Powered speakers + Apple onboard sound == background hiss/buzz/static
May 6, 2008 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

hackeron

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

This is my current setup:

Behringer B2031A -> Crappy onboard audio on an Apple desktop.

Problem is despite all grounding, fair stereo cables, UPS (which made it a little better), I hear some background whine/noise/static/buzz whenever I load the PC (i.e. start a high definition movie) and even when the PC is idle the noise is noticeable at night.

This was not an issue when I was running Linux or Windows with the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 but that card is not supported on Mac and as far as I can tell there are no sound cards available for Mac other than cheap USB ones which make the issue worse
mad.gif
(well, or very expensive ones outside of my budget)

Without changing the operating system (which is not an option unfortunately), is there any advice you can give me?

Maybe something like:

Behringer B2031A Active Speakers -> Digital Receiver -> Optical to onboard crappy Apple sound card?

But if pursuing that option what kind of receiver would be suitable considering that I have powered speakers and need no amplification?

Any other ideas/suggestions?

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to mention my budget is $200-$400 and this is a stereo setup.

May 7, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, thats a good choice. Make sure the drivers work for the latest mac os tho.

Search "all the dac's money can buy" that thread has everything.

Thanks for the reply but I've searched for the thread and cannot find it, could you please provide a link?

Also, how do I make sure of that? - the supplier says compatible with 10.3.9 and above.

May 9, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 24
Try my previous combo:
1. MacBook Pro
2. iBasso D1 (when it gets an input from either USB or Mac's optical digital out, the AUX port on the iBasso becomes a clean line-level out - until you plug in headphones to the headphone jack, now you can listen through your speakers or headphones.)
3. AudioEngine powered speakers

May 9, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 24
if i had a mac i would go Apogee Duet and your amp of choice....the HAWTNESS.

May 9, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 24
I'd get the Mac serviced. My rather old iBook G4 has the quietest sonics I've ever heard in a computer and in far too much internet audio surfing, I think yours is the first complaint I've read about a noisy Mac soundcard. You can always get an outboard DAC - it's a good idea in theory anyway - but I think there's something wrong.

Tim

May 9, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd get the Mac serviced. My rather old iBook G4 has the quietest sonics I've ever heard in a computer and in far too much internet audio surfing, I think yours is the first complaint I've read about a noisy Mac soundcard. You can always get an outboard DAC - it's a good idea in theory anyway - but I think there's something wrong.

Tim

I also have a macbook pro and it is average at best and if I plug in an external dvi monitor, it's completely unusable sound wise
frown.gif

I have also now bought an Emu 0404 USB and it's WORSE than the mac onboard one
frown.gif
- I had to input trim to -4db on the speakers (highest they allow) which almost got rid of the background noise, but not quite - without the input trim there is very noticeable buzzing across the volume range (doesn't change across the volume range at all, constant loud buzzing).

But I guess that's what you get when you have highly sensitive speakers like the Behringer B2031A and the Shure E5 headphones - next time I'll opt for something less picky
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by hackeron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have a macbook pro and it is average at best and if I plug in an external dvi monitor, it's completely unusable sound wise
frown.gif

frown.gif
- I had to input trim to -4db on the speakers (highest they allow) which almost got rid of the background noise, but not quite - without the input trim there is very noticeable buzzing across the volume range (doesn't change across the volume range at all, constant loud buzzing).

But I guess that's what you get when you have highly sensitive speakers like the Behringer B2031A and the Shure E5 headphones - next time I'll opt for something less picky
smily_headphones1.gif

I hate hearing that. I've plugged my Etymotics (ER6. Pretty darned sensitive) into the headphone jack of my iBook and maxed all volumes without any program material playing. Mind you, I have a touch of tinnitus that might mask a tiny bit of hiss, but not much. Maybe I should replace the Mac for all other purposes and just keep this one for a music server.

Tim

May 11, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by hackeron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

frown.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Do the speakers make any noise when your sources are unplugged (as in, nothing plugged into the speaker)? Is everything plugged into the same outlet or circuit? What you're describing sounds like a power issue. I don't have any hum or buzz from my 0404 USB.

May 11, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the speakers make any noise when your sources are unplugged (as in, nothing plugged into the speaker)? Is everything plugged into the same outlet or circuit? What you're describing sounds like a power issue. I don't have any hum or buzz from my 0404 USB.

Not noise as such, there's a very very faint hiss if I put my ear near the speaker - when I plug it into the 0404 USB or onboard sound card the faint hiss turns to distorted buzzing and additional artifacts when I say open a window on the Mac.

There is also no noise (or significantly less noise) on the same machine if booting into Linux and using the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 sound card which is not supported by Mac
frown.gif

May 11, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is everything plugged into the same outlet or circuit?

Unfortunately yes, it's currently just an 8 plug extension lead connected to a single outlet without surge protection or anything like that. I've noticed a reduction in hiss when plugging the speakers to a UPS (the improvement was only audible if placing the ear next to the speaker however).

May 11, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #14 of 24
Are you using the mini-headphone out .... I had lots of buzz with mine that way. Buy an iMic and use the USB out ... it fixed my problem and is only about $30 .... I have since moved on to a Keces-151 which I love.

May 11, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by G.Kennedy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using the mini-headphone out .... I had lots of buzz with mine that way. Buy an iMic and use the USB out ... it fixed my problem and is only about $30 .... I have since moved on to a Keces-151 which I love.

Thanks for your advice but what I've done is give up on trying to get anything useful out of the Macbook Pro and put Leopard on a PC desktop with a dedicated D-Link USB controller (pci card) - now that there is nothing else on the USB controller (not even a mouse or keyboard) the background noise/hiss/buzz is completely gone! -- I now have to place my ear directly onto the speaker to be able to hear a very faint hiss (which changes very slightly when I disconnect the speakers from the 0404 USB).

The added bonus is I don't get terrible sound degradation when copying files onto an external USB hard drive now too
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm very happy with this setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back