Preamp for Rega RP-1 and questions about my current setup
Sep 29, 2011 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mrpink44

100+ Head-Fier
I recently got back into the world of vinyl and purchased a Rega RP-1 with the performance pack. I'm now thinking about doing some upgrades to my system, but have some questions (and yes, I've been searching and reading threads, but can't fin what I'm looking for).

My setup is the following and I'm currently at work so I don't have the model numbers to some of my components:
Rega RP-1 > Rotel preamp (cheapie $70) > Onkyo receiver (it's from 1998 and ran around $350) > Acoustic Research speakers

1. I'm thinking of upgrading the preamp to start with and I'm looking for recommendations. I would like to keep it at $300 or under if I can get something decent. I currently have the Shure 840 headphones and plan to pickup the Sennhieser HD 650s in the near future.

2. I can plug the headphones directly into my receiver, but I'm wondering if it would be better to get a preamp with a headphone jack?

3. I was told not to plug my current preamp into the phono input on my receiver, but I do not have an AUX option so I am running it into my TAPE input. Is that ok??? The only reason I ask is because I wasn't aware that I shouldn't run it into the phono input so I'm wondering if going into TAPE is "messing" with the sound at all?

I was looking at the Bellari VP 130 preamp, but it says: "effectively boosts the phono signal for any cartridge with an output of 3-5mV" - the output for the Rega Bias 2 is 6.8-7.2 mV so I'm assuming this won't work. Any advice/input/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I hope I supplied enough information - if not, please let me know. Thanks in advance....as a noobie, setting up a new system has been fun, but at times overwhelming.

Matt

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 6
Hey Mr Pink.

I too am starting out, pretty much looking at a similar setup to you and through my research assumed that the VP130 would work with the RP1 Performance Pack upgrade to the RP1. I have to say, I have been wondering about spending a little more on a good preamp/headphone amp combination or a good integrated amp, but as you say it can be a little overwhelming! 

Maki. 

Sep 29, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 6
Hey Maki,

Did you buy the TT already?? I'm really happy with it so far. I ended up forking over the cash and buying the Rega wall shelf which is really nice. Cost a bit, but I'm not much of a DIY guy and it looks pretty nifty hanging from the wall. Hopefully we'll get some recommendations from some of the experts on here - there is so much to consider...but without a site like this, I'd be completely lost (as opposed to just 85% lost right now).

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 6
I haven't picked it up yet, but pretty set on the REGA. I looked at the shelf, space would be an issue in my small NYC apartment :)

As I am looking for a headphone only setup, I have spent ages going back and forth on the right preamp (required to boost the signal from the TT) and headphone amp to deliver the sound out to my headphones. I really want to go the valve route, but it can end up pricey!

AAnyway, lets hope someone responds soon! 

MMaki. 

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi there,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Vinyl! :)

The phono preamp is very crucial to enjoying your music.
You will require a phono preamp which provides sufficient gain yet has a low noise floor. The last thing you want to experience is hum or hissing with headphones.

I've done extensive research on getting a good phono preamp.
The 2 recommended choices below can handle either MC or MM cartridges.

MM carts are cheaper but low MC carts are the way to go for the ultimate experience.

I suggest getting either

1. Jolida JD9

Review and Details here

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/jolida3/phono.html

This costs around $400 but can rival those costing $1500+++.

or

2. Jasmine LP2.0 MKII

http://www.jasmineaudio.net/lp20MKII.html

This is solid state but was designed to be tube-like in sound.

As per one reviewer, the Jasmine gave the Rolls Royce of phono preamps, the Manley Steelhead, a very tough time.

I finally settled for this over the Jolida since my external speaker amps and headphone amps were already extensively tubed.

Either way, you won't regret your decision.

Oct 2, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 6
Lord Soth - thanks for the reply!! I've been reading up on the Jolida JD9 and wow, does it get stellar reviews. I like the fact that it can handle both MM and MC cartridges. Right now I'm using a TT with a MM cartridge, but this was my entry level and I am planning on upgrading in a year or so. I definitely understand what you mean about a low noise floor - I was using my Shure's through my receiver yesterday and could hear some hum/hiss intermitendly on the LPs.

Thanks again - from everything I've read that Jolida seems to offer the most bang for the buck. Thanks for sharing what you've learned through your research. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back