PRAISE THE LORD!!! Sony coming out with (SEXY) new Android DAP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 31, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 64
Ooooh, very interesting.  I hope the sound quality is up to snuff.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 64
That coverflow-like look is awesome! 

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 64
I assume it's a work in progress still. Apart from the unique coverflow, which looks intriguing, the UI looks a bit plain and unfinished.

Sony are turning up late to the party and, if Sony keep to their usual high princing, I don't see enough to make this a contender.

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 64
Surprised no one's brought up the fact that sony's codec support on their walkmens have always been kind of picky.

Here's hoping they're actually trying to build a machine catered to every music nerd's tastes.

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 64
Shouldn't matter how late they are to the android party if they've been watching carefully to avoid the mistakes Cowon and Creative and Latte have made with their attempts. Make sure it comes with the latest version of android (IceCreamSandwich, hopefully), and make sure the media apps are far better than the stock android ones are. Optimize the battery to last more than 5 hours.  24 would be reasonable target if it'll do that with WiFi on and streaming from Google Music or their own subscription service. Looks decent enough except for a little thick.  I'll take that though if it means a giant battery is inside.

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 64

It has the same digital amp (Master-s MX) as the A865 I recently bought. Sound quality is excellent, but not better than the iPhone4 or iPod Classic (using an amp and LOD). All three sound great to me, so if you need an Android mini-tablet that has excellent SQ, this would be nice I suppose. I only am keeping the A865 because I use it at home, around the house (very small and light). Not sure why anyone would want this if they have an iPhone or Android phone with good sound/storage. When I got the 32GB iPhone4, the Touch I owned was sold within a week (and it helped pay for the iPhone). If the iPhone5 comes out in 64GB, I will sell the 4 and buy the 5.

Also, this Sony could be $500+ depending on storage. I guess this makes sense for someone, but not sure who.

Very true in regards to the price, Sony needs to work on that. They tend to overprice their DAPs. Honestly imo, (and it has been clear) it seems Sony seems to use their actual brand name for credibility than actually putting out good results in the sound department. The Classic and IP4 should also be better via HO, considering my experience with Sony DAPs. IP5 may be really interesting if they actually implement the Wolfson DAC (yes, I heard it's coming back) and 24bit playback. Though still, I don't have any problems at all with the Cirrus DACs use in the Classic and IP4, they're as good as Wolfsons imo. 

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 64
OMG so many awesome new DAP's are coming out! This one indeed looks fabulous and super sleek. I have no experience with anything Android-run. How could Android as an operational system affect the SQ of a certain product? Is there an existing DPA running on Android whose SQ rivals Cowon J3/iPhone 4/iPod Touch 4 (with the added EQu or Equalizer apps)? Samsung does Android for their smart phones, but Samsung also manufactured the biggest buying flop I have ever made and that which I always regret--Bang & Olufsen Beosound 6.

Sep 1, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #13 of 64
Cnet calls it a phone.
Can you make calls with it?
Also, if it is android, would it be possible to play FLAC on it?
And what is the memory size, and is there a slot?
Questions questions questions; if the answers are 3x yes, I'll probably get it, no matter what the price is.

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #14 of 64
I wouldn't get too excited about this yet.  It would be just like Sony to make sure that this player never sees main street America.  Seems like they tend to reserve the best gear for everywhere other than North America. 

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #15 of 64
I have an android phone and can play flacs on it so i don't see why it would not be able to play flacs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back