Powered Sub with 2 channel reciever?
Jan 11, 2006 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Little J040

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all, i just picked up a powered sub that someone was going to throw out, figured id try to get it to work
I have a 2 channel Kenwood reciever, and i was wondering if theres anyway to use the powered sub in this setup. The powered sub has speaker inputs and outputs, and has 2 rca jacks, one for input and output. Anyway i could hook 2 speakers up and the sub playing from the same source??

I dont see how i can get it to work.

The model number is SA-w305. Thanks again!!

-Jeff

Jan 11, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 19
anyone have any ideas? I noticed that my amp has Speakers A and B, but ive never tried to use 4 speakers at once. Would using the B speakers for the Sub work??

Jan 11, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 19
Receiver speaker out -> Sub speaker in

Sub speaker out -> your speakers.

(unless your receiver has a sub output)

-Dan

Jan 11, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 19
If our Sub has speaker outs, then there there is a bypass circuit in the sub to route the lower frequency sounds to the sub and pass the rest on to the speakers. This is a better connection than putting your sub on the B speaker set, and leaving the speakers on the A connection. Your regular speakers will do better without the low frequencies being sent to them, and vice-versa on the sub.

Sometime the sub will have a switch for different bypass frequencies, you will have to take your regular speakers frequency response into account when you set this. The sub may also have a dial for the amount of bass you want expressed, from barely noticeable to window shaking, this is especially true if the bass has its own amplifier (has a plug to the wall on it)

You should notice a large difference in your sound, particularly as you move away from the speakers, the sub will extend the "good" listening area.

Jan 11, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 19
Thanks guys, im gonna try it out after i eat
wink.gif
. Ill let ya know how it works

Jan 11, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040
Hi all, i just picked up a powered sub that someone was going to throw out, figured id try to get it to work. I have a 2 channel Kenwood reciever, and i was wondering if theres anyway to use the powered sub in this setup. The powered sub has speaker inputs and outputs, and has 2 rca jacks, one for input and output. Anyway i could hook 2 speakers up and the sub playing from the same source??

I dont see how i can get it to work.

The model number is SA-w305. Thanks again!!

-Jeff

I own a sub so I am very familiar with the general concepts of adding a sub to a stereo system. I do not know this model, but did a Web search and came up with the following that may help you get started...

It looks like you have the following unit from Sony...

sony-sa-w305-subwoofer.jpg

Specs...

Drivers: 6 1/4" woofer
MFR: 28 Hz - 200 Hz
Low pass filter: continuously variable 50 Hz - 200 Hz
Amplifier: 55 watts rms
Phase switch: 0 - 180 degrees
Size: 15" H x 8" W x 15" D
Weight: 21 lbs
Finish: black
Video shielding: no
Connector type: push/spring
Enclosure type: ported

MSRP: $200.00

What they say...

"The Sony SA-W305 subwoofer speaker uses a 6 1/4" long-throw woofer driven by a built-in 60 watt amplifier to deliver the roar of an airplane or the impact of a bass drum. The bass-reflex design of the speaker cabinet, boasting SAW (Super Acoustically Loaded) technology, is built to greatly improve overall bass output, achieving higher SPL levels as a result. The omni-directional bass that the SA-W305 delivers makes up for any lack of sonic depth of both your main speakers. A preamp level and speaker level inputs/outputs provide for an easy connection to your equipment. With a phase reverse switch, adjustable low pass filter, and level control (basically a volume knob), the SA-W305 blends into directly into the natural sound of your system.

For both home theater and music when used in your main system the SA-W305 sounds similar, being plagued by the same problem in both formats. The sound is somewhat rich at low volumes with the level control turned a little above half-way, but quickly begins to distort if not turned down significantly when the system is playing at higher volumes. In fact, the sub can hardly be heard at all because the level control has to be turned down so low at higher volumes. However, when added to a shelf system, the SA-W305 subwoofer improves the bass output noticeably. This is where the best market for the SA-W305 should and will be. Just remember to check and see if your shelf system has preamp or speaker level outputs.

Controls are conveniently placed on the front of the speaker for maximum ease of use, while the slim cabinet design is attractive and easy to place. The biggest obstacle this subwoofer faces in the $250 to $300 price range is the competing subs you can purchase at these prices. The SA-W305 would be best thought of only as a starter sub for people just venturing in the realm of home stereo/theater."

Here's what the features do...

Low pass filter: continuously variable 50 Hz - 200 Hz -- This sets the frequency level at which music is fed to the sub. In other words, frequencies above this point are attenuated. Usually you want this set as low as possible (somewhere between 75 - 125 Hz). I'd start with 100 Hz, then go higher and lower to see which sounds better.

Phase switch: 0 - 180 degrees -- This adjusts the phase of the woofer to help it better blend with your main speakers. I would start with 0, then try other settings to see if you can improve sound.

Video shielding: no -- Keep it away from your TV

There is also a volume control. With subs, you should not be able to identify the source of the bass. If it becomes apparent where the sub is placed in your room, you should probably lower the volume setting on the sub.

Here are my thoughts on how to hook it up...

I would guess that you can run either an RCA out (assuming you have a preamp output on your receiver), or just run speaker wires from your receiver to the sub (i.e. run them in parallel).

Please let us know how it goes!

Jan 12, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13
If our Sub has speaker outs, then there there is a bypass circuit in the sub to route the lower frequency sounds to the sub and pass the rest on to the speakers. This is a better connection than putting your sub on the B speaker set, and leaving the speakers on the A connection. Your regular speakers will do better without the low frequencies being sent to them, and vice-versa on the sub.

Based on what I read on the web, this sub has a low pass filter, so it will pass the lows to the sub. I do not think that it will reduce the bass for the main speakers. But it wouldn't hurt to try hooking your main spkrs to the sub and see if the bass has been attenuated for the mains.

Jan 12, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 19
Woot. Thanks guys, works like a charm. Granted i dont really need the sub because the sansui's i have both have 2 12" woofers, I could see using it for movies or something though.

Jan 12, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 19
I just noted that the bass is definately reduced from the mains when i have them hooked up to the sub outs. I honestly think that my sansui's bass was better than the sony. I was hoping to just have a little additional Oomf from the sony, not have a low pass to the sansui's. Anyway i can do that? Besides that, it works great, i have it all hooked up to my newly aqcuired 10 band eq. lol.

- ON another note, Im getting a crap load of stuff and moving it all to change stuff is getting to be a hassle, anyone know where i can get a cheap audio rack from thats like 4' high. Yeah, i do have that much crap

Jan 12, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

I just noted that the bass is definately reduced from the mains when i have them hooked up to the sub outs. I honestly think that my sansui's bass was better than the sony. I was hoping to just have a little additional Oomf from the sony...

Given the Sony retails for about $200, you should not expect too much in SQ. Getting a sub to blend with main speakers is not an easy task either, but if you play with settings you may get some improvement. Here are some suggestions based on my experience...

For starters, because your main speakers are still producing bass, there is a chance that you will get cancellation (when two sources produce the same frequency out of phase you get 'suckout'). That is where Sony's phase shift feature comes in. Play with the phase and you may get better bass.

If you can, place the sub between the mains. And even better, place the sub a few feet closer to the back wall (i.e. have the mains pulled away from the back wall if possible). Also try to avoid having the sub up against the wall. Bring it out 6" to 1 foot or more if you can.

If you get good bass from the mains, try setting the sub to a very low crossover point (50 - 80 Hz) so that it only augments the lowest frequencies.

For music: Moderation of volume in the sub is key. Ideally you should not know the sub is there until you turn it off and only then realize something’s missing.

For video: If the sony's got it, crank it up and let the floor shake!

Jan 12, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #11 of 19
Thanks a bunch for your help! One question, with the main speakers plugged into the out of the sub plate amp, it must have that low cut off to the mains. How do i hook it up so that i bypass that low cut off?

This definatly would be awesome for a home theatre(ish) setup. When i go back to college i think ill set this all up for the old man downstairs on the main TV. It's too much to lug these giant speakers up to school anyways
biggrin.gif

Thanks again for your help Alwayswantmore!

Jan 12, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Thanks a bunch for your help! One question, with the main speakers plugged into the out of the sub plate amp, it must have that low cut off to the mains. How do i hook it up so that i bypass that low cut off? Thanks again for your help Alwayswantmore!

You're welcome! Regarding the low cut off to the mains...

I would suggest that you test the mains plugged into the sub AND also test the mains plugged directly into your receiver to see if there is any difference in the low end coming from the mains. My guess is that the sub does NOT cut off the signal going to the mains.*

Here's how you test this...

1.) Plug mains into the sub, and turn on power to the sub

2.) Adjust the gain control on the sub up and down. Does the volume control on the sub change the volume to the mains? [The answer will likely be NO.]

3.) While music is playing, disconnect power to the sub (or turn off power to the sub). Does this impact sound to the mains? [Again the answer will probably be NO.]

4.) Now with the power off, raise and lower the crossover frequency. Does this impact the sound to the mains? [Again the answer will probably be NO.]

5.) Now with the sub still turned off, listen to the bass coming out of the mains. Then reconnect the mains directly to your receiver (and leave the sub turned off). Does the bass sound the same as when the mains were connected to the sub? [My guess is the answer will be YES.]

If you get the answers indicated above, then the sub is NOT rolling off the bass signal to your main speakers [i.e. the connections for the mains are just a pass-through].

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. Kent

* Actually it would sound better if you could get the bass cut off to the mains. But again I don't think that this will be possible with this setup. Again, please let me know what you find.

[Edit: Modified instructions.]

Jan 12, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 19
All were correct up until #5. When i turned off the sub and plugged the speakers directly into the reciever like they were originally, the bass came back to the mains. but i put them in the speaker B spot, because i have the sub hooked up to to speaker "A". Thanks again for your thouroughness (did i spell that right? lol, im an engineering major, i don't care how to spell
wink.gif
)

Jan 12, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #14 of 19
Whoops! definately my fault, I lied. The bass didnt change at all. I'm an idiot. One last question before i shut up about this
wink.gif
. Since the mains aren't directly plugged into the reciever, and are plugged into the output of the sub amp, does this mean that the sub amp is amplifying them now and not the reciever?? Or does the reciever just pass through the sub amp to the mains?

eek.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Whoops! definately my fault, I lied. The bass didnt change at all. I'm an idiot. One last question before i shut up about this
wink.gif
. Since the mains aren't directly plugged into the reciever, and are plugged into the output of the sub amp, does this mean that the sub amp is amplifying them now and not the reciever?? Or does the reciever just pass through the sub amp to the mains?

eek.gif

Based on what you wrote above, I believe that when the mains are connected to the sub, the signal for the mains is not altered in any way (straight pass-through). Where possible you want to minimize connections, so I recommend that you leave the mains connected directly to the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back