would not be able to remove the glue.
In many of those 'cable problem' posts, people have mentioned that 'post-2008' cables are 'improved' so that they would no longer crack.
Could someone please confirm this.
Thank you.

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 5
I have sent back two pairs of 530's because of cracking.. my third pair *knock on wood* have been good for the past year +.. others cracked within 3-5months.. I use them 8+ hrs a day at work.. 

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
I have sent back two pairs of 530's because of cracking.. my third pair *knock on wood* have been good for the past year +.. others cracked within 3-5months.. I use them 8+ hrs a day at work.. 

You shouldn't knock your earphone on wood, if not it will not last past this month 
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 5
Where the cable enters the ear guide is going to be a point of bending and strain...

I think the only thing you can do is cross your fingers and be careful with them.

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 5
I was thinking something along the lines of using one of the ear guides might help if it is just the oil from your body getting on the cables. Of course they were supposed to fix that issue around a year ago didn't they? I haven't seen as many of those shure cable cracking threads as often as previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back