Preamp/Headphone amp suggestions
Dec 14, 2009 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

R_burke

100+ Head-Fier
Need at least 3 inputs (RCA not balanced)
Rest of the system:

Manley Labs Mahi Mahi
Shanling CD T100
GR Research OB-5 speakers
AT W1000 headphones

I also occasionally play TV or Ipod, hence the need for 3 inputs

Don't want to spend more than $1,000

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 7
Many here have made noises about buying this, but I dont think anyone has actually ponied up with the cash. I guess we are pretty much all talk on Head-Fi !
evil_smiley.gif

Peachtree Audio Nova Tube Hybrid Integrated Amplifier [audiojunkies]

Edit: launch price was over your budget, but I'm not sure what the street price is. Stereophile claim that these have sold themselves at trade shows, but it doesnt get a lot of keystrokes here.

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many here have made noises about buying this, but I dont think anyone has actually ponied up with the cash. I guess we are pretty much all talk on Head-Fi !
evil_smiley.gif

Peachtree Audio Nova Tube Hybrid Integrated Amplifier [audiojunkies]

Edit: launch price was over your budget, but I'm not sure what the street price is. Stereophile claim that these have sold themselves at trade shows, but it doesnt get a lot of keystrokes here.

This is an integrated power amp, my need is for a preamp, not sure this would work, but thanks for the try
atsmile.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Your need is for a preamp ?

Signal Path International - Era Speakers & Peachtree Audio - The Pre-Amp

and you want a headphone amp in the same unit ?

For the headphone user, the Nova has a “Class A, tube” headphone section that rivals some of the best Headphone amps available today. When the headphones are plugged in, the speakers are muted so you can rock on when quiet is a necessity. Headphones have never sounded better than through the Nova.

and a standalone DAC might come in handy:

Signal Path International - Era Speakers & Peachtree Audio - Digital to Analog Converter

I dont believe everything I read, and I expect that this will tick Benchmark owners off, but this excerpt pulls together the 'everything in one box' aspect of the Nova:

Consider this: the Nova can go toe-to-toe with the Benchmark on sonic grounds, offers more flexible inputs (3 analog and 5 digital for the Nova vs. the 1 analog and 5 digital for the Benchmark), comes with a remote control, and serves not only as a DAC/preamp/headphone amp but also as a full-on hybrid integrated amplifier—all for about $395 less than the price of the Benchmark

Does it do any of these things well ? I have absolutely no idea - hence my initial post regarding the way the initial hype died here.

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 7
So I did a little research and the kind of thing I'm thinking about is like a
WOO 2/WA2. I'm pretty sure it would meet my needs, so what else is there along this line

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 7
If I recall correctly the Sugden Headmaster was quite popular for use with some AT headphones. It has 3 inputs, good pre-amp and a remote (on newer models).

I used the search facility and found some old threads. Could be worth reading up on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back