Predator now has only 1 year warranty on Battery
Apr 16, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:
Can we bring up the placebo effect that good/bad customer service has on amps; or is that for the sound science forum?

A little OT but not really- the USB port on my iQube died a few months back.  It was 1 1/2 years old.  I exchanged emails with Qables a few times, shipped the unit back to the Netherlands, and altogether about a month later I had a brand new amp.  For one-way shipping to the Netherlands (~$30), I got a brand new amp.  I've been too lazy to start a 'thank you' thread for that alone, so I just thought I'd drop it here.

Right exactly ,it's rather magical when things go so smoothly, and its often overlooked to give praise when it's due. It's much easier to post a tread like mine, when you are venting or looking for support, which I must say thanks to everyone. Yes please, its always good to be thankful and heap praises when it's well deserved. I'm sure many good deeds go untold. Cheers

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #32 of 43
Ray Chimes in

Do you have the new charger that has Red light when charging & turns to green when the battery is fully charged?
If you do then I will replace the battery for you free of charge. If you have the old charger that has NO light what so ever on it then that was the charger that we stopped shipping with the old battery that we no longer have.
The new charger & the new battery have to replace both of the old ones. I am sorry for not up-dating my web site as I have no time for that & your unit is almost three years old on that battery which still is operating but is not giving you the longer playing time.
Please let me know what charger do you have with your Predator.
Ray Samuels

So it seems it's my fault, I had no idea I purchased the outdated version with the more limited warranty. So for 3 years now, the website has publish incorrect warranty information, and it was up to me to bring it to his attention, for that I should get a $45 bonus for catching his error.

That reply from Ray (or Ray's rep) doesn't seem like good costumer service to me at all (understatement.)

Really hope Ray sorts this out for you PredatorZ.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

That reply from Ray (or Ray's rep) doesn't seem like good costumer service to me at all (understatement.)

Really hope Ray sorts this out for you PredatorZ.

+1

seems Ray Samuels is really going downhill these days....

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #34 of 43
No news or reply back yet. I was thinking today that wouldn't it be funny if my 3 years is just about to expire, then this entire post would be moot, except the real underlying problem of terrible customer service. Hopefully Ray will view this thread and gets a good understanding that there are other possible future customers who will reconsider any purchase now. Why drop a good chunk of change with a company that seems to be slipping, not honoring warranties. I'm not to the point yet, to start any legal action, but it seems that if he is breaking the law by cheating me and others out of service, and he ignores our requests than he deserves what ever grief we can lay on him. All over a measly $ 45 he is willing to trash his reputation.

I'm looking to get a new headphone amp for my desktop, possibly a tube amp Dac, does anyone have a Fav that they can't live without.

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #35 of 43
Woot

Just received an Email from Ray, he has found a few of the older style batteries that came in my unit. Here's his email.

Ray Samuels
7:12 PM (1 hour ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Hi Bret...
I have found two new batteries the same type that is in your amp. You don't need to replace the charger.
Please send your amp to my address on my web site I will replace the battery & inspect your unit free of charge parts & labor.

Huge sigh of relief on my part, I really don't like controversy if I can avoid it, thanks to everyone following my thread. I'm sure that the attention paid to my concerns by the Head-Fi community expedited my resolution. Thank goodness for you guys and gals !

Now I have to settle on a desktop amp, the Emmeline II "The Raptor" Headphone Amp is still my top choice atm, even with this little issue still very fresh, I would like to move on and forgive and forget. Now I know you guys have my back on things like this. As many people have commented this seemed completely out of character for Ray, and I completely agree it just didn't ring true.

Thanks again everyone !

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #39 of 43
He never admitted to anything really, that's the grey area we are in now I guess, I did receive some PM's from a member here who was concerned about my old charger, he was saying ...... "just asking because i checked it out when this amp came out a DC Adapter was included which ends up 'charging' the battery at about 5x its max rating.  if its a DC Adapter it probably says Cincon Power Adaptor or something like that on the side of it ".
That is the same charger /power adapter that I have. It seems to work fine, if it is overcharging the batteries, that could shorten theyre life span, but by what its hard to say without a lot more data. Rumors can take on a life of themselves, next thing you know its urban legend.

Which might very well be the reason for the new battery / charger. Now this has me wondering if anyone has posted issues of predators on fire, or warm to the touch from charging. Mine has always remained nice and cool.

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #40 of 43
Just received this email from Ray, he has gone above and beyond for me on my issue and I couldn't be happier. Heres the note he sent me ........
Hi Bret...
I just saw the thread that you have on head-fi, no harm done as I had to take some time to find you the stock original battery that goes with your charger. I feel sad that I did not put all my time to find the battery fast enough but I did not neglect your e-mail.
I meant no disrespect to you in fact now I am thinking to do this, send me the charger with your Predator & I will replace both with the new version of battery/charger just to make you happy.
All free of charge including the shipping fee.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

As anyone might expect, this is more than I would have hoped for and I'm a bit giddy atm.  Funny thing, I just dropped it off at UPS on the way home from work, so I will need to send the charger back tomorrow.

I will be placing an order for The Raptor in a few weeks when I get my taxes back, I can hardly wait !

Thanks again everyone for your support, I just hope to put this all behind me. I feel really bad now, about some assumption I might have made, and I would like to apologize publicly to Ray, Sir I am truly sorry for anything I might have said that was hurtful, I am humbled by your generosity and kindness. I would also like to apologize to the head-fi community for anything I might have done to offend anyone. Thanks again for allowing me to air my frustrations, was conforting to have such great support when I needed it.

Thanks Bret

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #41 of 43
I emailed Ray back, had a quick question and here is the note ......

On a side note, about my predator, the mini jack headphone out seems a little loose, my cable pulls out sometimes, not really a major issue, just wondering if its possible to get it to grip just a bit tighter..

We replace those connectors free of charge as that is part of the life time warranty my friend.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Woot again !!!

Now I'm just spoiled rotten :)

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #42 of 43
I just stumbled on this discussion and thought I would throw in my $0.02...

I have always found Ray to be customer service personified.  He has always come through for me and and I have tremendous respect for what he's done to the portable amp industry.  This week I sent him my SR71B to upgrade to a "Rev. 2" version...I was only asked to send $16 for shipping and the actual upgrade service was no charge.  He even loaned me an amp many years ago which was very generous.  I would hope that anyone could just work issues out with Ray and get their service needs settled to their satisfaction.  There's no doubt that he has quality products....I've owned many of the competitors' and the build doesn't come close.

My disclaimer...I've met Ray at meets a couple of times but otherwise I have only worked with Ray as a customer.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #43 of 43
Quote:
I just stumbled on this discussion and thought I would throw in my $0.02...

I have always found Ray to be customer service personified.  He has always come through for me and and I have tremendous respect for what he's done to the portable amp industry.  This week I sent him my SR71B to upgrade to a "Rev. 2" version...I was only asked to send $16 for shipping and the actual upgrade service was no charge.  He even loaned me an amp many years ago which was very generous.  I would hope that anyone could just work issues out with Ray and get their service needs settled to their satisfaction.  There's no doubt that he has quality products....I've owned many of the competitors' and the build doesn't come close.

My disclaimer...I've met Ray at meets a couple of times but otherwise I have only worked with Ray as a customer.

Totally agree Wolfen68, thanks for your 2 cents, its priceless !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back