PreSonus Central Station: DAC/head-amp/Pre-amp [comprehensive info]
Oct 19, 2006 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 138

Ferbose

Headphoneus Supremus
PreSonus Central Station (CS) is a seemingly complex product packed with more features than most audiophiles are used to. But it is an elegant one-box solution that competes with many dedicated components. Its plain looks and modest asking price ($500) belies its reference-quality sound. By audiophile standards CS seems like a miracle product for its value/price ratio. CS is selling very well in the pro-audio market due to its features and sound, and hence the economics behind CS is totally different from audiophile products. From my personal experience and discussion with other CS users, I believe CS is the affordable ticket to hi-end sound that many fledging audiophiles seek. It is not going to be easy to explain what CS is and does, and how to get the most out of it, so bear with me.

Part I. Inside and Out

Front View

CS_front.jpg

Rear View

CS_back.jpg

Inside View (a separate rear circuit board is removed)

CS_inside.jpg

A closer look at the mechanical relays (yellow rectangles). 34 of these pricy relays ($200 for 100 pieces) are used to build a state-of-the-art passive preamp.

CS_relay.jpg

Part II. Main features

For audiophiles CS can provide a DAC, two independent headphone amplifiers, a passive and an active preamp, and a line-level input/output selector—it's the audio equivalent of Swiss army officer's knife. Before computers, the centerpiece of the studio is the mixer. With computer audio the mixer is no longer required but many of its I/O functions are still needed. CS is designed to replace the mixer in the computer audio setup. CS's many uses in a studio are illustrated in this picture:

test.jpg

To fully appreciate the many functions of CS, its manual includes this block diagram, which is complete and accurate AFAIK:

CS_block.jpg

Part IV. DAC Quality

Simply put, CS's internal DAC (192 kHz/24 bit) can compete with stand-alone DACs in the $500 range. In all honesty, as receiving and D/A chips continue to improve, differences between DACs across different price ranges are quickly shrinking.
Looking inside, I see AKM chips for S/PDIF receiver (AK4117VF) and D/A converter (AK4394VF), and Motorola MC33079D for output stage. These chips are commonplace, but the proof of sound quality is always in the ear, not the parts list.

At home I compared CS to Benchmark DAC1 ($975 in 2004) and Sony DVP-NS900V ($800 in 2002). DAC1 sounds a bit more detailed and refined than CS, but the difference is so small that under instant A/B they could appear identical. The Sony is a first-generation SACD/DVD player known for its audio quality. But the difference between Sony and CS is less subtle. CS has better low-level details and less grain in the treble. To bring out the best sound from CS, I find power conditioning to be rather beneficial. CS uses an outboard PSU that looks like a jumbo wall-wart. Plugging CS into my Furman Power Factor Pro conditioner ($230), details are better resolved and treble becomes smoother. This is not to say CS has an apparent flaw in its power supply design, since my Sony player benefits similarly from power conditioning. In contrast, DAC1 seems to benefit minimally from conditioning if at all, but it is well known that DAC1 has a very robust power supply. In my system the Toslink sounds better than coaxial digital input, but YMMV.

A meet situation is less than ideal for judging a DAC, but it can still provide some perspectives. At a meet I set up an A/B of CS against Esoteric DV-50S's, while CS is plugged into my Furman conditioner. The person who brought DV-50S ($5000) did a blind test using my Cayin tube amp and K1000. He ended up picking CS as the better source after 10 min of listening. This is only for fun and proves nothing, but I was impressed by CS nonetheless. Also, DV-50S is a heck of a transport and probably made CS sound better than usual. In another setup, CS was not plugged into any conditioner in a four-way comparison against AQVOX ($800), Lavry DA10 ($1000) and Benchmark, and CS sounded almost as good except for a slight sibilance in the treble.

A fellow head-fier music_man took CS to his work place, a professional studio, and reported that CS outperformed certain DACs in the $1000 range. His studio has very clean AC coming out of a monstrous APC power system. Music_man's view is echoed in a pro-audio review in Mix magazine, in which CS is said to be as good, if not better than Apogee's Mini DAC ($900). Proper power conditioning can turn CS from a pretty good DAC into a hi-end unit holding its own against the big boys, and the same applies to its headphone amp. A decent conditioner like Furman Power Factor Pro ($230) is really a worthwhile investment for CS owners, in terms of sonic improvement and equipment protection. Furman is the leader in power treatment for sound professionals, and another trustworthy brand is APC, the power leader in the computer industry.

As such, CS can confidently compete with stand-alone DACs in the $500 range. I did find a cheaper DAC that sounds just as good, the fully modified Zhaolu D1.3 at around $300. But Zhaolu is shipped from Asian modders and offers practically no service or warranty. PreSonus is an American pro-audio company (CS is made in China) with real service and support. Moreover, CS can be bought at Guitar Centers for under $500 and this allows for home auditioning.

Headphone Amplifier Sound Quality

CS offers two independent headphone amplifiers that can play two different sources simultaneously. The OP-amp is Motorola MC33079D, and the distortion spec is not especially low (0.015% THD+N at 150 mW into 60 ohms). At the first glance, the amps seemed like an afterthought, and I had pretty low expectations because I was previously underwhelmed by PreSonus HP4. It turns out I am dead wrong.

At home I compared CS's headphone jack to Benchmark DAC1. Although DAC1's amp measures impressively, CS clearly betters it with smoother treble and warmer midrange. DAC1's amp is "lean and mean" while CS is "big and easy." To be fair, the amp module in DAC1 (priced at $150 as separate PCB) is decent for its price, at least still a league above the stock amp of a Zhaolu D1.3 which sounds muffled and loses details. CS is not as warm as my Cayin HA-1A single-ended tube amplifier ($750), but it is just as pleasant on the ears. Stereophile recently published a rave review on HA-1A but CS is just as good.

At a meet I compared CS with an RSA Hornet and found CS to sound bigger and Hornet ($300) a bit sweeter. Neither is better but just different. Strangely, CS and Grace m902 ($1500) instant A/B via a switch box sounded almost identical to me and another head-fier. I thought that was a fluke under the meet situation, until music_man posted a comparison of the two at his studio. He and his Grammy-winning engineer boss agreed that CS sounds better, and replaced m902 immediately. I must say I am surprised by CS "giant-killer" potentials.

In addition, Head-fier Uncle Erik posted that he detested K501's anemic bass until he used it on a CS. Another European head-fier told me in a private correspondence that CS is as good as his older Corda PreHead. Based on these opinions I think it is fair to say that CS is a reference-quality headphone amplifier (m902 is the current reference in studios). CS has its sonic character, which is smooth and relaxed by SS standards. It takes away the sibilance in K501's treble, and reduces the edge on SR225. The amp is very quiet but does not sound hyper-detailed. The background is black on portable cans like KSC-75 or PX-100. At the same it is immensely powerful, to the point that I regularly use K1000 (only 74 dB/mW) with CS for jazz. Considering that K1000 is 46 dB less sensitive than PX-100, the dynamic range of the amp seems boundless. The dynamic range, bass fullness and expansive soundstage together give the amp a "big" sound.

The headphone section on CS also improves with proper power conditioning, just like the DAC section. A more surprising finding is that "cue" pathway sounds better than "main" pathway through the headphone jack. According to the block diagram the "cue" pathway has one extra volume pot and two op-amps, but it actually sounds smoother.

Pre-amp Sound Quality

CS can be used both as a passive and an active preamp. The main selling point is CS is its passive preamp, a state-of-the-art design with utter transparency. The signal path consists of military-grade resistors and mechanical relays. Relays are controlled by programmable chips to determine the suitable combination of resistors for each volume setting. The proper name is digitally controlled analog switched resistor network. You can find similar designs in Theta Gen VIII DAC or Rega Cursa 3 preamps, but in those machines there are still transistors in the signal path (active). In CS it is completely passive. Although the volume is digitally controlled, PreSonus tries to make it feel analog. The main volume knob is not stepped and it only controls the programmable chip. The volume changes smoothly when the knob is turned and there is no digital readout. The relays (NEC EE2-12NUX, $200 for 100 pieces) look like yellow rectangles and 34 of them of used. CS is well worth its price just for these costly parts.

Theoretically the passive preamp has the cleanest sound, cleaner than any active preamp. In reality passive preamp is often compromised by impedance mismatch (low input impedance and high output impedance). To tackle the impedance problem multiple resistors in the signal path have to be variable/switchable. Passive preamps using only a single variable resistor (potentiometer or stepped attenuator) will always exhibit impedance mismatch. Some hi-end stepped attenuators have a separate resistor network (on a circuit board) at each step to swap multiple resistors in and out of the signal path. But these are bulky, expensive, and have limited steps and potential contact problems. The high-tech solution is to use a network of resistors and digitally controlled relays to do the switching. The relays in CS can withstand 10 million operations (that's 1000 times a day for 25 years), so it will outlast potentiometers or stepped attenuators. From my research I believe CS's circuitry is the best way to construct a passive preamp today, but it has not been adopted by any audiophile passive preamp.

Did CS actually solve the impedance mismatch problem? According to PreSonus the output impedance of CS is the same as the upstream source but the input impedance of CS is 2-5 kohms. Active preamps generally have input impedance of 50-100 kohms. So the key is the ability of the source to drive a load of lower impedance. 2V output into a 2 kohm load requires only 1 mA of current, and the output stage of decent sources today should not distort at such levels. For instance, Benchmark DAC1 can even drive a 120 ohm load (i.e., a headphone) very well via XLR out. Of course it is also desirable to keep the cable length short and capacitance low, but most audiophiles are already doing that.

On paper, CS's passive volume control is state-of-the-art. But how does it sound? I have read half a dozen pro-audio reviews of CS and they all agree that it sounds like nothing is there. My personal experience is the same. I have connected different components to the passive preamp output of CS and never sensed any change to the sound. The engineer who designed Benchmark DAC1 insists that the front volume pot (bypassable) does not alter the sound, but many users and including myself feel otherwise. I actually bypass DAC1's volume pot and use CS's passive preamp to achieve total transparency.

I don't have another preamp at home to compare to CS. But music_man took a CS to his studio at work and posted that CS sounds better than a highly-regarded Manley tube preamp. Well, I guess the transparency of a passive preamp is hard to beat at any price.

CS uses cutting-edge circuitry to tackle the impedance problem which has plagued passive preamps for decades. It looks like PreSonus has succeeded and turned CS into a breakthrough product. A no-compromise preamp at $500 is unheard of, and PreSonus is only able to pull it off because of high sales volume. CS is aiming at the entire pro-audio market switching from mixers to computers. With the success of CS, I suspect that "switched resistor network" will soon become the new trend in volume control circuitry.

Input and Output

CS can act as a source selector (two digital, three analog), and as an output selector. The analog inputs and outputs are TRS jacks. One can use TS plugs for unbalanced and TRS plugs for balanced. CS automatically detects/converts between balanced and unbalanced signals. I personally use Mogami TRS-to-XLR and Pro-Co TS-to-RCA cable. CS might restrict the use of hi-end interconnects but I don't see why using hi-quality/low-price Mogami or Pro-Co cables would be a compromise in any way. The three passive outs (A/B/C) can be individually activated but A and B can't be simultaneously on.

Conclusion

PreSonus Central Station is highly versatile, and exhibits excellent sound quality in every application. It certainly can compete with standalone DACs or headphone amps in the $500 range. As a preamp it is state-of-the-art. CS is a great one-box solution for anyone trying to build a quality speaker and/or headphone system on a budget. No audiophile company could ever offer such a great value at such a low price, but fortunately CS is a pro-audio gear that sells a lot and therefore governed by very different economics. Its utilitarian looks might scare away some audiophiles but that's hardly a reason to not recommend this ground-breaking product to everyone.

Oct 19, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 138
I agree with most of what ferbose just said,
I just want to add for the current and future owners to take care of those TRS/Jack plugs, when you put it in there is a short time where the system is short circuited, and about 1-2months ago I was pluging and unpluging stuff while everything was powered up and I must have not pushed a plug to the bottom of the socket as I burned my CS and the headphone out of my mp3 player.
My experience with the CS customer service was pretty good (the US one, when I called the french one they were awful but that s usual in france), the people were very helpful and they agreed to repair/replace my unit without hassle. It s currently on it s way back to me, the only thing regrettable is that their turnaround time for a repair is approx 3 weeks which I find kind of long.
Anyway, great product at a great price, the preamp function with TRS (ie you could use balanced connections, which I m going to do once I get y unit back) is itself worth the price.

Oct 19, 2006 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 138
Great job, Ferbose! This is one of the best reviews/explanations I've seen here.

If only the CS had a power switch, though. That's my only complaint.

Oct 19, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 138
I was deciding between the CS and a Stello HP100. The only thing I was concerned about with the CS was the headphone. The Stello was losing anyway because of the higher price and lack of features. I cannot believe I just said, but yes, I want more in the box if it is done right. Usually when a company puts so many features it seriously sacrifices on quality. It is nice to see that someone is doing it right. I can't wait to hear the DAC too! The only problem I have is that I need to find a new 220v power supply when I move to Asia early next year. I contacted the Presonus tech guy via email only to hear him say that they don't make a 220v version of the power supply. The problem I have with that is the fact they list distributors all over the world and in 220v land! You cannot make me believe that those customers must use a step-up converter. Oh well, I am getting one anyway! I will figure out the voltage issue later. It may be as ugly as hell, but if it gives me a transparent passive BALANCED preamp with no issues on impedance for under $2000 I am happy! Now I just have to figure out how to make it not look so damned ugly! Maybe a larger wood faceplate and get those blue bits painted silver or something!

Oct 20, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 138
Very nice write up.

I dont have a lot of experience with other DACs and preamps, but the CS really sounds fantastic. I do believe the HR-2 bests the CS amps, but I believe the CS amps were better than the sr-71, or either of my Xin amps. I just recently purchased a cheap Furman power conditioner and did not think to re-run a test against the HR-2, but now I will. I am thrilled with the flexibility of this thing, and, this being my first DAC, really wonder how others manage without it. I feel lucky to have happened along Ferbose's original review before I unnecessarily spent $1000 more than I had to.

Incidentally, with incentives ($25 gift card and a free controller that I sold for $100) the CS really only cost me $375- what a deal!!!

Oct 20, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 138
I owned an HP4 ( which sits alongside my CS for basic purposes ). Became interested in the CS w/ Ferbose's initial review and finally got one when he posted about the Musician Friend's Deal ( CS for $400 ). Great unit, and the preamp is absolutely great.

All outputs on it are labeled "balananced". They switch from from balanced to unbalanced mode depending on the use of TS ( 2 conductor ) or TRS ( 3 conductor ) cables.

Also: with regard to the headphone amp section; they have a very neutral, "transparent" feel. Adequately powerful but not fatiguing.

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 138
Yes, a very thorough and well written review.

Thanks Ferbose.

If Presonus will has another free controller promo like they did a couple of months ago I'll jump on it.

Oct 20, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #9 of 138
Stop it! Started with a Presonus HP4, added a Go-Vibe 5, am waiting on a Corda HeadFive amp to show up on my doorstep any day now and then this review. On top of it all someone mentioned how well it worked with their K501 & SR-225 headphones. Thanks for the review -- well done.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #10 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Allen
Stop it! Started with a Presonus HP4, added a Go-Vibe 5, am waiting on a Corda HeadFive amp to show up on my doorstep any day now and then this review. On top of it all someone mentioned how well it worked with their K501 & SR-225 headphones. Thanks for the review -- well done.
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't forget how much better than the HP4 it is supposed to sound!

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #11 of 138
Hmm...I read somewhere that the amp section on the CS has a boring/dry sound, that it was nothing too special like other headphone amps. Basically "wire with gain."

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #13 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
That's nothing wrong with "wire with gain"

Of course not. I was just saying that I remember reading that somewhere; Ferbose found the sound to be rather smooth and more colored, it seems (Correct me if I'm wrong). I don't know, but I just get the idea that the amp won't be anything spectacular compared to your run-of-the-mill headphone out on a receiver or something.

Would you say that the built-in amp is authoritative enough to drive all headphones (Minus K1000s and what not)? Basically, an end-it-all type of amp (Of course there's upgraditis, but I'm saying is that does it drive high impedance cans well enough that the only point in upgrading would be different sound signatures?).

Oct 20, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #14 of 138
Ferbose The engineer who designed Benchmark DAC1 insists that the front volume pot (bypassable) does not alter the sound said:
Ferbose,
I don't know if I've brought this up before but there is a common misconception out there regarding the Dac1 "direct" out. There is no way to bypass the volume pot in the Dac1. If you use the "variable" output you go through a volume pot controled at the front of the dac by the large volume knob. If you use the "direct" out you go through a duplicate pair of the EXACT same pots that are controled by the trimmers at the back of the Dac. The only difference is that the fixed out is meant to be set (calibrated) for an optimum output level for a given application and left at that setting. That is why the only way to access the trimmers is with a screwdriver (you can verify this with Benchmark). (You do realize that the size of the big volume control knob at the front of the Dac1 compared to the tiny screw type trimmer controls is completely irrelevant to the actual electronics?) Even though the EXACT same components are in both signal paths some people still claim there is a difference. For the most part I think this difference is largely imagined but I admit that, even knowing what I know, I also found that the "direct" out sounds "slightly" cleaner. In discussions over at Audio Asylum the concensus amoungst people who know how the dac is configured is that the signal path is routed slightly differently in the "direct" out and is thus less susceptable to noise. But be clear about this, there is no way to bypass the volume pots in the Dac1. When you throw the CS into the chain you are actually going through two sets of volume controls (the Dac1's and the CS). I seriously doubt that you are going to improve on tiny differences in the Dac1 one's output (which results from a "slightly" different signal path routing) by adding an extra set of cables , connectors and a bunch of passive components in the CS. At best you are going to get the origonal sound you would have gotten out of the Dac1 alone. Be carefull that you aren't misinterpreting the subtractive/additive colorations (that are an inevitable result of an extra set of cables connectors and passive components) for "improvement". This is an inherant danger in subjective sound quality evaluation.

Ps As I noted on the origonal thread, I don't find the "cue" path better. Maybe a tad "smoother" but to my ears that's a result of the subtractive coloration of an extra volume pot. There is NO WAY that the CUE path could be better. An extra volume pot and longer traces cannot possibly "improve" on the "main" headphone output. Here again, as in so many things in Audioville, colorations are interpreted as improvements. To my ears the most uncolored, surgically precise sound I have yet heard comes directly out of the Benchmark Dac1. The CS is a pleasant second but "not quite" there (unless as Musicman often points out the CS is fed the purist of power and the best of digital signals). In my estimation, if one wants the very best, the cheaper easier solution is the Dac1 (assuming reference quality headphones that are capable of revealing these subtlties of course). On the other hand if one wants something that gets you 98% there for $400 less ($400 for the CS and approximately another ~$200 for a line conditioner = $600) then the CS is the way to go.

Pps. There is one uncanny phenomenon I've noticed about the Dac1. When I listen to the CS (or my Ipod/hornet/e500 combo or my main speaker rig for that matter) I sometimes hear what sounds like very subtle distortion. When I go to the Dac1/k701 combination there is NEVER any doubt what it is. I can tell instantly whether what I'm hearing is distortion or (as is often the case) some complex harmonic overtones of an instrument that are particularly hard to reproduce accurately. The Dac1 is where I turn when I want an know with absolute certainty what is going on in a recording.

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:21 AM Post #15 of 138
great "revised" review, ferbose!

i wanted to point out the following in fairness to manufacturers of compared equipment:

you must realise that when we compare the cs to products that are much more expensive the differences are minute. they actually boil down to what works best for the individual using the equipment. lot's of other high end equipment still has it's place. it does say a lot about the cs that it is a player in this field. being only $500 msrp. it does not necessarily replace everything in a pro studio with one box. it works very good in certain areas of a studio.
as a dac/headphone amp for headphiles it is tremendous.

freefilter, i use the cue to indeed add "color". for enjoyment listening i find that preferable. for studio mastering the cue is not used.

you also must realise that the distortion you hear is neither the dac1 or the cs. it is the k701. as good as they are, they have a major shortcoming. certain transients turn them into $5 headphones for a quick moment sometimes. i have a certain live recording of paul simon's "50 ways to leave your lover" that simply destroys the k701's. whereas, pretty much any other headphones or loudspeakers can pull it off. even though the distortion is in the recording.

music_man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back