preamping for more juice?
Jul 25, 2008 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

atothex

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok, let's say I have a moderately powered home amp and a moderately powered portable amp, both of which have multiple gain settings. Let's say I have a really inefficient headphone, and my home amp can't quite handle it. Can I switch my 2 amps to high gain, then use the portable to put a little more voltage in the signal path?

Also, would it make sense to do the same with low gain on both, to put more current into a low impedance headphone that's still hard to drive, say a K701?

Jul 26, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #3 of 8
Oh dude. Any modern amp even of the smallest variety should be able to push even the most high om phones to ear bleeding levels. Please be careful with this experiment; you'll have noise and grain out the yin-yang plus bleeding ears. There are alot of other things to try first. Some of the more EE minded poeple should jump in. I, for one, don't think current is affected this way. One just needs a bigger (read: high quality) amp.

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks, fellas. Higher quality, it is. BTW, I'm not talking about volume, but control. I just keep hearing people say certain phones (D5000, K701) need more current, while others (600 Ohm Beyers, Senn 6x0s) need more voltage.

FYI: comp -> Pico DAC/amp -> something? -> ATH-W10VTG

Jul 28, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 8
Oh, in regards to control and other SQ attributes, many factors play a role, but volume is most definitely not one of them. Furthermore, one can have all the current they need but still lack control.

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #7 of 8
I see. I was kinda looking for something versatile to put in the middle of the chain, but the options seem endless. Ideally, I'd have more HPs later on, but I'd like one amp to rule them all... preferably ~$500 or less used. I just know that everyone says a little portable isn't ideal for big amps. =(

Anyways, I'll just see what comes up on the FS forums; I think I have a decent general impression of the amp pecking order.

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see. I was kinda looking for something versatile to put in the middle of the chain, but the options seem endless.

Yes. You are absolutely right. And the really tough part is that many of them are very very good. You have the right idea to watch the FS forum. If you are pactience and can wait you will definately get a deal. Something SS, maybe Meiers, is a good place to start. They will drive a wide variety of phones very well. I always think in the lower price brackets SS amps show a bit more value but that choice is really up to you and your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back