Powerful Portable Amp to drive FOstex T50RP ($100-200)
Oct 20, 2011 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

theguatemalian

Head-Fier
I have a nice setup for these headphones at home but I love the sound and I am on the go very often, and would like to be able to drive them from either my ipod while I'm at the library. FInals coming up :/.

So what are some powerful amps with low output impedance for these 50 Ohm Orthos??

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #2 of 7
SInce no one seems to have any input I have a few options and I'd like for someone maybe to see if any pf these are good.

Fiio E11 (Says is has 200mW output at 32Ohms)
CmoyBB (JDSLabs website says it can drive 600Ohm Senns and 250Ohm Beyers? Is it true?)
Little Dot MK 1+
Headroom Total Airhead

I'm keeping it to AMP only portables with no DAC since they have a higher mW output are there any other options that are better than these 2 at the <$200 price range?

Edit: Added 2 more contenders.

Thanks for any input guys!

Oct 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 7
Hi There, I use my E11 and Rockboxed Sansa Fuze to drive these headphones without much issue.  It makes for a pleasant sounding combination that is not too cumbersome to slip into a pocket.  I really like the ergonomics of these two paired with a little velcro in between.  The high voltage setting, high gain, and no base boost setup sound best with my current T50RP mods. 

Oct 21, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 7
I didn't know there were 600 ohm Sennheisers, except one model of HD25-1.

You don't need a lot of power. The T50RP is quite efficient, same sensitivity as a Grado just with a slightly higher impedance. You only need around 1Vrms, or 20mW at 50 ohms. The Fiio E11 would serve you well, as would a little E5.

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
SInce no one seems to have any input I have a few options and I'd like for someone maybe to see if any pf these are good.

CmoyBB (JDSLabs website says it can drive 600Ohm Senns and 250Ohm Beyers? Is it true?)
Little Dot MK 1+
Headroom Total Airhead

I'm keeping it to AMP only portables with no DAC since they have a higher mW output are there any other options that are better than these 2 at the <$200 price range?

Edit: Added 2 more contenders.

Thanks for any input guys!

I have the T50RP and have used an E11 with it. I think it works well, though I had to find a Sennheiser style 6.5-3.5mm adapter, otherwise the connector stack would have been huge. 

Jack

Oct 28, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 7
For that money, the OP could have the EPH-02, but it may not be the amp for someone starting out in this sport/hobby/obsession. The House of Fiio seems to have something to suit all budgets - newcomers are much better catered to than they were 3 years ago, even if the elite would still turn down their collective nose at their products.

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguatemalian /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Little Dot MK 1+
Headroom Total Airhead

I wouldn't get too hung up on raw power output, that doesn't directly correlate with quality (esp. considering you're talking about library use anyways, unless you're out to bother your neighbors 
tongue_smile.gif
). Can't give you any comparisons but I do frequently use iPod line-out->e11->t50rp and there's more than enough power to blow eardrums, in a quiet place setting the volume to 3 of 10 is quite adequate. The e5 is more of a toy, but the e11 is definitely a proper amp and I rather enjoy its' bass boost with the t50rp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back