Pre-order the new HiBy R5II from MusicTeck today!
Apr 17, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #18 of 46
Any more info about 'economy mode'? What processes are running? I assume all android functions are shut down and it's running in 'pure music' mode with only the single ended output available. Will it be sufficient to run more demanding IEMs & full-size headphones?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #19 of 46
Any more info about 'economy mode'? What processes are running? I assume all android functions are shut down and it's running in 'pure music' mode with only the single ended output available. Will it be sufficient to run more demanding IEMs & full-size headphones?
The specs are listed by Hiby for economy mode and balanced is available. They spec "economy mode" power as 110mW SE and 320mW balanced into 32 ohm load.
ESS's specs for the DAC chips integrated headphone amp output doesn't appear to come close to Hibys stated power spec for "economy mode".

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #20 of 46
Any reviews?

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #21 of 46
Are we going to see the severe battery discharge while off which is plaguing Hiby R8 in this model too?

Apr 17, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #23 of 46
I don't own a Hiby player but I heard something about that. Does the power drain occur when the player is manually shut down or in sleep mode?
It happens when the player is completely switched off. It doesn't seem to affect battery life while listening to music, but in my case the DAP loses 10% of charge per day when off. It's pretty inconvenient because I need to remember to top it up every few days so as not to allow a complete discharge that will affect the battery negatively. So for the sake of its buyers I hope the battery implementation in this new model is better.

Apr 17, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #24 of 46
It happens when the player is completely switched off. It doesn't seem to affect battery life while listening to music, but in my case the DAP loses 10% of charge per day when off. It's pretty inconvenient because I need to remember to top it up every few days so as not to allow a complete discharge that will affect the battery negatively. So for the sake of its buyers I hope the battery implementation in this new model is better.
That's crazy. So something is draining the battery with the player shut all the way off. I've heard of this with some other players when in sleep mode but not when they are shut all the way down. And they can't fix it with a firmware update?

Apr 18, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #25 of 46
I’ll end up passing on this one. As an owner of the original HiBy R5, this subtracts too many things that I liked about the original and adds too little.

Even though the original had plenty of flaws (many of which seem to be present in all of HiBy’s products, such as the battery drain discussed above), I really enjoyed how capable it was in such a perfect little form factor. I don’t like how the R5 II is so much bigger than the original. The original felt sturdy and substantial, yet light and easily pocketable, at the same time.

Also, while the economy options are nice, it appears that the R5 II is actually slightly less powerful than the original, and actually has worse battery life than the original at that max power, despite having a bigger battery. The processor is the same as the original, surely that could’ve been improved? And no Bluetooth 5?

For me, an ideal R5 successor would have the same form factor as the original and the same power, with a quicker processor, stronger Bluetooth antennas (the one on the original are far too weak), a more responsive touchscreen, and proper fixes to the battery drain issue and the issue where charging while listening creates audible feedback in the audio.

Apr 18, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #26 of 46
That's crazy. So something is draining the battery with the player shut all the way off. I've heard of this with some other players when in sleep mode but not when they are shut all the way down. And they can't fix it with a firmware update?
Apparently not. This problem was reported here on head-fi a long time ago and none of the firmware updates has fixed it. To the contrary, I think it's become worse with updates, but I am not 100% certain of this. I recall that initially the battery drain while off was around 5% per day, but I don't remember if it was before or after I did the updates.

The R8 is a great DAP, the sound it produces is beautiful and it has a lot of power, but this battery implementation is a serious flaw. And from what the user above said, it's not the only Hiby product that displays this behaviour.

Apr 18, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #27 of 46
People, batteries drain. Just because you don’t like it and love to find fault doesn’t legitimize your attempts to dissuade potential customers. Every thread here Is the same. Announcement, excitement, detractors and doomsayers, griping with equivocation, debate, then impressions to which the cycle repeats. I hope to enjoy mine.

Apr 18, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #28 of 46
People, batteries drain. Just because you don’t like it and love to find fault doesn’t legitimize your attempts to dissuade potential customers. Every thread here Is the same. Announcement, excitement, detractors and doomsayers, griping with equivocation, debate, then impressions to which the cycle repeats. I hope to enjoy mine.
You forgot to mention the apologists who will overlook material product flaws over some misguided fanboyism, brand loyalty or because they are downright shills.

Potential buyers should have as much information about the product they are about to buy as possible, including other people's past experiences, good and bad, with the brand and its other products, so that they can make an informed purchasing decision without falling for the brand's marketing spiel or specifications, because those don't tell the whole story. If you call that an attempt at dissuading potential buyers, then I question whose interests you care about more.

But I hope you enjoy yours, too.

Apr 18, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #30 of 46
Anyone know how this company handles import duties and tax for the U.K.? At todays rate this thing is a steal and I’m quite tempted as an upgrade to my Sony A105.

Also, does hiby OS / Android support the likes of play store or is it specific apps only? I use Apple Music, Tidal and Poweramp EQ apps regularly so these would need to be fully supported.
I also have the A105. I'm in Ireland looking for a new alternative that will last me for years to come. I've locked myself into Sony gear for decades apart from my Fiio X3 original, which I still have and use occasionally. I don't have any background experience of this manufacturer but this device looks very interesting indeed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back