Pretty Awesome Day At The Record Shop!
Feb 8, 2008 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ingo

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I went to a record store today that I hadn't been to before. It's only a few minutes away from my house, but I had never seen/heard about it before.

I walked in and said hi to an employee and started going through their new arrivals/on sale bin that they have right at the front door. This store is really tiny, so I'm not expecting to get much out of it. Made my way all the way around the bin and only found one album that I was really interested in. There was one last little section that I hadn't been through yet, so I went back to it and started thumbing through. First thing that catches my eye is The Ventures "Batman Theme". "Wow, the cover looks really good", I thought to myself. Slide out the vinyl, look at it... what do you know, it's NM! "Hmm... how much was this?" $1.99! Sweet. So I pull that one, next record in the stack is The Ventures "Surfing". Guess what? Same quality (maybe even better) as the first and it's $2.99. Another employee comes up to me and notices I pulled out those records. He tells me that a guy came in and traded about 8 of those Ventures records and that he put the rest of them in the rock/pop/soul section. I didn't buy all 8 but I wanted to. Listening to The Ventures for eight albums in a row would probably be a bad idea if I ever want to listen to them again. So, I bought 4 Ventures and 5 other albums. All of them are VG+ or better and the most expensive record I bought was 5.99.

Here's what I ended up with:

The Ventures - Surfing $2.99
The Ventures - Batman Theme $1.99
The Ventures - Rock 'N Roll Forever $2.99
The Ventures - Super Psychedelics $2.99
Roy Orbison - There is only One $5.99
Norman Blake/Sam Bush/Others $4.99
Aretha Franklin - Aretha In Paris $2.99
Ella Fitzgerald - With Gordon Jenkins'
Orchestra and Chorus $2.99
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Self Titled $1.99

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #2 of 12
That's a great day's work, wish there was stores like that near me
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 12
I've had these feelings trawling my local used cd store. You just kinda walk around with this stupid grin on your face.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ventures - Surfing $2.99
The Ventures - Batman Theme $1.99
The Ventures - Rock 'N Roll Forever $2.99
The Ventures - Super Psychedelics $2.99

I'm particularly jealous of these. I just got some The Ventures records from my mother's and her uncle's old collection of records and I am seriously loving them.

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm particularly jealous of these. I just got some The Ventures records from my mother's and her uncle's old collection of records and I am seriously loving them.

Your previous thread actually inspired me to keep my eyes open. I looked for quite a while with no good results and it finally paid off.

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #9 of 12
Good score.

I picked up a copy of Keith Jarrett's Sun Bear Concerts recently in NM condition for $60. I couldn't get to the register with it quick enough! For those who don't know it, it's a 10 LP recording of 5 concerts in Japan from 1976, running around 7 hours. That's $6 per LP, and it's NM!

Feb 10, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 12
Very nice! I recently spent €80 on 9 CD's and thought that was a nice score, until I remembered how much vinyl that would've bought me. Still, any day buying music is a good day
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #12 of 12
A couple of weeks ago I scored The Kinks double-LP The Kink Kronikles for $9. It was an old cutout, no scratches anywhere, big gatefold cover near-pristine in plastic. (Actually, the beat-up plastic cover it was in made it look worn when it wasn't.) I've been meaning to find out how much it cost in 1973.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back