Prepping RCA Jacks on Reciever, how do I get the best connection?
Apr 5, 2008 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mozhoven

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, everything seems to have gold-plated contact surfaces these days - including any decent interconnect cable. That being said, my receiver and CD player do not. Silver surfaces as far as the eye can see.

Does this defeat the purpose of gold-plated connectors? Is there something I can do to improve the connection prior to installing the new interconnects? (or shouldn't do...)
confused.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 11
You can use some contact cleaner, check your local electronics supply store.
There's high end expensive contact enhancer, but I'd say (I have no data/evidence) that a decent electronic contact cleaner will do as good a job as the "audiophile" contact "enhancers"
<digs through toolbox>

I use contact cleaner from M.G. Chemicals for about $10, lasts for years, spray can type.
(not affiliated)

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 11
Radio Shack sells DeoxIT and ProGold. (There are solutions used for military applications, but they're difficult to obtain.) Merely, mating and unmating a connector a few times (perhaps twisting while in place) breaks through some of the oxidation that forms.

Apr 5, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 11
I thought some abrasion by the RCA jack would help, but wasn't sure if any scoring on the surface would distort anything.

What about a little steel wool and denatured alcohol?

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozhoven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought some abrasion by the RCA jack would help, but wasn't sure if any scoring on the surface would distort anything.

What about a little steel wool and denatured alcohol?

0000 steel wool with a bit of some light lubricant (alcohol would work) would work fine. Then wipe with a soft cotto rag.

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 11
Is it the scratching up of the surface that improves the connection, or is it the polishing?

If it is the latter, I have the Micro-mesh 9-step sanding set that goes from 1200 grit to 12,000 grit. The end result is a mirror finish.

Any benefit by doing that instead?

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozhoven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it the scratching up of the surface that improves the connection, or is it the polishing?

If it is the latter, I have the Micro-mesh 9-step sanding set that goes from 1200 grit to 12,000 grit. The end result is a mirror finish.

Any benefit by doing that instead?

It's removing the oxidation, dust, etc. that improves the connection. I'll second 0000 steel wool with denatured alcohol.

Apr 5, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 11
I used Deoxit and Progold for all my connection needs. I use it to clean the contacts of my $150 flashlights and you can actually see the effect right away (more stable light output)

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #9 of 11
I second the Progold although I now prefer Silclear. $35.00 will get you a lifetime's supply. Aside from the sonic issues which seem pretty clear to me, it is always cool to bring an old battery to life (in a flashlight or other gizmo) with the simple application of these enhancers to the battery ends.

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 11
It isn't silver, it's nickel. When you push a connector onto it, the slight abrasiveness of the connector will microscopically dig into the metal making a connection. If you want to polish your connectors, then this cleaning solutions and recommendations will work but it's not required to make a good electrical connection.

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 11
To address the original poster's question as to whether the nickel contacts on the receiver defeat the purpose of having gold plated interconnects, as far as I know, the main reason for gold plated connectors is to prevent corrosion, which can cause bad electrical connections. I would have a very hard time hearing the difference between a brand new nickel plated connector and a new gold plated connector, all other things being equal. Give the connectors twenty years to corrode, however, and it might be a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back