PPA & Grado SR-225?
Aug 19, 2004 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jboehle

1000+ Head-Fier
I would appreciate some comments on a PPA/Grado SR-225 combo. I have the Grado's on the way, but don't want to dismiss them without hearing them with a good amp first, as from everything I've read, they need loads of current. I have a PPA sitting around that I don't use currently, just wondering how it compares to the Grado RA-1 when paired with Grado cans. My PPA uses 4 buffers per channel and OPA637/OPA627 op-amps. But I could change to any op-amps one thought matched well with the Grados.

On another note, I have AT A900s on the way as well. The general opinion around here is that the A900s don't improve very much with an amp, but just wondering if anyone has tried a PPA w/ A900s?

-Jason

Aug 19, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 8
The PPA is a good, solid amp for Grados. There is no magic "synergy" with this particular combo, so you may find it too hard or harsh or bright, but it is a good, competent combo. The RA-1 has virtually no low bass and is certainly not competitive with the PPA in that area, but the highs of the RA-1 are a bit smoother; however the highs are also kind of grainy. In my opinion the RA-1 is mostly a joke (I used to own it, as well as the SR-125 and SR-225) but others will disagree and suggest that there is a huge amount of synergy here. Your mileage will vary. In my opinion, Pete Millett's hybrid tube amp has much more synergy with Grados (strong bass, smooth highs). People have said good things about the MAD Ear+ as well, but I haven't heard it.

Aug 19, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 8
you can get synergy with the ppa with the right configuration, the right opamps and caps, sr225 sounds great, for people people to say that it sounds this and that way all the time is silly, there is no one ppa, since its a DIY project, what wodgy mentioned might be true of the stock ppa, 5002 buffers with the most basic of componentsl

Aug 19, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 8
Keep the gain low and don't be afraid to increase the value of R1.... You are going to have to experiment to find the best combination for your listening level.

BTW, some of us missed you in your absence
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 8
The OPA637/627 are a good opamp match on the PPA with the Grado SR225. I happen to like the SR225 sound very much, and I thought that the PPA improved the sound I was getting from the SR225 sufficiently to make it worth the $400-ish I paid for the PPA. It's a good combination to my ear.

Aug 19, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 8
LT1122 and LT1028 are even better, www.linear-tech.com, im currently using the 1028 in mine.

Aug 19, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack
The OPA637/627 are a good opamp match on the PPA with the Grado SR225. I happen to like the SR225 sound very much, and I thought that the PPA improved the sound I was getting from the SR225 sufficiently to make it worth the $400-ish I paid for the PPA. It's a good combination to my ear.

I run the same combo, the Grados sound fantastic on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back