PRE-ORDER: Astell&Kern A&Futura SE180 Music Player
Apr 22, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #16 of 37
Ah.....I see. I am a dinosaur , I actually do not stream. Listen to cds I put on file and mostly concerts I recorded myself, big time stealth concert recorder here from way back.
I actually go up on amazon HD and record the music thru a DAC---to digital music player then put digital files on HD. Lots of the music are vinyl recordings and sound way better than cds--its really quite amazing. Jazz-classical--classic rock--really good stuff. I recorded TONS of old school jazz on you tube before it got pulled due to copy write laws ===album's you cannot find---I have them all on HD file vinyl records played and recorded--amazing stuff-------
I understand what you are saying-----I may get this unit---trying to find my end game unit--like the replaceable amps.
Have the Cayin N6II and ibasso dx 220 but Astell and Kern has always kind of been my "idea" of the" Big Time" for whatever reason----
passed on the Alpha--maybe this unit is more suited to my tastes--more diverse, options-I like it----- :stuck_out_tongue: :beyersmile:
To be fair, I do regret selling my SE100. I couldn’t get any dap I was happy with for the price I sold my AK. Just waiting for the next release that will be worth the wallet hole.

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #17 of 37
Wished the default DAC was a dual 9038pro instead of a single DAC.

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #18 of 37
To be fair, I do regret selling my SE100. I couldn’t get any dap I was happy with for the price I sold my AK. Just waiting for the next release that will be worth the wallet hole.
I know==this hobby is so insane======always unsatisfied--wanting, bigger, better, next. I have chilled a lot the past year and am enjoying my amazing collection now--and yes--sometimes stop and think..why did I sell that?, What is wrong with me? lol When you stop and realize what we are dealing with it blows your mind.
I am 56. I started out with crappy cassette players and horrendous cheesy headphones....and NOW---are you kidding me?
Gotta sit back and just enjoy what we have--truly is amazing--------the pursuit ruins the the enjoyment of the actual object sometimes. Learning this now---So much --
It never ends.

Apr 23, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #19 of 37
Weekest link for AK products, ancient Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n. A big pass for Wi-Fi users, specifically DSD files if you don’t like stuttering playbacks. They should have at least used the older ac protocol.
Other than that, promising. Difficult to compete when there are better players in that price range.

Apr 23, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #20 of 37
Weekest link for AK products, ancient Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n. A big pass for Wi-Fi users, specifically DSD files if you don’t like stuttering playbacks. They should have at least used the older ac protocol.
Other than that, promising. Difficult to compete when there are better players in that price range.
I never had problems with my AK. But, again, my wi-fi usage was Tidal only. So no huge DSD files. good to know that.

Apr 23, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #21 of 37
Wished the default DAC was a dual 9038pro instead of a single DAC.

You do realise that 1 single 9038 pro has 8 small dacs inside lol and you got way enough of 1 to do it all!

And its a dap it can be optimised better sounding with 1 dac then 2 as it would have more power available for such use...

Apr 23, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #26 of 37
Quite honestly, I’m thinking about jumping ship with all of the recent news around discontinued services on some players and issues with tidal etc. My priorities have somewhat shifted to future proofing my investment... in a DAP this translates to one that has the most recent iteration of android, a strong wi-fi chip with BT capabilities that allows me to pair with a phone for HD music playback, a full hd+ screen and an ability to bypass the limitations of androids restrictions around music streaming. Quite honestly all this is pointing towards the likes of the DX300. Has anyone had any experience streaming Tidal with the DX300 and how it compares in terms of sq with the SE200?

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #27 of 37
Quite honestly, I’m thinking about jumping ship with all of the recent news around discontinued services on some players and issues with tidal etc. My priorities have somewhat shifted to future proofing my investment... in a DAP this translates to one that has the most recent iteration of android, a strong wi-fi chip with BT capabilities that allows me to pair with a phone for HD music playback, a full hd+ screen and an ability to bypass the limitations of androids restrictions around music streaming. Quite honestly all this is pointing towards the likes of the DX300. Has anyone had any experience streaming Tidal with the DX300 and how it compares in terms of sq with the SE200?
Maybe @hshock76 can chime in ? Not sure if he is much into Tidal though

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #28 of 37
That has been my advice when someone asks which DAP to get. Specially the Fiio’s ones. But unfortunately feels like people forget those things run on Android and like any other phone it will become obsolete at some point, unless you run local files. But I get quite “scary” when I see all the media on “Full Android” DAPs. As an Android user I know it will get slow and sluggish in less than a year.

AK is still the most steady implementation of streaming apps from what I could see. I wouldn’t get a full Android DAP again. For that I get an old phone and stick a nice dongle like S1 or W2 and that will be my DAP, much cheaper.

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #29 of 37
Honestly, if you stream music, then a phones, a dongles or a sources such as Cayin N6ii as a UsB DAC and Lineout into a proper amplifier such as Cayin C9, they will be your best and ultimate stack. Each of them are dedicated to one single job and that is that.

If you are into DAP, I would be focusing into building local libraries. I may be old and senile, but local libraries is the way to go. They are your and always be your , also indisputable quality

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #30 of 37
You do realise that 1 single 9038 pro has 8 small dacs inside lol and you got way enough of 1 to do it all!

And its a dap it can be optimised better sounding with 1 dac then 2 as it would have more power available for such use...
It’d be cool if you elaborated on this some. I have no idea how it works. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back