Practical Listening: How can I find differences between hi/lo end earphones?
Jan 12, 2009 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

freedomflyer

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I recently got my first pair of nice IEMs - a pair of Super.Fi 5 Pro's. I also have a pair of ~$70 Maximo iMetal earphones that I used and enjoyed, but wanted something a little extra special. Currently, I listen to all my audio with 320kbps mp3.

I have conducted listening tests between my two pairs of earphones, and although they weren't scientific per se, they were fairly objective and fair. While I could tell that the Super.Fi's were just a little more "full" and I'd prefer them over my Maximo's, if both of the products were packaged into the same form factor, it wouldn't be too easy for me to tell the difference. I suppose I could after listening very carefully, but it wasn't something that really took me aback. Now, from my understanding, the Super.Fi's aren't considered "cheap" by any means, and although there are certainly pairs of IEM's that are a little nicer, most would agree that the SF's aren't exactly deadbeats.
I currently don't have a DAC/AMP (I'm using it straight out of iPod and Laptop).

So I'm wondering what materials I can read/listen to to train my ear to hear these differences and appreciate the difference of high quality vs medium quality earphones. I want to take the next level in my audio, but if I can't hear the difference, what's the point?
Hopefully you guys understand
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the help!

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 17
For analysis, testing, etc. you should use the original audio source (in this case the CD), playing from the best source possible. The source is the most important part. Crap in, crap out.

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 17
Play a song that you've heard 1000 times before. You'll be able to tell the difference in the quality of the sound much more easily than in a song that you previously heard just a couple of times.

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 17
Best source possible = Laptop, for now. I can use some CD's, but I didn't get all my music from CD's.
Would a dedicated, normal CD player/boombox be better than using my Laptop? Until I can afford a portable DAC/AMP then I'll have to make do with what I have.
But I'm looking for information to read and study if and when I get a DAC/AMP and then I can use CD +DAC/AMP combo to get the best possible sound. Any material?

GN85 - That is really good advice. One other thing - what appear to be the most effective practices in listening and evaluating: Listening to a song all the way through a few times with one pair, and then switching them out? Or playing a certain part once, then comparing again, or what?

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 17
You need to train your ears & mind. A lot of being able to pick out the small details is to know what to listen for. You sort of have to hear what "good" is before you can recognize "good."

It's sort of like the 16 year old kid getting his first car audio system. He goes to his local Best Buy and pretty much throws random speakers into his car. On the small scale, they sound great to him because it's better then blown stock speakers. However, on the grand scale of things, they're pretty much low end junk. Everyone has their own yardstick of experiences they measure by. It's up to you to expand your yard stick of experience.

This correlates to all aspects sound, things like tonality, and smoothness of frequency response, level of detail, speed of notes, weight of notes, stage presence and locations, all kinds of crap really. You basically just listen to better and better hardware and setups and you being to broaden your experience range. The more you experience, the more detailed and accurate the measurements of perception. When you say headphone A sounds good, you're accurate because you've listened to 100 other headphones and can accurately place that headphone A on your yardstick and be relatively unbiased.

Now it's not limited to only headphones. Frankly, all aspects of audio help. This includes live music, playing in band in high school, car audio, home audio, etc.

As well, you have to understand your own bias. Your "right," your "good" will be different from others. It's like pizza. A lot of people like pizza. Just not everybody likes the same pizza. Your desired flavor in sound will be different from someone else's. This is partially the fact that both your yardsticks are completely different parts of the grand yardstick. Part of it will simply be personal preference.

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 17
Generally I think you should stick to the music you are most familiar with so you can tell what is missing or presented by the headphone. For my own reviewing purpose, I compile a CD with all the different type of music I know very well and each songs has its own character that I can refer to. Some have more bass quality, some have more detail, while some have more complexity I can listen to.

BTW, you might also want to have some consistency by having a standard reviewing rig so you know it isn't the difference in source or amp that affect the end result.

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 17
All of these are good suggestions. Thanks guys! Once I get enough money for a Nuforce Icon Mobile, hopefully then I will be able to have about as high end as I can afford for quite a while. From what I've read and asked and heard, a Laptop + USB DAC/AMP + My current Super.FI's + a few FLAC tracks should produce a pretty high-end sound.
One other thing that I'm wanting to try is to get the exact same song in 128 vs 320 or FLAC..

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #8 of 17
You may want to consider going to a meet as well so that you can develop some references.

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #9 of 17
If you only source is laptop, GN85's suggestion is good one. But use either wave of FLAC files with a player like foobar. Don't use EQ. You can find how to correctly configure foobar if you do a search here.

Foobar

Jan 12, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #11 of 17
In this Hobby..Ignorance is gonna save u lot of money..the more u know of audio and how bad/good it can sound..the more u wanna buy.

so if u find SF5 'slightly' better than ur other iem..its good for ur wallet.

I was almost gonna buy SF5 PRo when i accidentally auditioned the IE7 and IE8.
and now SF5 Pro is history

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 17
Interesting comments. Well, I tried using my CD player last night before I went to sleep, I put in one of my favorite CD's and just sat there listening very intently for an hour, listening to nuances in one IEM and the other, and I can say that there is just more "fullness" to the sound like so many people talk about.

One question: once I get a portable DAC/AMP, and I use it on both pairs of my IEMs, will my higher end S.F p5 take the audio to a level higher than my cheaper IEM's? I mean, if I increase the quality by "10 points" with my SF's, will it increase linearly "10 points" with my cheaper IEM's, or wil the SF's be able to reach newer heights than my cheaper IEM's?

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by freedomflyer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting comments. Well, I tried using my CD player last night before I went to sleep, I put in one of my favorite CD's and just sat there listening very intently for an hour, listening to nuances in one IEM and the other, and I can say that there is just more "fullness" to the sound like so many people talk about.

One question: once I get a portable DAC/AMP, and I use it on both pairs of my IEMs, will my higher end S.F p5 take the audio to a level higher than my cheaper IEM's? I mean, if I increase the quality by "10 points" with my SF's, will it increase linearly "10 points" with my cheaper IEM's, or wil the SF's be able to reach newer heights than my cheaper IEM's?

Please! Please! For the sake of your wallet. Don't invest any more money in AMPs and DACs.

First only listen to the SF 5 Pros for a couple of weeks with different music you like. Then go back to your older IEMs. You need to let your ears get used to the new sound signature.

The problem with A/B testing, especially when you are not trained to listen for things will only confuse you.

The brain is very good at downgrading and finding sound acceptable. But when you go up it is more obvious. You'll pop the cheaper one and find the sound "not that much" worse.

Also in Audiophile land "Huge improvement" means minor for most people who are not Audiophiles.

I can easily tell the difference between IEMs driven by my iPhone 3G. Any decent MP3 player will do just fine.

Make sure your digital files are ripped lossless or high bitrate. Also try a wide variety of music. Jazz and acoustic stuff is usually recorded much better.

Most pop music on CDs is quite compressed and on a revealing system can be unbearable. In the end for the type of music you listen to if high-end products don't make them more enjoyable. Count your self very lucky. As others have said your wallet will thank you.

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 17
Yeah, I was wondering if it was the hugest deal in the world to get these DAC/AMP's. I'm sure it couldn't hurt...but...
I get lots of ~80mb FLAC files online, that is the source for most of my HQ music. Then I use VLC media player to play through it. Also, does anyone know where I can get a simple, cheap extender cord? This one is like 2 feet long. I don't like them very long, but I need SOME space
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #15 of 17
Okay - redaction - I now officially believe that this stuff is amazing. I took the time and got some Simon and Garfunkel, Bach, Coldplay in FLAC format (say "goodbye" to other downloads, these are HUGE files!) and I am playing them with VLC and Foobar (which, by the way, feel very similar. Why do so many people use foobar instead?)
And as I was listening, I just all of the sudden realized this stuff is actually really ENJOYABLE! It is so clear I can actually hear what's going on and things.
One thing I have noticed is that the Super.Fi 5 Pro's are a little weak in the Bass department...is that true from what you all have experienced? I'm actually a little glad that they are, because I want to depart from thinking that more bass and more volume = better sound. I've come to start loving some higher pitched nuances rather than just liking to hear downright bass (however important).

Also - one thing that I have been doing lately is wearing a beanie over my IEM's to give them just enough pressure to stay in nice and snug and keep everything kind of in one spot...is that something a lot of people do? (Sounds weird, I know...but I've found it's the best way for me to keep my earphones comfy and keeping ye' ol' seal)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back