powered by DC
Jul 22, 2015 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

goobicii

100+ Head-Fier
Stuff runs at DC,power from wall is AC,50 60hz have fuller bass,400hz have better mids and highs but castrated bass.What if you had some custom build DC power from the wall? Wouldnt that be best sound? I know its more complex and expensive to change voltages with DC,AC is simpler and more economic but if you build your own power station,wouldnt that be superior?

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 29
laptop AC power adapters can have horrible line coupling, add "ground loop" hum even though nominally isolated for safety rating, legal use of unpolarized 2 pin mains power plug

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 29
Stuff runs at DC,power from wall is AC,50 60hz have fuller bass,400hz have better mids and highs but castrated bass.What if you had some custom build DC power from the wall? Wouldnt that be best sound? I know its more complex and expensive to change voltages with DC,AC is simpler and more economic but if you build your own power station,wouldnt that be superior?

What makes you say that 50/60Hz AC powered things would sound any different than 400Hz powered? Where is your evidence for these assertions?

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 29

What makes you say that 50/60Hz AC powered things would sound any different than 400Hz powered? Where is your evidence for these assertions?

Quite a bit of 400 Hz powered gear is found in  military and aircraft applications due to its inherently lighter weight. I worked with quite a bit of this stuff back in the day.

Not only is it powered by 400 Hz, but it is often 3 phase as well. This means that the equivalent of 60 Hz or 120 hum, which is relatively hard to hear because of the relatively low frequency, is now at 2400 Hz which is easy to hear and basically shrieks at you.

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 29

Quite a bit of 400 Hz powered gear is found in  military and aircraft applications due to its inherently lighter weight. I worked with quite a bit of this stuff back in the day.

Not only is it powered by 400 Hz, but it is often 3 phase as well. This means that the equivalent of 60 Hz or 120 hum, which is relatively hard to hear because of the relatively low frequency, is now at 2400 Hz which is easy to hear and basically shrieks at you.

Sure, but any good audio gear shouldn't have audible hum at the power frequency anyways.

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 29
I was thinking it was obvious,you have dirty Ac from wall but you need clean DC to power stuff,even if you have clean AC with things like AC regenerator,Accuphase PS 520 or 1220,Monarchy AC Regen etc the AC to DC is still problem in conventional powersupply.Multiple people reported that higher freqency sounds better,PS audio McGowan said 400hz sound best,better than 60hz,DC is infinite freqency AC in way it gives full juice infinitely often,its constantly peaking....

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 29
It's not "Turtles all the way down". Even if you have DC at the wall, it had to be generated from AC at some point. Even generating it directly (using a generator...) doesn't give you clean DC. There's still ripple and commutating noise to contend with. Your other option is to use batteries, and this gets expensive quickly. It's a lot more cost effective to do exactly what we do today: Convert AC to DC and filter out as much noise and ripple as we can, then connect it to equipment designed to be as far as possible unaffected by power supply noise and ripple.

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #11 of 29
  It's not "Turtles all the way down". Even if you have DC at the wall, it had to be generated from AC at some point. Even generating it directly (using a generator...) doesn't give you clean DC. There's still ripple and commutating noise to contend with. Your other option is to use batteries, and this gets expensive quickly. It's a lot more cost effective to do exactly what we do today: Convert AC to DC and filter out as much noise and ripple as we can, then connect it to equipment designed to be as far as possible unaffected by power supply noise and ripple.

One of the ironies of life is that if you have a real DC generator, even one rotated by a water wheel, it probably puts out dirtier DC than a good, off-the-shelf, $4.95  AC->DC power supply that simply plugs into the wall.

DC from solar cells would be pretty good, except that everybody uses switchmode converters to get a stable output from them.

Hey, I've got an idea. We all know that various circuits need DC of different purity to operate effectively. For example, charging lithium cells hardly cares about the purity of the DC, and powering an ADC chip probably does care, a lot.  Why not package up an appropriate DC purifier with every piece of gear so that it will have the kind of DC that it will benefit from. Oh darn, that is today's accepted practice!  

Next!

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #12 of 29
...DC is infinite freqency....
Nitpicking:

The "frequency" of DC is zero, not infinite.

And to the general conversation, AC power is dirt cheap and easy to distribute on a large scale, and any device that needs DC is going to have its own power supply. Any decent engineer is going to design (or use) a "good" power supply for the device. If the amp/DAC/whatever was getting noise or general nastiness from the power supply, then that decent engineer will debug and possibly redesign it.

Jul 25, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 29
I was thinking it was obvious,you have dirty Ac from wall but you need clean DC to power stuff,even if you have clean AC with things like AC regenerator,Accuphase PS 520 or 1220,Monarchy AC Regen etc the AC to DC is still problem in conventional powersupply.Multiple people reported that higher freqency sounds better,PS audio McGowan said 400hz sound best,better than 60hz,DC is infinite freqency AC in way it gives full juice infinitely often,its constantly peaking....

That's just it, cleaning AC with things like the AC regenerator, Accuphase PS 520 or 1220,Monarchy AC Regen etc. is a very poorly designed way to do it,

The goal is pure DC, but along the way each of those devices takes some fairly pure DC that they make internally, and change it back into AC.

That is like purifying water of mud and slime and then throwing the mud and slime back in!

I notice that you are again off inventing an alternative form of science where frequency is apparently defined as the frequency with which full juice is given, and then illogically abusing your own definition.

It turns out that with DC,  full juice is given just once but it is then continued indefinitely.  It is never taken away or reversed as it is with AC. 

You also need to learn that people on the internet report the darnedest things, and even things that reported by thousands and even tens of thousands of people have never happened.

I suspect that you would be better off learning conventional science than inventing your own personal form of science.

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #14 of 29
PS audio McGowan said 400hz sound best,better than 60hz,

Would this be the PS Audio who produced this rather poor low end performing DAC?

914PSDSfig10.jpg

I'm really gonna take them seriously  !

In any case apart from anecdotes do you have any empirical evidence whatsoever for this superiority of 400 hz thingy ?

Jul 25, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #15 of 29
Wow, the distortion may even be audible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back