pre-amp intro
Jan 23, 2007 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chronoso

100+ Head-Fier
having finally added a decent analog source (rega p1) to my stack, i am now in need of pre-amplification. my old weak-sauce direct drive from the 70s was self-amped, but now i need something to make the music come out decent like. i can crank up the volume on the stereo, but it sounds bright and shallow, certainly lacking in the mids and low end. so i'm looking for something pretty intro-ish. sofar i've been able to narrow it down to the VP129 by Rolls/Bellari and the Creek OBH-18.

the cartridge is moving magnet, outputting 4mV, so i dont need something capable of making MC sound audible. i just want my records to sound nice, and these two bits cost the same. any thoughts? anyone have them and like them?

thanks

-james

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 6
I considered those as well, but ultimately chose the NAD PP2. It was $139 and it sounds pretty good. I use it with a MM Grado Gold cartridge mounted on a Rega Planar 3. Once you get it squared away, you're going to love vinyl.

Jan 24, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my son one of these and what a difference it made!

got which one?

Jan 24, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by chronoso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got which one?

Project Tube Box II

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 6
there is a place in Chicago that sells the VP129 for $200.00 that's the cheapest i found them at..always played with the thought...maybe one day I will take one. I have my rega P3 sitting here collecting dust, it has the Grace arm with a superxx cart..just needs the phonostage. reason why I have not done the phonostage for the rega yet is because my main VPI scout with RSA XR-2 is about 10ft away from the Rega..lol kind of pointless.

I would love to hear the VP129 on my rega one day though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back