PRESS RELEASE: Sennheiser announces the MOMENTUM On-Ear headphone
Jul 13, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #63 of 109
Nope, agreed.  I liked the Amperior myself.  It was a bit pricey, but sounded great!

I think the problem with the Amperior is that there was not enough in the package to make it worthwhile spending the extra over the HD25. I'm also in the camp that considered the Amperior to sound brasher and harsher than the HD25, which I'm tempted to put down to the 18ohm drivers. I'm not a fan of this trend towards low impedance drivers, especially when you consider that my little 6th gen iPod nano has no trouble driving my 70ohm HD25s.

Anyway back to the Momentum on ears. I'm curious to try them. At the moment I have the full size Momentums sitting in their box doing nothing because I found them, well, a bit muffled and heavy going. If Sennheiser have managed to tighten up the bass, added some sparkle, and got rid of that 4.5KHz trough in the FR which sticks out like a sore thumb to my ears, then I may well be interested. However these would need to have one hell of good sound to replace my HD25s as my go to portables.

Jul 13, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #64 of 109
Quote:
Wow, you haven't seen some of the high end offerings from Audio-Technica, Denon, Grado, or Audeze.

In the context of 'portable' headphones, I sure haven't seen some of these high end Denon, Grado, or Audeze.
Grado's are open back, so let's put that aside for now.
Denon wooden on ears, I don't know of any (but I'll admit it right here that I don't care for Denon particularly so I wouldn't know their products well to begin with).
Audeze is portable in the "usable on the go" sense but not really on the "portable" sense... They're also open back.
As for Audio Technica, they have a line of wooden on ears, yes. If you're thinking of those bigger Wx000 series then... please, that's pushing it for "portable" as well. 
size]

Anyhow, depending on the location and climate and age group, wood on headphone is a instant no.
Look at any of those threads recently made by teenagers that want fashionable headphones for school... or even some people asking for DIY solutions with custom cups. The moment you say wood... yeah. Nope.

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #66 of 109
Aluminum earcups would be nice, but there's the Amperior for that. Wood isn't a very consumer-friendly appearance from my experience. I don't know of a single headphone made of wood that consumers would want to buy.

Wow, you haven't seen some of the high end offerings from Audio-Technica, Denon, Grado, or Audeze.

I said consumer-friendly for a reason. People aren't going to grab an LCD-2 thinking it's pretty. Heck even I think the LCD-2 is butt ugly; I'd rather not wear storm drain covers on my ears...

Denon's new line of headphones are OK in appearance to me.

Grado is okay but consumers are going to buy the plastic ones (SR70 or 80), not the $500 ones with wood.

Jul 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #67 of 109
A-T ESW9 and EW9 are quite popular here in China (both genuine and fake!).

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #68 of 109
Just bought the ivory colour one in Paris (fnac store near montparssa, sorry if I got it wrong, I am not French haha) yesterday during my Europe trip. Hah! What a timing :p

The sound is absolutely amazing and identical to the bigger brother. But well, it is not burnt in yet so I am expecting even better sound out of these things!

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #69 of 109
Brilliant idea!

Lets grab our most popular headphone, and make it smaller and with nifty colours!

(i wonder how they sound, i was not too impressed or swayed with the sound of the Momentums when i tried them)

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #70 of 109
I'd love those with the sound of the amperior. I love my amperior but I'm not a fan of the build with the cables.. mine has serious problems (left side goes dead 50% of the time when touching the cable) after only 3 months of use. I prefer the momentum build. However the sound of the amperior is much more fresh and fun, the monemtum has some HD650-sounding imo, which is laid back and cool but also boring and I often find myself cracking up the volume way too much, because I miss the treble.

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #71 of 109
Found a video review up! Apparently it's not as warm and more balanced. This is starting to sound pretty good to me. :cool:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC2W2aGm21E[/VIDEO]

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #72 of 109
I got to try them today :D
Isolation is practically nonexistant.... not sure how these would be anymore portable aside from the size factor... but they are light and pretty comfortable.
Not sure about wearing them for long hours since I haven't tried them for that long, naturally.

As for sound... yeah... a little odd to be perfectly honest. At least not my cup of tea.

They used velour pads; not sure if other pads exists.

Jul 15, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #73 of 109
Quote:
I got to try them today
biggrin.gif

Isolation is practically nonexistant.... not sure how these would be anymore portable aside from the size factor... but they are light and pretty comfortable.
Not sure about wearing them for long hours since I haven't tried them for that long, naturally.

As for sound... yeah... a little odd to be perfectly honest. At least not my cup of tea.

They used velour pads; not sure if other pads exists.

The pads on these are actually Alcantara, more similar to suede than velour but very comfortable IMO.  

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #75 of 109
They will be releasing the on ear for the holidays in black, brown and red as well. So there will be 7 colors in total.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back