Preamp
Jul 6, 2008 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Vilicus

New Head-Fier
I am having some major difficulties finding a preamp with exactly what I need.

I need a preamp to use as a selector between my three sources: CD > DAC, USB DAC, and turntable. I need two line-level outputs: one for my head amp and one for my power amp.

Why is it so damn hard for me to find something like this?

NAD Electronics :: C162 Stereo Preamplifier

That's about the closest thing I could find to what I need, and even then, that's overkill and I can't find much about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #2 of 5
I found it very frustrating trying to find a 4X2 audio only switch. I ended up building mt own based on the design of the SOCRAM at mb3k.com the place to be. I dumped the crossover part of the design.

If you had all digital outputs from your equipment, you could use a Beresford TC-7510 DAC with two coax and two optical inputs and two analog outputs (one fixed, one variable).

Jul 6, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 5
The NAD can be had for under $600 as is a good value. The phono section is pretty good for the money if you need it. You had stated that you want a phono input, does that mean you need it to have a phono amp or just a place on the selector(you already have a phono amp)? If you need a phono amp and are no good at soldering then the NAD is a good deal and you will be hard pressed to find anything for less with a listenable phono amp. Do you need it to be an active preamp with gain or do you just need source selection and attenuation? If you are wanting it to have a phono amp the selction will be greatly limited under a $1000. If you were to DIY a passive pre and buy the NAD phono amp seperate, you are likely to save money and get better sound. What amount of voltage does your current sources output and do your power amps need any gain? What is the input impedance on the pwoer amps you will be using? Many more things to a preamp than the knobs.

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 5
Keep an eye on vintage Conrad-Johnson preamps. You can find them from $300-$600 or so and most are in good condition. CJ is still around and will happily service any piece of gear they've made, as well.

My PV-2 has three inputs, a phono stage, a line out, and two tape outs. You can connect a power amp to the line out and put two headphone amps on the tape loops.

It's all tube and I think I paid $350 for it a couple years ago. You can check out all the CJ vintage gear here:

Classic conrad-johnson Products

Used CJ gear turns up often at eBay and Audiogon, as well.

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 5
I already have a phono amp, so I guess I don't need one. Looking at what you guys have posted, it seems most economical to build my own passive switchbox. Looking at the diagrams, it doesn't look to be too difficult.

Thanks for the info, Erik, I'll check that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back