Preparing for SR-225 arrival. Any tips?
Jun 18, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #16 of 43
Thanks for all the advice. I just bought the 1/4" to 1/8" Grado adapter. Cheapest I could find it shipped was like $21 soI just paid the $25 and ordered it from Headphone.com. If anyone could link me to some of the best places to purchase the pads that are worth trying like the flats and 414s(maybe dyed black or already modded?) it would be appreciated. Also is there anyone that could send me/point me in the direction of a pink noise audio file? I think running them out of my Audigy LS with a pink noise flac or something is my best bet to burn them in.

Jun 18, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #18 of 43
I agree, does the adapter really make that much of a difference? If I am going to be use my Audigy and Ipod as my sources I figure it is worth it to have a good 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, I'm sure I could pick one up at Radioshack for $5, is there a quality difference though? Is it worth the $20 for the cabled Grado adapter over a radioshack adapter? I think the cabled is a good idea because I don't want to be carrying around an iPod with some 5 inch protrusion.

Jun 18, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #20 of 43
Try to get high bitrate/lossless files.[if you havent, already]

Jun 18, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by descendents /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, does the adapter really make that much of a difference? If I am going to be use my Audigy and Ipod as my sources I figure it is worth it to have a good 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, I'm sure I could pick one up at Radioshack for $5, is there a quality difference though? Is it worth the $20 for the cabled Grado adapter over a radioshack adapter? I think the cabled is a good idea because I don't want to be carrying around an iPod with some 5 inch protrusion.

I doubt they make that much difference, but I'm sure you'll be using it for a long time so you may as well have the best, and if you're going to be using it with an iPod the cabled one is a good idea.

Jun 18, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #24 of 43
My advice is ROCK ON!!!! You will find yourself gravitating towards good recordings. They sound so GOOD.

Jun 18, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by descendents /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it worth the $20 for the cabled Grado adapter over a radioshack adapter? I think the cabled is a good idea because I don't want to be carrying around an iPod with some 5 inch protrusion.

The Grado cable is only $15 and worth it.

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #26 of 43
My advise is as follows:

* Get some flat pads, to help knock down the 225's shrill treble.

* Go easy on bending the headband. In fact I wouldn't do it at all, it's easy to over do it and make them too loose. Look at your new headphones like a new pair of shoes, that they will break-in over time and fit you just perfectly by using them.

Other than that just enjoy until you are ready to upgrade.

- augustwest

Jun 18, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy lots of CD and blacklist Head-fi from your web browser.

x2

and the grado 1/4 to 1/8 adapter does definitely sound better then the radioshack one but its not a whole lot of difference if you're going to be powering off your ipod. Just be prepared to re-listen to all your albums again with an amazed look on your face

I said this a lot when I first listened to the 225s
"there were back up vocals in this song?"

Jun 18, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif

* Go easy on bending the headband. In fact I wouldn't do it at all, it's easy to over do it and make them too loose. Look at your new headphones like a new pair of shoes, that they will break-in over time and fit you just perfectly by using them.

From personal experience, I have indeed bent a few Grado headbands out a little too far. I was able to bend the headband back in (tighten them up) just as easily as I was able to stretch the headband out (loosen them up).

But yeah, if needed, stretch the headband out in small increments. There is absolutely no need to be overzealous and go all Hulk on them. But if you do over do it, it can easily be reversed.

In summary, stretch them if needed to improve comfort, but do it in small, gentle increments.

DO NOT stretch them like this:

tyllhulk.jpg

boob-phones.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back