Powered monitors to use with TV
Sep 24, 2009 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Scott549

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to be getting a new TV in the next couple of months. I would like to get a set of powered monitors to upgrade the sound. I have a set of cheap Behringer MS16 monitors in my office. They are OK, but they are pretty flat (not necessarily in a good way) and have very little bass response. My room is relatively small and I don't need really big sound -- subwoofer probably not necessary. I would like to spend no more than $200. Any suggestions?

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 7
I also recommend the Audioengine A2. After extensive online research they appear to be among the best choices for under $200 powered speakers.
Another common recommendations are the M-Audio AV40 and Logitech Z-2300.

I splurged and got an "open box" white Audioengine A5 for $290 (from One Call) because I wanted more bass. I am very impressed with the sound. Deep strong bass, spacious sound, good imaging. The speakers are also very well constructed (solid MDF) and finished (glossy painted).

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to be getting a new TV in the next couple of months. I would like to get a set of powered monitors to upgrade the sound. I have a set of cheap Behringer MS16 monitors in my office. They are OK, but they are pretty flat (not necessarily in a good way) and have very little bass response. My room is relatively small and I don't need really big sound -- subwoofer probably not necessary. I would like to spend no more than $200. Any suggestions?

If you are not in a hurry and don't mind using ebay consider finding a set of Sony SAVA-7 (circa 1997). I have collected three sets over the years and have yet to hear anything that bests them based on price and size. They are about 1.5 feet tall, but hey....

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 7
I have the M-Audio A30's for my computer. the A40's were too big. I think the A30's are good but not spectacular. I might go for the Audioengine speakers just because I have limited space and I'm not sure I want the bulk of a subwoofer. Interesting that the Logitech system is so highly regarded -- I got a set of Logitech Z-10 computer speakers from my late uncle and the sound is surprisingly good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back