PRE-ORDER: Astell&Kern A&Futura SE180 Music Player
Apr 22, 2021 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37
Astel-Kern-AFutura-SE180_01.jpg

• Model Concept:
    • Premium model with Interchangeable All in-One DAC/AMP modules
  • Key Specs:
    • Includes SEM1 Module: Single DAC, ESS ES9038PRO, with New Generation AMP & TERATON ALPHA Technology
    • Supports 32bit/384kHz, DSD256, MQA
    • USB Type-C input; 2.5mm, 3.5mm & 4.4mm headphone ports
    • BT Sync (new!); BT 5.0, aptX™ HD & LDAC
    • 5 inch Full HD Display, 1920x1080
    • Updated UI & Adjustable Gain
    • 256GB internal memory + microSD card slot (up to 1TB)​

Astel-Kern-AFutura-SE180_09.jpg

Pre-Order Here
https://www.moon-audio.com/astell-kern-a-futura-se180-music-player.html

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 22, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 37
So where does this sit in the Futura line? I see it has an updated full HD screen (about time AK) which trumps the SE200's and they are trying to integrate 4.4mm in one way or another...

Apr 22, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 37

Apr 22, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 37
Interesting ... I see the SE200 as an exercise in working with ESS chips ... which are now translating to the rest of the line given the competitor chip supply issues.

I'd be interested to see if there is any update to the SP2000 line in the works. The player is now 2 years old and running an older platform. However, it's probably still at the upper echelon's in terms of sound quality and compatibility with current file formats. The Effect audio adapter is sufficient for 4.4mm as an adapter and to be honest, I've had mixed experiences driving full sized cans out of a DAP. For the purposes of IEM's, a 2.5mm balanced output is enough. However I can see how the 4.4mm is more attractive.

It would be interesting to see where the sound and how the ESS signature is implemented compared to the rest of the line-up

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 37
So where does this sit in the Futura line? I see it has an updated full HD screen (about time AK) which trumps the SE200's and they are trying to integrate 4.4mm in one way or another...
It’s getting harder and harder to understand A&K naming levels as a full catalog.

but this one seems interesting. Streaming but not a full Android. The way I like it to be.

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 37
Was looking this over in my email----$ 2000 with leather case and second amp-------
I like that it as 4.4, 2.5 and 3.5 all in one place--changeable boards, ect...looks very interesting.......
I want to know how it compares the SP1000M --at $2400---is that a better sounding unit or not?
I understand the SE 180 has newer technology but is the SQ gonna be better than the SP1000M?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 37
Was looking this over in my email----$ 2000 with leather case and second amp-------
I like that it as 4,4, 2,5 and 3,5 all in one place--changeable boards, ect...looks very interesting.......
I want to know how it compares the the SP1000M --at $2400---is that a better sounding unit or not?
I understand the SE 180 has newer technology but is the SQ gonna be better than the 1000M?
If you depend on Streaming services. Don’t get older models, even Astell being the best implementation for streaming (IMHO), they still depend on Android and those apps tend to stop support to old Android systems. So if not obsolete now, it will be soon. SP1000 is a 3-4 years old one.

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 37
Hopefully with ROON implementation on some models (e.g. SP2000) that may alleviate some of the streaming issues when used at home.

Will this be ROON ready?

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 37
If you depend on Streaming services. Don’t get older models, even Astell being the best implementation for streaming (IMHO), they still depend on Android and those apps tend to stop support to old Android systems. So if not obsolete now, it will be soon. SP1000 is a 3-4 years old one.
Already happening.

Tidal is dropping support for older model Android devices. Unfortunately this means Tidal can no longer be supported on the following AK DAP players due to the new authentication requirements - AK380, AK320, AK300, AK70 MKII, AK70, AK240, AK120II, AK100II.

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #11 of 37
I like that it as 4.4, 2.5 and 3.5 all in one place--changeable boards, ect...looks very interesting.......
I want to know how it compares the SP1000M --at $2400---is that a better sounding unit or not?
I understand the SE 180 has newer technology but is the SQ gonna be better than the SP1000M?

AK products SQ has never been reflective of their price points anyway. The only thing going for them is their sound signature & build quality/design.
I had the 1000M and the Shanling M8 at around 60% of their price performs much better. That said if i get another AK again it'll be because of the design and build quality lol

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #12 of 37
Ah.....I see. I am a dinosaur , I actually do not stream. Listen to cds I put on file and mostly concerts I recorded myself, big time stealth concert recorder here from way back.
I actually go up on amazon HD and record the music thru a DAC---to digital music player then put digital files on HD. Lots of the music are vinyl recordings and sound way better than cds--its really quite amazing. Jazz-classical--classic rock--really good stuff. I recorded TONS of old school jazz on you tube before it got pulled due to copy write laws ===album's you cannot find---I have them all on HD file vinyl records played and recorded--amazing stuff-------
I understand what you are saying-----I may get this unit---trying to find my end game unit--like the replaceable amps.
Have the Cayin N6II and ibasso dx 220 but Astell and Kern has always kind of been my "idea" of the" Big Time" for whatever reason----
passed on the Alpha--maybe this unit is more suited to my tastes--more diverse, options-I like it----- :stuck_out_tongue: :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #13 of 37
Already happening.

Tidal is dropping support for older model Android devices. Unfortunately this means Tidal can no longer be supported on the following AK DAP players due to the new authentication requirements - AK380, AK320, AK300, AK70 MKII, AK70, AK240, AK120II, AK100II.
Looking at this list, SP1000 (inc M), SR15 and SE100 will be the next on the list to have the support dropped.

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #15 of 37
Was hoping to see a new update to the Astell and Norma line a " SR 35" or some such thing --$ 800 high quality "entry level unit"--
I bought my AK 120II in 2018 for $1100 brand new and love it--sounds GREAT---beautiful--small compact--still use it even though I own 10 units- and it sells for $ 300 used on ebay now. I bought a SP1000M last year on ebay for $900 and sold it after a month--did not really blow me away----was hoping it would---
Want to give Astell and Kern another chance--------

Users who are viewing this thread

Back