PPA Project Announcement
May 14, 2003 at 3:18 PM Post #286 of 340
GREAT JOB!!!
biggrin.gif

Currently still building another PPA in Singapore, only capacitor is complete...
very_evil_smiley.gif

May change to this latest version!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 16, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #287 of 340
morsel,

I just looked over some of this thread today. very nice. I'm also happy to see you are not using the BUF634, I too find the sound not quite right.

As for the 10R to isolate signal ground from power supply ground, I agree completely. I've used this technique for some time in power amps and preamps and it works exceedingly well.

The other two suggestions to consider are:

1. place ferrite bead (FB in SMT) in series with the power supplies to all devices to further lower noise.

2. de-couple the power supply of the HA5002. that is, have a FB going to V2+/- after the FB, have a 100R in series with this point and V1+ and another from the (-) supply to V1-. place a 100 uF cap from V1+/- to ground, obviously observing proper polarity.

The HA5002 is unique in allowing this sort of PS de-coupling of the input stage from the output. While such de-coupling is sometimes frowned upon as old-fashioned, it works amazing well at lower input noise. Check it out on a 'scope and see.

Regards, Robert

PS You might even consider a FB SMT on the input signal leads too to limit EMI getting in from that direction. I like adding a large one around the input AC wires inside my chassis too.

May 17, 2003 at 5:07 PM Post #289 of 340
Mekanoplastik asked, "can a pair of rca connectors be added as line out so the amp can be also used as preamp?"

I have a new answer for you. Wire the RCA jacks to the left and right channel outputs and the signal ground input. This does not buffer line out from headphone out as my first suggestion of tapping the opamp outputs, but it does not require the opamps to drive the line out jacks. In either case, signal ground should be used rather than the output of the ground channel or ground channel opamp to prevent shorting it to signal ground.

Jun 12, 2003 at 5:35 AM Post #290 of 340
Just heard one of the prototypes (see my minireview over in the Amps forum, "Whoa. All hail the PPA!"). You guys (Ppl especially) did good...
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2003 at 12:36 PM Post #293 of 340
Some question...

The ground signal for the AD8610 comes from the TLE2426. If I have an ground channel, would it be the same if use FET isolate the ground to replace the rail splitter? Same like FET Isolated Power Rails?

That's it. After I increase the rail voltage, the opamp and buffer are slightly hotter.

Jun 13, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #295 of 340
Quote:

would it be the same if use FET isolate the ground to replace the rail splitter? Same like FET Isolated Power Rails?

No, that wouldn't be a good idea at all. A TLE2426 is a lot mroe complicated than a JFET. Some of the bad effects that would be caused by implementing your idea:

- You'd need more board space: at minimum, you need some resistors to divide down the supply voltage, or to set the JFET's gain so that output stays at V+/2.

- It is likely that you would get voltage fluctuations that depend on the load on the circuit. This would mean the voltage would rise and fall as current rose and fell -- voila, the load is now modulating the ground. Bad juju. We can get away with this on the power rails since the op-amps' current draw doesn't change very much in operation, especially if you bias it into class A. The same does not apply to the buffers or the ground channel, so they cannot get away with a simple isolating JFET.

Quote:

is there any plans to include mounting holes for tangents crossfeed board ??

There are plans to allow some kind of crossfeed daughterboard, but we don't expect to support the META42 crossfeed board, since that's space-compromsed due to META42 limitations. The PPA will allow us to use more space on the board for bigger caps and a nicer mounting scheme. This is all way up in the air at the moment, since the crossfeed doesn't drive the design of the amp; it's tacked on after the fact, so we're putting decisions about this off on purpose.

Jun 14, 2003 at 3:28 AM Post #296 of 340
I think you misunderstood me. I better give you more details...
biggrin.gif

I uses DC-DC converter with the output of +12V, -12V and 0V.
TEN 3-0522
http://www.tracopower.com/products/ten3.htm
With the load regulation at 2% and 50mV pk-pk ripple.

My question.
Can I use JFET to isolate the 0V from my DC-DC?

Thanks!!!
tongue.gif

Jun 14, 2003 at 5:02 PM Post #297 of 340
Quote:

Can I use JFET to isolate the 0V from my DC-DC?

Oh, and here I thought you were talking about the PPA project in the PPA project thread.
rolleyes.gif

Please start a new thread about it. Give more details, like what measurements you're seeing that lead you to believe you should try this.

Jun 14, 2003 at 6:09 PM Post #298 of 340
It is the clone PPA that I am working on. Try to cut down on the batteries to 4 or 6 instead of 18.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Let me try a new thread since US is awake. Now I am seeing about 2am with no dog howling!!!

Jun 26, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #299 of 340
I am mostly done moving to the new apartment. DSL is up. The kitchen is still a disaster. I'm on page 650 of 900 reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix aloud with a friend in the evening. It's slow going, but more fun that way. Work on the PPA continues.

Kurt's measurements indicate there is no benefit to adding more buffers to the ground channel but not the left and right channels. So, for example, we could not detect any difference between 2-4-2 and 2-2-2. In order from best to worst, here is our ranking of buffer configurations:

4-4-4 > 3-4-3, 3-3-3 > 2-4-2, 2-3-2, 2-2-2

More buffers mean lower output impedance, tighter bass, and less distortion. As a result, we have no plans to eliminate the 4 buffer per channel configuration in favor of lesser configurations, a possibility which was discussed previously.

We could not tell the difference between 2000uF and 8000uF of filter capacitance, nor between Elna Cerafine and Panasonic FC. Using 8 220uF Cerafine or 2 1000uF FC should be fine.

There was almost no difference between using a cheap unregulated wallwart, a regulated Elpac WM080 wallwart, and an LM317 based regulated supply. Despite these results we have not given up on the capacitive multiplier power supply yet, as it may come in handy for powering the battery board or other amps, and it should please the uberanal.

Using a single set of FET isolated power rails to power all 3 opamps instead of 3 sets of rails, one per opamp, Kurt and I were unable to either measure a difference using RMAA or hear any difference after about 30 minutes of listening. While we acknowledge your ears may be better than ours, we will include jumpers so that the PPA can optionally be wired for a single set of opamp rails. If nothing else, it will be interesting to see if anyone else (besides PPL) can hear a difference.

We are currently working on resolving some battery board and power flow integration issues. A new layout and updated documentation will follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back