Prefer headphones over speakers?
Sep 24, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #46 of 83
from someone who has never heard a good speaker system, how do headphones compare price-wise to speakers. For instance, I spent ~ 650$ ( + ipod) on my Darkvoice 336i, HD650s and Zu IC and power cords. What is the SQ worth in speaker dolors?

How much does a 'hi-fi' (like AKG701, RS-1 range not Orpheus range) speaker system cost?

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #47 of 83
When I get the opportunity to slide my listening chair forward about three feet and a foot or so to the right, and throw a few pillows around the room in just the right places and toe the speakers in about 15 degrees, I vastly prefer the speakers.

....when I get the opportunity.
frown.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #48 of 83
I love all the people that say they can not afford speakers and have 3 grand worth of headphones?!? 3 grand buys a pretty good pair of speakers. Mine were only about 3 grand and sound much better than any of my headphones.

Speakers can get very expensive though. If you ever though you were poor looking at the headphone rigs around here (my self included) check out these speaker rigs on this site. Not sure how people buy all of there stuff?

40 pages of speaker rigs

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...8&page=1&pp=35

Sep 25, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #51 of 83
Predominately HP's so I don't bother my wife or the dogs. The dogs aren't big on loud noises. I also like the isolation and I find myself listening for the details more w/the HP's.

Sep 25, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #52 of 83
I prefer headphones. I love my speakers for when I am just hearing music, but when I want presence and detail and intimacy as was said already, Headphones all the way

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #53 of 83
Speakers are better but are much more difficult and expensive.

That being said, I have both
blink.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #54 of 83
Headphones forever! I just want that isolation and exactness from my IEMs.

Of course the best option is a live show, when I have time and the money.

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #55 of 83
During the day/night, anytime when the family is away (or even when they are home, but when they are not INside the house :) ), I crank up the stereo & speakers, (mostly horn towers/ with single full range drivers, but sometimes my 3 way 8" drivers base reflex towers for some chest pounding rock)...

Otherwise it's canalphones/amp/flac player late at night in bed.

Sep 25, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #57 of 83
Wow, I'm surprised how many hardcore head-fi members prefer speakers!

I'll go with Headphones, mainly because Speakers are too expensive for me. One day I will have an amazing 5.1 surround sound system that will be for both movies and music, but until that day Headphones are my sound of choice.

Sep 25, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #59 of 83
wheres the speakers only option?????????? i love my earphones but for pure buzz and sound i prefer listening to my home sound system,theres just an essence of quality to the sound, earphones have less work to do and always can sound special but theres always something missing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back