Powered monitor suggestions for my office
Apr 2, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jetlag,

I'd offer my advice, but it seems you've got a plate full already!

The only thing I'll add, as I mentioned in my PM, is that a sub is important for more then reproducing sub-frequencies. Your non-sub speakers, when driven by the high-pass output of the sub, will benefit remarkably from avoiding those low frequencies. Those low-freq's (<80 Hz, especially) cause havoc in terms of intermodulation distortion. For example, if you use one woofer to push both 20 Hz and 200 Hz, you're 200 Hz will have sidebands at + and - 20 Hz (ie, 180 and 220 Hz). Using a sub with a high-pass output, even with the volume of the sub down, will pass only the >70 Hz (give or take) freq's to the woofs and tweets..

Thanks,
Elias

Excellent point, and the main reason I adopted subs in my system. My Paradigms really opened up when freed from having to produce the low frequencies.

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #32 of 38
keep an eye out for used NHTPro A10s or A20's. Excellent, unheralded monitors that hold up to many of today's newer standby choices. Check the gearslutz boards for more info, they're popular with a lot of recording engineers and the like. As for the stereotypical comments regarding thin, cold, sterile sound, I can only speak for my silk-dome tweetered A10's when I say they are smooth, unfatiguing, and involving. They'd have to be considering they've served me at work excellently for nearly 6 years now. In fact, they'll be in use until I can afford PMC TBA-2 active's!

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #33 of 38
The a10s are very fine for the money on the used market. I sold mine without hesitation after doing diy, though, but I guess that's neither active nor an option.

Apr 3, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #34 of 38
Hi, stumbled on this thread and thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. Many of the monitors mentioned will do the job nicely, I personally would recommend the Mackies, Genelecs and Dynaudios prevously mentioned (I am from an audio engineering background) most of the smaller models from these brands will suit nicely. However a brand that doesn't get the attention it deserves is Blue Sky. They have a fantasic sound, are used by many big names, but aren't all that well known. If you want a cheap setup that sounds great, check out the 'media desk 2.1'.
On another note this is my first post on Headfi after a couple of years of just being an onlooker.... so HI!

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #35 of 38
So far I have listened (briefly in a fairly open environment) to the Dynaudio BM5a & BM15a, Mackie HR624mkII (anyone know the difference between the 624 vs the mkIIs?), M-Audio BX8a, Event Studio Precision 8, and 2 pairs of Blue Sky monitors (forgot to write down the model numbers).

I must say that I am impressed and know at this point I will be quite happy with active monitors, the sound from most is very flat and uncolored, just what I like. Trying to work out an in-home demo of a few of them as the store's listening areas were less than ideal. Preferred the BM15a thus far, but a tad pricey for me.

Really curious about the differences between the original Mackie 624 or 824 and the newer MKIIs, anyone used both and formed any opinions?

Apr 3, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #36 of 38
Jetlag,

Don't buy until you try JBL LSR series. NOT the version with room-correction, but the JBL LSR6325P (small and inexpensive) or the JBL LSR6328P. I haven't heard these, but Bob Katz, one of the most respected mastering engineers (and audio-mind) in the industry, says the JBL LSR series is the only near-field monitors he would trust.

I have the JBL LSR6332 3-way stereo pair w/ matching sub (4-way in all), and I love them. When I first set them up, I had the classic scenario of re-discovering the joy of listening to my music collection.

Thanks,
Elias

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #37 of 38
Yes, it took me many months to finally finish my new PC and office audio setup, but it is finally complete! Viola!

Desk_1_lores.jpg

Those are a pair of 100% fully factory reconditioned Paradigm Active Studio Reference 20s. I got them at a great price and sent them up to Paradigm in CA for a couple weeks of TLC. They effectively took them back to factory spec; replaced the boards, power supplies, etc. They sound great.
icon10.gif
Also in the photo is my 32" Sharp LC-32GP1U (1920x1080P) monitor/HDTV driven by an EVGA 8800GTS and my new Q6600 based PC. On the right is a Slimdevices Squeezebox 3 and my Benchmark DAC1 USB. Yes, I like spending time in my office now!

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back