Prefer headphones over speakers?
Sep 24, 2007 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

drjt87

New Head-Fier
Just wondering, do people here actually prefer headphones to speakers, or just into headphones until they are able to buy a great set of speakers? Or choose headphones instead because of some other reason (eg. lack of space)?

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 83
Headphones, because of the isolation they provide
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 83
I voted "Headphones due to mobility/compactness/etc". It's a lot easier to set up and no worries about room placement if I were to use speakers instead. But I do like speakers, though. But I like headphones better!

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 83
headphones because I live in condo/ I am a mobile person/ budget (x2)/ and personal preference.

Not many speakers have WOWed within a reasonable budget.

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #8 of 83
After recently listening to my parents mid fi system playing a CD I burned that I normally love to listen on cans...I would have to say speakers.

Sep 24, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #10 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by rapzoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones offer a reasonably priced alternative to a high dollar speaker system.

Agreed!

Sep 24, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #11 of 83
I find that I focus on the music more with headphones. With speakers I hear ambient noises much more. Now I love a good speaker setup and can focus just as well in the right setting, but creating that setting can be a bit pricey, plus I live in an old duplex that really leaks sound, so I'll have to wait until I get a house and a bigger budget to do a proper speaker setup.

So I'll have to give it up to headphones at the moment, but not entirely due to budget. Headphones will always be an important part of my listening experience.

Sep 24, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #13 of 83
I prefer the more intimate and detailed sound of headphones. Speakers always sound so distant and uninvolving somehow. Given enough money, however, I bet speakers can almost catch up :p.

The portability and ease of use (no positioning or tuning required) are also welcome additions.

Sep 24, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #14 of 83
If there's no money involved, then surely speakers. Headphones cannot produce those bodily sensations that speakers are able to. I use headphones because they have better performance/price ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back