Powered monitor suggestions for my office
Mar 30, 2007 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Jetlag

100+ Head-Fier
I am making a parts list for a new PC and need help with the audio.

I spend lots of time (to much time?) in front of my computer & I love to listen to music while doing so. I have to be able to hear my phone, dogs, girlfriend & doorbell so headphones are out
eek.gif
for the office (I know this statement amounts to blasphemy
very_evil_smiley.gif
on Head-Fi, sorry). My girlfriend hates it when I use my IEMs and don't respond when she speaks to (at?) me.

I am seriously considering a USB DAC 1 plus powered monitors for the audio. I'm not a gamer nor do I watch DVDs on the computer so no need for a surround setup. FWIW I ripped all of my CDs (>1200 of them) into FLAC using EAC/Secure/AccurateRip plugin. Audio quality/accuracy/resolution are paramount to me, same as you. Favorite genres: Jazz, Blues & Rock.

I have no experience whatsoever with powered monitors.

My planned setup:

FLAC>Foobar>USB DAC 1>powered monitors

(I could go with an amp & speakers after the USB DAC1 but for now am just looking at powered ones)

Listening goal: I want to hear what the recording engineer heard when creating the CD or get as close to this as possible. Components that alter, soften, add to, warm, etc the music are not to my taste. I previously owned a DAC1 and really like it.

I do not want to run a SW, so the closer the monitors can get to 20Hz-20Khz the better, I prefer <16" tall & <8" wide, and lastly <$1000/pr please (although if the sound is truly outstanding I might go somewhat higher).

With all of the above in mind, which powered monitors would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Mar 30, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 38
Dynaudio BM5A they have balanced inputs which would pair superbly with the variable balanced outputs of your DAC1! Price is about $500.

Of if you have the means the BM15A

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/...ion?q=dynaudio

Got to love a manufacturer that really knows speakers taking a stab at powered monitors.

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 38
BTW, I have spent a number of hours reading various threads on this same subject and came up with a short list of possibilities. I'll refrain from posting it now as not to skew any potential recommendations.

I will be out of town until Sunday night, so don't expect any replies from me until then.

I sincerely appreciate the help on this.

Mar 30, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 38
I am in a very similar situation to Jetlag. I went to Steve's music in Ottawa, and the guy suggested to me some KRK monitors, any thoughts on those?

Mar 31, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a fan of M-Audio's BX-8s. So much so that I have 2 pairs of 'em.
cool.gif

I love my BX-8s too but they are no longer available and I don't care for the BX8a as much.

Jetlag,

Have a listen to some Event ASP8s. On the lower end, the TR8s aren't bad either.

Mar 31, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #8 of 38
oh for god's sake don't use ****ing STUDIO MONITORS as music listening speakers. they're flat and boring and dry and ugh. i owned KRK monitors and a KRK subwoofer. excellent, they should really cost 10x as much as they do. they do their job very very well. and, well, their job ain't enjoying music. you will never get "heart-melting treble" or "a sweet midrange". i have no idea what you people are smoking, just get off of it please. a studio monitor by design is not supposed to sound good. it's not supposed to sound bad, either. i'll just leave it at that...

edit: this sums it up:

Quote:

[size=x-small]Unlike a hi-fi speaker, which is designed, hopefully, to make all audio material sound pleasing to the ear, the studio monitor has as it's main objective to paint an accurate audio image of the material, with no unnatural emphasis or de-emphasis of particular frequencies. This is what it means when a monitor is said to be "flat". and "uncolored" or "transparent". That's the theory at least. Reality sometimes paints a different picture. And this is where the arguing typically begins. [/size]

[size=x-small]

you may say that you prefer the neutral, flat, transparent products, but you never know until you actually try studio monitors. i'm sure the hi-fi products that you're familiar with will sound worlds better than ANY good studio monitor. that's because monitors are NOT designed to sound good. they're designed to sound right. you will most likely get much less listening pleasure out of them, seriously. try before you buy. a lot of people disagree with me, i'm sure...
[/size]

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 38
If you can find a used pair of Paradigm Reference Active 20's on ebay or audiogon they are an excellent pair of active speakers. They can go very low without a subwoofer, but can really swing with a good audio sub. They were a great bargain at the original price of $1,600.00 a pair, but I've seen excellent condition pairs on audiogon for under $800.00. These are not studio monitors, they're a very musical 2 way with incredible imaging, lush mids and highs, that were paired with their own internal amps so that Paradigm could tailor the amps to the drivers much more precisely. The amps are also made in house by Paradigm, and use seperate 125 watt amps for the woofers and 75 watt amps for the tweeters.

Mar 31, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 38
I was eying some of those, but how are they in the nearfield? I don't know about the OP, but certainly for me, I want something that I can listen to just a couple of feet away from me.

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh for god's sake don't use ****ing STUDIO MONITORS as music listening speakers. they're flat and boring and dry and ugh. i owned KRK monitors and a KRK subwoofer.

I couldn't disagree more. For the record, I think KRK monitors rather suck, very coloured, so that may explain something.

Last year I have auditioned a lot of hifi monitors from brands like B&W, JMLabs, KEF for very long time periods in controlled environments with my own CDs and did the same with studio monitors from Genelec, Adam, M-Audio, Mackie, etc., and overall speaking, studio monitors simply offer better value in this price range for near and also mid-field listening. Especially in nearfield, studio monitors cannot be beaten. Less marketing and cosmetics price mark-up, basic economics. The hifi ones sound a bit more euphonic and "pleasing" but lack in other areas. Studio monitors may sound a bit more sterile or neutral depending on how you want to call it, but that's what I want from transducers, i.e. to give me what the source offers without imposing too much of their own character.

For under $1000, the Dynaudio BM5 and Mackie HR624 are my favourites. In the US, the HR624 can be had from ebay for really good prices. I'm not too fond of the Genelec treble. I would try to audition both and make a decision based on that. Other good brands include Event, Hummel (if you can find one) and M-Audio. Not a big fan of the KRK and Tannoy monitors.

I'm personally using Adam P11a and like them a lot!

Mar 31, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #14 of 38
I'll admit to having been hesitant about even posting this thread since it somewhat flew in the face of Head-Fi (i.e. no headphones in this setup).

I can't tell you how impressed and thankful I am even thus far, you've most definitely steered me in directions that were not on my original list. I'm actually quite excited about checking out the sound from these monitors. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back