PPX3 Dilemma...
Nov 25, 2007 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently acquired a singlepower ppx3 slam and am using it with my macbook and grado 325i. Before I go any further, let me give some background on some of the equipment I've used. I have had and used the following:

Sources:
terretac(cant remember which one, been a long time lol)
emu 1212m

Headphones/earphones:
AKG 501, k1000, 340
Senn 580
Grado RS-1, 325i(I am using these exclusively now)
Allesandro MS-2i
Headphile hp1000s, k3000s

Amps:
Cmoy
Go-vibe v6
Maxxed PPA
Millet Hybrid
Jolida 1501rc(for k1000s and speakers)

I mention this because what I am about to say seems noobish, to me at least. I prefer the go-vibe to the ppx3 slam. I know, this sounds absolutely crazy. I prefer the $70 go vibe to the $700 ppx3 slam.

I like the slam's bass and the weight behind the instruments. I also like how liquid the midrange is and how beautiful vocals sound. However, I do not like how compressed the sound is. The soundstage is more closed in compared to the go vibe. Additionally, there appears to be more detail with the go vibe(w/AD8066).

I know that with a better soucre the amp will improve, but the go-vibe would also improve so that is almost a moot point to me. So I am wandering if the tubes I have are hindering the performance or if this is just the sound of the ppx3.(im using the ei's that come with it, rca 5867, rca 6cg7, and some ge tubes with worn off writing) I usually prefer a more analytical sound because I love to hear things everything that is hidden in the track. That is why I loved my ppa. However, I thought I'd give the ppx3 to give tubes a shot. The ppx3 does seem like a more fun amp due to the dynamics and speed.

Should I sale the amp or is there something I am possibly missing?

Nov 25, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 24
Sell the Singlepower, and spend the cash on either a different amp (such as the MAD EAR+ HD, which sounds great with 325i's), or on some form of source or headphones upgrade; whatever tickles your fancy. It simply doesn't make sense to continue using a $700 product when you are admittedly happier listening to a $70 portable amp -- the money is simply better spent elsewhere.

Good luck,
Nick

Nov 25, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 24
I absolutely love the PPX3 SLAM with Alessandro MS2's. If you truly have RCA brand 5687's those tubes are dark and opaque sounding. The RCA 6CG7 is a very nice sounding tube. I would try some Tung Sol D getter 5687's or Sylvania 5687WA's. Those tubes are much cleaner and clearer sounding; especially if you like a more detailed and brighter sound. Do you know how the tubes in your amp happen to be? A compressed sound could simply be a symptom of worn out tubes.

If a tube change doesnt work for you tubes may not be to your taste. I had a Mapletree Ear+ and a special custom Ear+ Super and I much prefer the SLAM. I would invest the money in a better source for the amps you do have if you dont like the SLAM.

Nov 25, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 24
The SLAM and your headphones deserve a better source. I would strongly recommend giving some better sources a try. The SLAM is a good amplifier, but perhaps solid state is your preference. It's not strange to prefer "solid state state" over the "tube sound". There are of course tube amps that can deliver the details and airiness that you prefer, but those cost significantly more money. You are not the first to have the same thoughts regarding the SLAM. There are people who like the warmth and others who prefer a more open sound. My opinion is that a good solid state like a GS-1, M^3, Beta22, etc. may be a very good choice for you. Don't get caught up in undeserved FOTM of certain poor solid state amplifiers however!

Nov 25, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 24
Thanks guys.

Yea, I agree that it deserves a better source, but i also know that the source is not going to change the signature of the amp. I think I may just not be a tube man. I will look into other tubes though, just in case.

Also, the amp is relatively new and I believe the tubes are also. More suggestions are welcome, I don't want to make a quick and wrong decision. lol

Nov 25, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys.

Yea, I agree that it deserves a better source, but i also know that the source is not going to change the signature of the amp. I think I may just not be a tube man. I will look into other tubes though, just in case.

Also, the amp is relatively new and I believe the tubes are also. More suggestions are welcome, I don't want to make a quick and wrong decision. lol

Your source is the bottleneck .... you have no idea how much a good source can improve the sound quality until you experience the difference firsthand.

Regardless of how new the tubes are RCA 5687's give a very colored sound. I have close to 200 5687's and the RCA is the only one I dont buy up when I see a good price.

Go Celtics!
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 24
I think you need an upgraded source, as well. Even a $300 NAD or Cambridge would be a step up. You've got some terrific headphones, too. Try to get the most out of them.

Have you considered a turntable?

Nov 25, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 24
I understand that I need a better source. I am planning to get one. However, I do not think the amp is bottlenecked by the source because the amps job is to amplify the signal coming from the source. If the source were the bottleneck, it would sound just as "bad" through my go-vibe, and it doesn't. If I were to sell, I'd probably go for a emu0404 and a pair of akg k701s. Sounds very tempting. lol

Nov 25, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go Celtics!
biggrin.gif

I like how you tried to sneak that in there. lol
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that with a better soucre the amp will improve, but the go-vibe would also improve so that is almost a moot point to me.

There's the fault in your logic right there. The reason why the go-vibe sounds better than the PPX3 right now is because the PPX3 is revealing the flaws in your source that the go-vibe is hiding. Once you've upgrade your source your music will no doubt sound better through the PPX3 than the go-vibe as the resolving power of the PPX3 lets you hear deeper into the music.

Nov 26, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's the fault in your logic right there. The reason why the go-vibe sounds better than the PPX3 right now is because the PPX3 is revealing the flaws in your source that the go-vibe is hiding.

I understand your logic but I just don't think it applies here. For example, what I like better about the go-vibe is the openness and wider soundstage. Besides that, in every other aspect the ppx3 is better imo. The ppx3 has more weight behind the music, is more dynamic, and fun. It's not like the sound goes from great with the go-vibe to terrible with the ppx3. I just think the sound is different.

A new source can possibly change the upfront and condensed nature of the ppx3 slightly, but that is part of the sound signature of the ppx3. I have even read this in reviews and impressions of the amp. I just didn't think I would not like it.

Nov 26, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #13 of 24
The 5687s do have a more upfront presentation, there is no doubt about it (than compared to other tubes like a 6BL7GT/A). You may want to try a 6gu7 for gain though as it is a more open sounding tube than a 6cg7.

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #14 of 24
So what are the more popular tubes for the slam? I'm still not sure what I am going to do, I like everything about it except the narrow soundstage.

Nov 27, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 24
Let me just add that differences in tubes will not likely make or break your love for an amp; the final sound quality of your headphones is much more dependent on other factors such as the quality of the source and source material, be it an upgraded CD player or a new SACD player. Based on my experience, that is, I do not think that a change in tubes will dramatically alter your current feelings about the overall soundstage of the PPX3, as I have found different tube combinations to only slightly broaden a soundstage at best.

Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back