PRAISE THE LORD!!! Sony coming out with (SEXY) new Android DAP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 4, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #16 of 64
Better late than never with the X replacement, hopefully there might be enough time for them to incorporate hard control buttons on the top of this player as this will be a major bug bear when in pocket as I understand the "W" (Walkman button) on the side of player just lets you access playing controls on screen when in lock mode if I have read correctly from Cnet. 

It looks like the body design has just been lifted from the SE Xperia Arc Android phone to me, very similar.

Also concerned about how long the battery will last for should be no less than 25 hour music playback at minimum and been Android does this mean it will allow on the go playlist, something I have missed since early HHD Walkmans a few years back. 

I lastly wonder when there will be confirmation of what storage capacity's there will be for this, guessing for base entry price there will be 16gb followed by a 32 & 64gb. I suppose it is too early and wishful thinking for Sony to really deliver the first dap with 128gb flash storage on board to get a real upper hand on the market (regardless of the price that would be!) 

If they get all the basics right with this machine and it sounds better than the X and new A series from what I have read this will be a serious player for Sony for the first time in a while. 

Potentially drooling with anticipation of this official release & specs info and can;t help feeling Sony are going to miss something that is really going to let all the hard work on this first Android player hit a brick wall affecting possible sales. 
(not a dreaded volume cap I hope!)

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #17 of 64

Quote:
Maybe because you can install rockbox on android :)

I was going to point out in this thread that it sounds and looks so awesome that it probably wont support FLACs despite myself spending a day flashing an old phone numerous times until i could get a fw on it to then drop android into it, just so i could have rockbox on it for an mp3 player.
rolleyes.gif
oh silly me.

looks amazing though, keen for it (but not the price tag :frowning2: - its gonna be high, but i am poor lol)

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #18 of 64
You guys do realize that even the Japanese version of the new Sony Tablet supports FLAC, right?

http://www.sony.jp/tablet/products/S1/spec.html
"AAC、mp3、WAV、WMA、WMA Pro、FLAC、MIDI、Ogg Vorbis"

So I would think the new player would follow this trend. However, what is unknown is its support of gapless .... which was enabled by ATRAC.

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #19 of 64
Actually, FenderP is correct. I have been following up with the japanese news coverage of the latest Android Walkman DAP announced by Sony recently, and in the recent press conference at IFA 2011 Sony is said to be focusing on releasing a bunch of Android-based Tablet and Walkman devices like their Sony Tablet S and P series, and a newly revamped Walkman line-up with the Gingerbread OS as well similarly like the Cowon D3. I think this one is a long overdue update towards the X-Series, but what's really interesting is that this will come with the latest digital S-Master MX amp found in the latest NW-A860 series, so I'm quite piqued by this announcement as I have been yearning for a new Sony Walkman DAP for awhile now. (been relying and using my NW-HD5 for awhile now, agree with that someone on this thread that this player is really a nifty device especially for a DAP, especially for it's size and battery life (oh and did I mention that the NW-HD5's battery are user-replaceable? which is why I'm still getting quite long battery life out of it even though I had this with me for around 5 years already, and of course the 20GB HDD is still functioning well)

@FortisFlyer75: I'm actually quite positive this will come with the usual 16GB/32GB/64GB capacity model availability, just like their previous A850 series exclusively released for the Japan market. According to what I'm seeing from the pictures released so far from IFA 2011 event, there's no external memory expansion support spotted on it though unlike the Cowon J3/D3 DAPs, but then again in their previous Walkman line-ups Sony is not well-known to actually support external memory expansion, unlike Kenwood DAPs in Japan so I'm not really surprised. I should be waiting for the 64GB version to be available, as this is a Android-based Walkman device and FLAC/APE format support is imminent anyway so I will need a larger memory capacity for my files.

Below are some additional news coverages of the actual prototype (noticed I said prototype, so maybe the design outlook itself isn't final) recently unveiled at the IFA 2011 event, for those who are interested in this latest announced Android Walkman. :)

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20110901/197899/
http://thisismynext.com/2011/09/01/sony-android-walkman-prototype-hands-on/
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20110903_475137.html

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #20 of 64
I want a real Walkman replacement, complete with remote controls of yesteryear (a la MiniDisc).
I don't want this ugly device with a big screen and uncomfortable square edges.

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #21 of 64

Quote:
Actually, FenderP is correct. I have been following up with the japanese news coverage of the latest Android Walkman DAP announced by Sony recently, and in the recent press conference at IFA 2011 Sony is said to be focusing on releasing a bunch of Android-based Tablet and Walkman devices like their Sony Tablet S and P series, and a newly revamped Walkman line-up with the Gingerbread OS as well similarly like the Cowon D3. I think this one is a long overdue update towards the X-Series, but what's really interesting is that this will come with the latest digital S-Master MX amp found in the latest NW-A860 series, so I'm quite piqued by this announcement as I have been yearning for a new Sony Walkman DAP for awhile now. (been relying and using my NW-HD5 for awhile now, agree with that someone on this thread that this player is really a nifty device especially for a DAP, especially for it's size and battery life (oh and did I mention that the NW-HD5's battery are user-replaceable? which is why I'm still getting quite long battery life out of it even though I had this with me for around 5 years already, and of course the 20GB HDD is still functioning well)

@FortisFlyer75: I'm actually quite positive this will come with the usual 16GB/32GB/64GB capacity model availability, just like their previous A850 series exclusively released for the Japan market. According to what I'm seeing from the pictures released so far from IFA 2011 event, there's no external memory expansion support spotted on it though unlike the Cowon J3/D3 DAPs, but then again in their previous Walkman line-ups Sony is not well-known to actually support external memory expansion, unlike Kenwood DAPs in Japan so I'm not really surprised. I should be waiting for the 64GB version to be available, as this is a Android-based Walkman device and FLAC/APE format support is imminent anyway so I will need a larger memory capacity for my files.

To start with the HD-5 was a nice example of what Sony could do with Walkmans in the purist form of simplicity in a music player even with it been restricted to the Atrac format. I was lucky enough to own two of these in the 30gb version's with which I had many a happy hour listening to. How technology has moved on in just those few years is quite mind boggling despite there been a black hole where it seems Sony have stood still technology advancement wise since the X and skipped a year and as you rightly point out is the long over due replacement for the X. 

I too will be waiting for the 64gb version as a minimum as I only listen to WAV files and with the ability to have some app's will no doubt still fill that up fairly quickly. 
The memory card slot expansion is one of those things that may eventually come to the Sony line up once they have exhausted other new features on new models when they bring them out and finally listen to their customer feedback as the penny  does drop eventually with Sony and they do surprise us once in a while by using their common sense and including something that has been long overdue as requested by the us customers who buy and use these things everyday. 

Just hope with these been the prototype they still somehow fit hard playback buttons to the top of this player like the X which I think is a must have. Just hope they think this Walkman button down the side is not meant to be the alternative which I cannot see how it would work when in a pocket.

Other than that this is been long overdue bit of eye candy from Sony and looks like they are going to also be releasing this in a variety of colours (with Sony's  country availability of certain colours as usual will apply) but this would look nice in a brushed metal silver effect. 

Just await further developments on this potentially with the  put back on the map "Walkman" for Sony with great anticipation really. 

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #22 of 64

Quote:
I want a real Walkman replacement, complete with remote controls of yesteryear (a la MiniDisc).
I don't want this ugly device with a big screen and uncomfortable square edges.

This does look like the first in a overhaul of the Walkman brand and will be more Android Walkmans to come which will be different screen sizes and designs most probably.
Case of watch this space for what might occur in 2012 for other Sony releases to the line up. In the mean time maybe the new A series would match your criteria?

Coming from someone who used to be a "la MiniDisc" maverick owning the MZR-30 Recorder MD Walkman,  then the MZ-E900 and the beautiful elegant design of the MZ-E10 - MD10th anniversary  edition with the player hardly much thicker than an MiniDisc which of course all had that great ability of in-line remote's that Sony done so well.

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #23 of 64
love the minidisc era...still use my mze10 on a daily basis, however i do admit that although just a player it still lacks quality over some of the sharp netmd's i've got. =[

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #24 of 64
Sep 8, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #25 of 64
This looks really great! I imagine many manufacturers are going to start adopting the android platform, I sure would love an HTC EVO phone, with Cowon J3 guts, and an android 2.3 rooted operating system to boot! There could be lots of cool options for music apps and different music players! See: Shazam to find a song, click to download right onto your player -- listen immediately.

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #27 of 64

Quote:
This does look like the first in a overhaul of the Walkman brand and will be more Android Walkmans to come which will be different screen sizes and designs most probably.
Case of watch this space for what might occur in 2012 for other Sony releases to the line up. In the mean time maybe the new A series would match your criteria?

Coming from someone who used to be a "la MiniDisc" maverick owning the MZR-30 Recorder MD Walkman,  then the MZ-E900 and the beautiful elegant design of the MZ-E10 - MD10th anniversary  edition with the player hardly much thicker than an MiniDisc which of course all had that great ability of in-line remote's that Sony done so well.

MiniDisc ruled.
I haven't liked any Walkman line-up in modern times for some basic reasons:

I really don't care for big screens in a player, and fixed storage sizes and non-removable batteries.

When they release a unit with proper remote, removable storage & batteries, then I will be interested. Then they will be doing something UNIQUE and different to all the other losers in the portable audio market (aside from sound quality).

I love Sony's PCM-M10, but it's not branded as a Walkman and its tasks are more for content creation. Anyway, make that half the size, keep the headphone output the same power or more (so we can have a wider variety of headphone choices like on the old-school Walkmans), give us a proper remote (please!) and add some better playback features/search features that the PCM-M10 lacks. Take the mics out. Take the in-built speaker out. Just make it smaller, allow optional mic, which they can easily do with the tiny MicroSD/M2 cards as the storage medium.

On their really small stick models, allow removable MicroSD storage and give a proper remote for the higher models. Let the storage be the user's choice.

I don't want a colour touchscreen or touch controls anywhere except on the unit's buttons and the remote. I want removable storage and batteries for longevity. I don't care for this throwaway society and I don't care for Android. I want a Walkman that focuses on the basics again: great sound, great headphone output, basic screen to get around with and edit (like MiniDisc), a nice 3-line or 4-line monochrome LCD screen. Great sound. Great battery life. The ability to carry a spare battery if it runs out on a trip/holidy/outing. The ability to switch media. That's it!

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #28 of 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too will be waiting for the 64gb version as a minimum as I only listen to WAV files and with the ability to have some app's will no doubt still fill that up fairly quickly. 
The memory card slot expansion is one of those things that may eventually come to the Sony line up once they have exhausted other new features on new models when they bring them out and finally listen to their customer feedback as the penny  does drop eventually with Sony and they do surprise us once in a while by using their common sense and including something that has been long overdue as requested by the us customers who buy and use these things everyday. 

Sony used to really innovate.

Not having removable storage these days is very poor. I don't know what they are waiting for, or who they think their customers are (suckers?). They are also capable of supporting FLAC lossless playback (as we have seen from a Sony Ericsson product they released supporting FLAC) but haven't implemented it wholesale in their Walkman hardware. Very poor for a company that used to do so much to tape Walkmans to enhance their sound for their users.

Their Walkman sizes were constantly reduced, despite the bigger media. The remotes were fantastic. The removable batteries were fantastic (both gumstick and AAs). The battery life was always the top for their class. Their headphone outputs were high-powered and fantastic.

Now they seem content with innovating very little.
Same with Panasonic and Sharp and other players who basically shared the worldwide portable audio market between them.

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #30 of 64
An Android Sony, wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back