Powering a cmoy with a 24vdc wallwart?
Jan 24, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 13
actually it is a grado ra1 clone I got, but I figured that more peoples have experience with cmoys, they are basicaly the same.
Though there is one difference. The ra1 doesnt use resistors as a voltagedivider.

Therefore the battery + goes to + on opamp and to ground, and battery - goes to opamp - and ground....

Do I need a resistor voltage divider? Or should I connect the wallwart + to opamp + and ground and the same with wallwart -?

Jan 24, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 13
You need a rail splitter, preferrably, and you may or may not be happy with the results until you regulate it.

Jan 24, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrioN
Do I need a resistor voltage divider? Or should I connect the wallwart + to opamp + and ground and the same with wallwart -?

If you connect wallwart + and wallwart - both to ground, you're gonna short out and blow up the wallwart. The RA-1 (and presumably your clone (which is ok if you built it for yourself, otherwise it's stealing from food out of the mouths of John Grado's family)) uses 2 batteries to create a +,-,GND supply. There are various ways to do this from your single supply wall-wart. Take a look at tangent's virtual ground page.

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

I have been at tangentsoft many times before, I was hoping to get a quick answer here. Is it possible to make a railsplitter for a wallwart with just 2 resistors?

Same thing as powering it with a battery... with the same issues. It's also possible to make an active railsplitter with a few easily sourced and cheap parts...

Jan 24, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

does the voltagedividing resistors have to be very close to the opamp powerpins?

Not at all - on this one.

Yes, you can use resistors for a voltage splitter. If you're going to use a wallwart exclusively, current draw is not an issue. Just be reasonable with their values (not too low), match the resistors and check everything before putting the opamp

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back