PRESS RELEASE: Sennheiser announces the MOMENTUM On-Ear headphone
Jul 11, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #31 of 109
Quote:
hrrrhrrr, they could just repackage the old ones and call them on-ear. The perfect crime.

Quote:
I think that these will be great and they look beautiful...
Funny that they release an on-ear version when, for some people, the original was basically on ear...

Yeah, I wonder what in the world Senn is up to by only calling these supra-aural when I'm pretty sure that the original Momentums were supra-aural to virtually everyone but small children?  I love the color scheme of a couple of these though.  I wish Sennheiser would make a true circumaural Momentum because the whole reason I never got a pair of these in the first place is that they were on my ears and not around them.

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #32 of 109
Interesting, wonder how it will compare sonically to its big sibling and if isolation is improved even more, being that they're on-ear. Not a fan of the colors but I'm sure they will catch a lot of attention.

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #35 of 109
Only midgets and toddlers would consider the original Momentums over ear. Maybe since these are actually DESIGNED to be on ear, they won't have the weird fit for some people like the others.

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #36 of 109
Quote:
Only midgets and toddlers would consider the original Momentums over ear. Maybe since these are actually DESIGNED to be on ear, they won't have the weird fit for some people like the others.

I kind of don't get it. Wasn't momentum designed to be a portable in the first place? And yet, they make another portable version of it?

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #37 of 109
It's basically like the V moda M80 vs M100. They're both portable. The M80 is smaller. This Momentum is smaller than the other. Some people want that. If the Momentum is going to be on ear regardless, I'd prefer whichever is the most comfortable . This one, with it's new pads may be more comfy.and whichever is smallest.

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #38 of 109
Quote:
Quote:

I kind of don't get it. Wasn't momentum designed to be a portable in the first place? And yet, they make another portable version of it?

It was, but it didn't have a portable form factor. i.e. it was a pretty large headphone to be truly portable since it didn't fold up, lie flat, and the case was really bulky.

My guess is that they responded to this sort of downfall and decided to make something smaller along the lines of the DT1350 and M-80, except with the Momehntum's oval earcups.

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #39 of 109
They look stunning. I want a pair of high-end on ears and was pretty sure I'd get the amperior, but these might be a good option too (although I've heard of build quality issues with the momentum).

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #43 of 109
The problem with the original Momentums is, as another contributor has already mentioned, their bulk and lack of a folding mechanism. The new, smaller ones should be more readily usable as a genuine portable. It is a shame, however, that all available colors are quite garish (as this could, if a little more subtly styled, be a P3 competitor...). Maybe they could try a version with aluminium (or wooden) cups :)?

Hopefully, the bass will be tighter and better defined than on the big ones. If the treble is decent, they could be an alternative to the "default option" HD25s!

The low impedance could be a problem with some amps / DAPs, though. I wonder if part of the secret of the HD25s' success is their 70 Ohm impedance - this makes matching easy.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #44 of 109
Quote:
The problem with the original Momentums is, as another contributor has already mentioned, their bulk and lack of a folding mechanism. The new, smaller ones should be more readily usable as a genuine portable. It is a shame, however, that all available colors are quite garish (as this could, if a little more subtly styled, be a P3 competitor...). Maybe they could try a version with aluminium (or wooden) cups
smily_headphones1.gif
?

Hopefully, the bass will be tighter and better defined than on the big ones. If the treble is decent, they could be an alternative to the "default option" HD25s!

The low impedance could be a problem with some amps / DAPs, though. I wonder if part of the secret of the HD25s' success is their 70 Ohm impedance - this makes matching easy.

Aluminum earcups would be nice, but there's the Amperior for that. Wood isn't a very consumer-friendly appearance from my experience. I don't know of a single headphone made of wood that consumers would want to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back