preference Digital or Analog Soldering Station
Jun 13, 2011 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Rat Salad

100+ Head-Fier

My old station blew out (used a lot for RC cars and misc repair.  I got a buddy can get me same (nice) price on a pace ST50 or Pace ST30.  Mostly the same (auto shut-off and all).

Anyone think there is a benefit or one type digital or analog over the other?

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 12
I have a Pace analog station, and a Pace digital station. I greatly prefer the digital over the analog. The digital has a feature which allows you to set a temperature and lock it so someone else can't come along and change it.

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 12
I've used both extensively, and I don't really care.  Digital is nice to have I guess, but you pay for it.

Jun 17, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 12
When I brought my station I wasn't fussed whether I ended up with a digital or analogue one. In the end I went with a digital one because it was only a few £ more than the analogue. I'm glad I did too, because digital has a useful feature. On my iron, the digital readout displays the current tip temperature. When soldering something into a pad on the ground plan for example, a lot of heat is typically drawn out of the tip, and you don't want to move onto the next pad until the tip is back at the desired temperature. The digital read out tells you this and so stops you moving onto the next pad before the tip is up to temperature, which would result in a potentially messy/cold joint.

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #6 of 12
I am getting a demo from a distributor and they are offering same price digital vs analog.  I will pick up the digital today Thanks!

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #7 of 12
I just got a new digital station. It's nice being able to see the temperature readout of the tip and adjust by a single degree. It's up to you though whether you prefer a dial or some buttons to set the temperature

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 12
You really need a good digital to analogue iron converter for an optimum soldering experience.

(In seriousness, I'm fine using an analogue one since I never need to get particularly accurate anyway. If you're keeping your iron at specific temperatures +/-1 degree then you're possibly missing the point. The live readout would be useful, though.)

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 12
I got the ST50 with the T100 iron  Really a nice unit.  Gotta repair some RC cars foir a race my son is running.  

Then gunna try and make some fancy interconnects for my DAP to Headphone amp.  Amazing how much they charge for those!

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #12 of 12
Meh. Digital is nice, but for hobbyist type work, your temperatures aren't as crucial and I think something like a WLC-100 is more than adequate for most people. If not that, Hakko has a new cheap station. I forgot it's name, but it's nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back