PRESS RELEASE: Bang & Olufsen announces BeoPlay H3 and H6 headphones
Dec 27, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #301 of 353
they look nice, i expect a nice sound too! i hope so

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #303 of 353
  Is anyone using these with an iPod or mobile phone unamped? I am concerned they may not be loud enough without an amp and I do not want to buy/use one.

Thanks!

They were constructed to run with iPhone and they are not intended to be driven by an amp - even though adding an amplifier can give them more headroom and make the bass tighter. You can easily run it directly from your phone. They are 32 Ohm impedance so that is no problem. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #305 of 353
  They were constructed to run with iPhone and they are not intended to be driven by an amp - even though adding an amplifier can give them more headroom and make the bass tighter. You can easily run it directly from your phone. They are 32 Ohm impedance so that is no problem. 

Thanks. My biggest concern is that their SPL is only 97 dB. That's pretty low compared to other headphones (that are made for mobile devices) which are usually 102+ dB SPL at least. I am concerned about the BeoPlays being too low and me having to crank the volume to the max (or add an amp) just to hear them. This isn't a problem for you? If not then that is good news and makes my decision easier.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #306 of 353
Thanks. My biggest concern is that their SPL is only 97 dB. That's pretty low compared to other headphones (that are made for mobile devices) which are usually 102+ dB SPL at least. I am concerned about the BeoPlays being too low and me having to crank the volume to the max (or add an amp) just to hear them. This isn't a problem for you? If not then that is good news and makes my decision easier.

I use H6 on nexus5/iPhone5, ipad and macbook pro with no issue. You won't get them to play at ear piercing level but casual listening level is no problem. And of course this is without any amps.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #307 of 353

Yeah you are right, they are not as sensitive as some other in the same league and as hifidk says these are not the loudest headphones you can get. To my ears they are our enough but I do not need loud music and try to keep the volume as low as possible. But with the H6 I am - unlike with the Amperior - able to go all the way to max volume on me iPhone 5. 

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #308 of 353
Well I was able to procure a brand new pair for a killer deal today. So far I'm very impressed. They seem very balanced. Deep and taught bass (never overblown), ever present mids and extended treble (though not "bright"). Comfort is A+, as is the construction. I'll update them on my portable closed headphone thread here after a few weeks with them:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-b-w-p7-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-executive-kef-m500-and-skullcandy-aviators

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #309 of 353
Just picked up a pair of tan H6's a few days ago.  Here are my initial impressions:

These are about the most comfortable pair of phones I have used.  The only ones I have used that are about as comfortable are the Sony MDR-1's.  I prefer phones with soft leather ear cups instead of plush materials.  These phones are really light and do not have much skull pressure.  They use memory foam under the soft leather, and the cups fit around my ears with no rubbing.  A+ for comfort.

When I first put these on in the Apple store, I thought they were awful for the first few minutes -- then I realized that the cord wasn't quite plugged all the way into the headphone jack!  Once I took care of that problem, they sounded good.  Of course, the music selections on the store's iPod all sucked, so it was hard to appreciate the phones.  The other issue is that they really don't play that loud direct from an iPhone compared to other phones.  However, I liked the clarity of the phones enough to buy them and give them a shot. 

My primary use for these phones is watching movies, TV shows and listening to music from my MacBook Pro - mostly at home while in bed.  I have a separate pair of Audio-Technica noise canceling phones for traveling.  Also, I use a Centrance DacPort DAC/headphone amp, so I wasn't concerned about the phones being too quiet.  

For point of reference, I also own or have recently owned Sennheiser HD600, Sennheiser wireless RS220, the Audio-Technicas, and my wife has the B&W P5s.  

I auditioned the B&W P7s, the Sony MDR-1Rs, and the PSBs.  I found the B&W's too bloated sounding and the PSB's were really uncomfortable on my head.  The Sony's sounded pretty good, but lacked the clarity and openness of the B&O's to my ears.

Plugged directly into the MBP, the H6's are plenty loud (much louder than plugged into my iPhone), but they really sing when plugged into the Dacport.  The bass is plenty strong for me and the mids and highs sound very clear and sweet with no harshness.  

I know this is heresy, but I actually enjoy the sound on these more than the Senn HD600's (I also recognize that I did not have a proper headphone amp for the Sennheisers, however, and I sold those).  

Anyway, for people looking for super-comfy, stylish, closed-back headphones to listen to a source a bit stronger than plugged directly into a phone, I think these are hard to beat for the price.     

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #310 of 353
^ I really like the H6's after a full weekend with them. That said, my P7s ain't going anywhere. I don't find the P7s bloated in anyway. I can understand these sentiments about the Momentums. But I actually sold the Momentums for their upper mids/treble that would put Miles Davis behind the drums. 
blink.gif
 Both are outstanding headphones. The H6's are quick/neutral/tight while the P7s are musical/natural. Both have their strong suits/weaknesses. But the comfort on the H6's is likely the best I've had yet with a portable headphone. They are so incredibly light and I can literally wear them for hours and forget that they're on my head.

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #311 of 353
Interesting.  I wonder if it was something about the pair I was listening to at the Apple store or the way it was set up.  I went into the store thinking I was probably going to get the P7s (since I like my wife's P5s quite a bit for their size), but I really didn't like them at all.  Like I said - it was a far from ideal listening experience.  Oh well - I'm happy with the H6's anyway.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #312 of 353
  Interesting.  I wonder if it was something about the pair I was listening to at the Apple store or the way it was set up.  I went into the store thinking I was probably going to get the P7s (since I like my wife's P5s quite a bit for their size), but I really didn't like them at all.  Like I said - it was a far from ideal listening experience.  Oh well - I'm happy with the H6's anyway.

Could be the Apple Store? They're never quiet and I find auditioning headphones there just horrible. One has to crank up the sound to even really get a pulse of what's going on, but that's un-natural too. I MUCH prefer the H6s at home than at the Apple Store FWIW.

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #313 of 353
I tried these in the apple store while still on my honeymoon with the M100.
Immediately, the openness and comfort is apparent. These are very different headphones. But, that's good to know. If you're like me, with broad tastes, then one setup won't serve all your purposes. I'd use these for some of my other-than-EDM listening.
Despite the closed look, the H6 has an open, airy sound a la Grado (I dare to say). This is not to draw a strict comparison between these and any particular model of Grado. Just to underscore this characteristic.
For the money, I would weigh my options very carefully in this category. But as a straight iPod/iPhone headphone, with no amp, they're very attractive.

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #314 of 353
So the general consensus is that the H6s are more comfortable than the P7s but the P7s 'sound' better? I haven't found anywhere where I can try these yet so I am relying on impressions (Apple store stock them but I haven't seen any available for trial). 

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #315 of 353
It is a matter of taste and preference. Some will prefer the sound of the H6, some will prefer the P7 (and many will like both for different reasons).

And just to add some more spice, the Onkyo ES-HF300 sounds like a cross between the H6 and P7!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back