PPA done
Jan 17, 2005 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MN Ham Phones

100+ Head-Fier
This is the final result of my first amp project.

I am happy with the sound. It is loud, clean, and free of any buzz. It is a tad bright on some material with my Grado SR125s, but the bass boost works wonders. I have yet to try my ER-4Ps with it. My sources could be improved:two iPod models, G5 Mac audio out, and a combo DVD/CD player. I can definately hear some artifacts on my lesser quality MP3s.

I selected resistor values for a gain of 4, bass boost of 2, Fc=255Hz, Fs=180Hz. I'm done messing with values for now, but wonder if the bass values shouldn't be lowered.

I purchased components for class A biasing but got lazy and left them out. Also considered cross-feed but never implemented it. I'm not entirely happy with the front panel appearance or my wiring inside. Perhaps it will look better with panel markings. Total cost was $466.

Troubleshooting was minimal. The Mouser supplied LM-317T died immediately in the STEPS unit, but a RatShack replacement is holding up. The PPA board worked first time.

Future plans: MapleTree Audio Ear+, Source (likely Rotel), and different set of cans.

Jan 17, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 4
Nice job. Black anodized Par metals 20 case? Glad it sounds good. It might be better to put standoffs on the front side of the PCB also (prolly no difference tho). I assume the pot is supporting that end of the board?

Jan 17, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 4
Yup, 20 series case. Three inch high model for more clearance. The pot does a decent job supporting the front edge, but I still feel some guilt for omitting them. I also left one out near the heatsink on the STEPS. When I can find some nylon hardware I'll add that one in.

Jan 17, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 4
Very nice first amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back