Pre and power amp for K1000 (?)
Dec 27, 2006 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Nik

Headphoneus Supremus
confused.gif

Has the K1000 an improovment using two box for the amp? (preamplifier and power amp).
k1000smile.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 11
One of the best combinations for the K-1000 I've heard is the SDS-XLR as a preamp driving a FirstWatt F-1 power amp. That's the best I've heard the K-1000 sound. The bass was tight and deep, detail was great, very smooth sound, superb highs with no grain, warm full midrange.

Dec 30, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the best combinations for the K-1000 I've heard is the SDS-XLR as a preamp driving a FirstWatt F-1 power amp. That's the best I've heard the K-1000 sound. The bass was tight and deep, detail was great, very smooth sound, superb highs with no grain, warm full midrange.

I have not heard this combo, but find Hirsh's observation easy to believe. But to Nic, I recommend you consider asking what amp vs. amp/preamp combo sounds best for the $. [The SDS-XLR + F1 combo would easily top $10,000 USD, right? So yes it sounds great, but that does not translate into the fact that all pre / amp combos outperform amps or integrated amps on a dollar-per-dollar basis.]

Dec 30, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 11
My question was jus to understand if, even with a outstanding amp as my Air Tight ATM-300 (that is a power amp with attenuators on the input), I'd have some advantage adding a preamp. in other words, if always a pream help the K1000 for a better sound.

Dec 30, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question was jus to understand if, even with a outstanding amp as my Air Tight ATM-300 (that is a power amp with attenuators on the input), I'd have some advantage adding a preamp. in other words, if always a pream help the K1000 for a better sound.

In general many people, myself included, try to minimize the signal path as much as possible (less components, less interconnect cables, etc.). So I use an amp with attenuators (i.e. no preamp).

On the other hand, each component has the potential add its own sonic fingerprint. So for example, the F1 has great control but is not very warm. So the addition of a tube preamp can lead to a warmer more organic sounding listening experience.

The other variable is your source. If your source needs additional gain prior to amplification, then again a preamp may be a plus.

Bottom line: The only way to know if a preamp will help is to try one (or a few) and let your ears decide.

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 11
Maybe the preamp (as I've always read) can help to improve the perceived dynamic.
But it cost, and, moreover, it is another variable introduced in the "sinergy" problem.

imho, if you're happy so (and I know you are), don't touch anything.
You can always take a preamp on loan and try the effect...

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 11
Whatever you do, start with something in class A, with sufficient power and a good impedance match. Some of the Yamaha M-series amps have attenuators which allow you to skip the preamp. I have been very pleased with my own M-35, which sounds better than it has any natural right to.

Laz

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the preamp (as I've always read) can help to improve the perceived dynamic.
But it cost, and, moreover, it is another variable introduced in the "sinergy" problem.

imho, if you're happy so (and I know you are), don't touch anything.
You can always take a preamp on loan and try the effect...

Yes, yes... may be will be very hard to find another perfect sinergy for a preamp, another interconnect and a power cord too... and I do not need more dynamic, the Air Tight is a beast of power and intimacy.

(I hope you will be here next saturday 13) I really would like to hear your opinion about my system and the first cans I would like to compare with is your HE60.

Will be very interesting !!!

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, yes... may be will be very hard to find another perfect sinergy for a preamp, another interconnect and a power cord too... and I do not need more dynamic, the Air Tight is a beast of power and intimacy.

(I hope you will be here next saturday 13) I really would like to hear your opinion about my system and the first cans I would like to compare with is your HE60.

Will be very interesting !!!

I hope to can be there ("pray" that it will not snow...)

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 11
I don't know, it seems quite futile to me. I'd much rather follow Rudi's sound advice and get a more powerful integrated amp to use your K1000 with.

Jan 2, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know, it seems quite futile to me. I'd much rather follow Rudi's sound advice and get a more powerful integrated amp to use your K1000 with.

I had two more powerfull amps as the Cary (15 watts) and the BAT (150 Watts), both these amps have less dynamic and power respect to the Air Tight... and I do not tell you nothing about the quality...

IMHO, the power is not the most important thing thinking to the K1000...

(The F1 that many peopole love with the K1000 is a 10 watts amp...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back