powered 2.0 speakers (no sub) for 1000$ max, bedside rig with imod
Aug 18, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #16 of 28
Hey everyone, still a few more things to add:
It would be nice if the monitors sound good at low volumes because that is what I will often use... So if they dont sound good at low volumes its a no-go....
I would prefer speakers with an rca input.
well this is my current list of choices:
dynaudio bm5a (biamp)
adam audio a7 (not sure if these are bi-amped though) they seem to have a bit less bass then the dyns
genelec 8030a (couldnt find much info about these)
mackie hr824mk2 (dont know if they will sound so good in my room)
tannoy reveal 8d (mixed reviews)
quad 12l bi-amp (not sure about the bass if you compare it to the others)
?yamaha msp7 or hs10m, not sure about the differences, I think they would bi fatiguing after a while, i like a bit of an aggressive sound but I dont want listening fatigue...
Remember, these monitors are meant for just listening (I know somehting they were not made for), but active monitors are just the most practical.
Greetings, Anouk,

Aug 18, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #17 of 28
Have you heard any of the NHT speakers, such as the M-00? They are a bit less money. I have not heard them myself, although I have considered them along with some of the others you have mentioned. Don't know about their availability where you are though.

Aug 18, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #18 of 28
Hello, No I have not heard any active monitors yet, well mylist got a bit shorter and one monitor was added, this is my current list, i will edit the first post too:
dynaudio bm5a (biamp) i4muzique, feedback 2x459
adam audio a7 (not sure if these are bi-amped though) i3muzique, feedback 385x2
tannoy reveal 8d (mixed reviews)

genelec 8030a 2x449 i4muzique duurder bij feedback
?mackie hr824mk2 feedback 2x599
krk vxt8 feedbeck en i4muzique 2x499

Greeting,s Anouk,

Aug 19, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #20 of 28
Hello once more,
Well after some more spec reading its down to the dynaudio bm5a or bm6amkii if I can find it for a nic eprice used, or the adam audio a7...
The mackie fell off becvause of some reviews, its size and its high wattage, not sure if this one would be so good for low-voume listening.
thr krk fell off because off the size and some reviews I read...
The genelecs, i just could not find much info about these on the net....
Greetings, Anouk,

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #21 of 28
Are you going to be buying these speakers blind, as in without having listened to them? I don't think it's a good idea as you won't know whether you like a particular sound until you've heard it.

The best source for information on the sound characteristics of these speakers is probably the gearslutz forums. They seem to favour Adam and Dynaudio monitors, this is however for music production and not pure listening. There isn't much info for pure listening.

It must be noted that both Dynaudio and Genelec have multimedia/home theatre speakers that are identical to their studio monitors except for the addition of rca inputs. They obviously believe their monitors are good enough for pure listening. If you want more info on the Genelecs, perhaps search for 6020a/6040a which are the home theatre equivilents of the 8xxx series.

I wouldn't bother with the Genelec 8030a if you're still considering them. For such a big price increase over the 8020a, all you get is an extra 10hz (or so) bass extension and more volume. I heard them side by side at a lowish (70db) volume and they were near identical. May as well save for the matching sub and get an extra 40hz bass extension. I haven't heard any of the other monitors on your short list so I can't really comment.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #22 of 28
Hello, Thanks for your reply!
Those home theater variants, do those have subs. Because I want to have a 2.0 system without a sub... I dont like subwoofers in general...
I think those monitors on my list already have rca inputs which is what I would use... So not sure what the difference would be between these and their home theater variants...
I will probbably buy a monitor without listening to it first. I know it is not such a good idea which I found out when I went listening for a pair of speakers not so long ago. But there are no dealers near my, in my own province. The nearest dealer of studio monitors is 1 hour car drive away, and I would have to use the train which would be a longer distance measured in time, probbably at least 1.5 hours so 3 hours total...
Greetings, Anouk,

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #23 of 28
None of the Genelec 8xxx series of monitors have rca inputs. The Dynaudio MC 15 which is their multimedia speakers, do have rca inputs as someone else noted. Genelec's 6xxx home theatre speakers have both rca an xlr inputs (which is the only difference between them and the studio monitors 8xxx). The subs for the Genelecs are optional, but can be added later along with more 8020a's to make a 5.1 setup.

Aug 23, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #24 of 28
Out of the genelecs and dynaudios I would definately get the dynaudio. Don't get me wrong, the Genelecs are definately a great set of monitors for semi-pro or pro studio work, but perhaps a little dry sounding as far as musicality goes; especially straight out of the IMOD or in combination with your IQUBE using the IQUBE as a preamp. This would be an incredibly revealing and deep sound but perhaps lacking the warmth that you are looking for. With a predator or lisaIII that might be great synergy but I just think that IMOD->Genelec or IMOD->SILVER LOD->IQUBE->Genelec will be too analytical sounding (and VERY IMPRESSIVELY SO) as the IQUBE is also said to sound 'right' as well as Silver IC's also leaning that way.

Dynaudio, although also being a studio monitor, maintain that accurate studio sound, but also have a certain amount of life to them. Having worked with both of them, I would think that Dynaudio is better suited for your purposes/music taste. There are also a couple of other options that you may not have considered: continuing on the monitor route, the KRK VTX 6 series monitors are fantastic (I own some of the previous model V6) for less money than the equivalent dynaudio; the KRK's are ported, but the port is front facing; I have mine placed fairly close to the wall without any worries. Also for a more Audiophile known brand B&W have released a range of active monitors; and we all know how good B&W speakers are (think Nautilus) these may be a bit above your price range, (only just) but if you can audition some a think you will pull the trigger on them straight away; there Imaging and sparkle is second to none IMHO with good bass slam. B&W are as at home reproducing the nuance and texture of a violin solo as they are at Putting 'BASS IN YOUR FACE' well liked by lovers of classical and their range of 'Alien hardware' Nautilus speakers adorn the walls of my favorite dance/electro club here in brisbane (Family)... mindblowing.... also from memory they're not ported. Although I wouldn't go for any of the B&W consumer range of powered IPOD docking stereos, though they ARE good of their type.

I know i've probably given you more questions than answers now so i'll leave it to the other guys. but between genelec and dynaudio...... it's DYNAUDIO.... no question
biggrin.gif

good luck

sorry about your wallet
evil_smiley.gif

PS. I'm with ninjapixie; there's no way you should be buying these speakers blind; as they are all good at reproducing sound, at this level it becomes more about taste. and a final note: pretty much all of these monitors... well.... ALL of them actually will have XLR and 1/4" phono jacks on the back... no RCA... easily solved with a cable

Aug 23, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #25 of 28
Hello Thanks for the reply, yeah I could always ask Ken from alo to make me a custom rca to xlr cable... I do not think i qill use the iqube though because that would only be redudnant because the powered monitors already have a pre-amp... I will look into the b&w offerings... Well, when I have the cash to go for powered monitors (I just bought a modded/recabled ultrasone edition 9) I will probbably look and see wha tI can get second hand... Not sure if I will be able to listen before buying, I am pretty sure it will be difficult to audition the b and ws but some of the others I would be able to audition an hours drive away with a car (longer with train/bus which I wouold have to use).
Greetings, Anouk

Aug 25, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #28 of 28
Hi Anouk,

Sorry for the confusion, I re-read my post and realized my mistake; the B&W's aren't active (it's their range of IPOD docks/systems that is), but they are fantastic studio monitors at a reduced price-point from what their speaker range usually sells for. The B&W monitors go for about $1400 australian a pair; they have 6" drivers but fill a decent room with luxurious sound that if you closed your eyes you would think you were listening to some big ass floor-standers; they should be about $1000US as we seem to pay through the nose for electronics here in OZ regardless of how strong our dollar is. The problem is you would have to drop the same amount of $$$ on an amp to do them justice. I have experienced them when I was shopping for a set of rear speakers for a possible surround rig they were fantastic!!!; problem is you will need an amp to drive them though so you may want to keep B&W for a main rig sometime in the future.

FYI just because a monitor is amplified (none of them are pre-amplified)(in fact you will find that most decent ones are bi-amplified) doesn't mean that they couldn't do with some good pre-amplification, battery powered sources aren't always known for there high power output. Otherwise no-one would need portable amps for their IPODS to drive Headphones properly as the signal would already be strong enough.

So back to the Dynaudio's I think. though you should check out the KRK's and Genelecs regardless of the review you have read. You can't take one persons opinion as gospel (nor should you mine) so you MUST find a way to audition the monitor choices you have narrowed it down to. What's 3hrs as opposed to years of enjoyment....or pain/disappointment

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back