PowerBook G4/ Gilmore Lite volume matching and settings.
Jul 11, 2005 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

iDesign

Headphoneus Supremus
I would like to inquire about volume matching and settings using a PowerBook G4 and Headamp Gilomre Lite connected by a ZU Cable Pivot from the headphone out (minijack) to Grado Labs SR225. Anticipating the purchase of the amplifier, I would like to nail down the volume settings prior purchasing to eliminate any volume matching guesswork. What volume levels are ideal for both the computers adjustable volume and the volume within iTunes. Where should each of these levels be placed?

I also plan to use my AirPort Express with the Gilmore Lite and would like to pose the same question about where should the computers and iTunes volume levels be placed.

In regards to iTunes equalizer settings I presume that it is most ideal setting is not activated. If this assumption is not correct please suggest other settings.

Jul 11, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 11
There's always been a bit of a disagreement on source volume, but I believe it's 100% thru to final adjustment. Then choose based on your preferences. So 100% on prog and system volumes and whatever you like on the Gilmore.

On that note let me recommend Detour or at least SoundSource to control sound paths based on app. May not do much good with just internal speakers and headphone out though. More when you have multiple outs.

As for best EQ setting, there is none... unless you don't believe in EQ. Then it's obviously off. There's a lingering 'clean system path' argument that's left over from the analog EQ world or 'if your equipment is right you don't need EQ' argument that's assuming a lot. Digital EQ (even average iTunes EQ) has advantages. From there what do you want to do to the Grado sound? Smooth off the top end, or further curl the midrange for female vocals, make more neutral (not a very Grado-like sound), etc? Again only you can decide.

If you want to understand the EQ spectrum, download this old EQ35 manual. Page ten breaks down the frequencies.

Jul 11, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 11
Thank you for your assistance on this issue. I have proceed with ordering the Headamp Gilmore Lite but am questioning the performance out of the computers headphone out (minijack). It seems that in order to maximize sound quality a true line out is necessary. Connecting the Gilmore Lite directly to my AirPort Express may be necessary to get a line out signal--though it is somewhat cumbersome to do so in my space. In lieu of this I have began wondering how can get a true line out signal from my Apple PowerBook G4. What product solutions are most recommended?

Any chance to avoid heavy costs and installing additional software is something that I would greatly value! I suppose the best scenario is to connect the amplifier directly to the AirPort to get the line out playback I am seeking. Any objections to this???

Jul 11, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 11
On my g4 powerbook, I set the headphone out to 3/4, and have had good results. 100% results in a higher noise floor...

Jul 11, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by iDesign
I suppose the best scenario is to connect the amplifier directly to the AirPort to get the line out playback I am seeking. Any objections to this???

Not really except I don't know how the APX compares to the Powerbooks headphone out. Will say APX is limited to iTunes. If you want anything else try Airfoil, but DVD syncing, etc. could still be a problem.

Jul 11, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 11
The APX is nice to have. Later on, you can add a DAC to it through the optical out
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Not really except I don't know how the APX compares to the Powerbooks headphone out. Will say APX is limited to iTunes. If you want anything else try Airfoil, but DVD syncing, etc. could still be a problem.

I would imagine that the AirPort Express headphone out compares favorably with the PowerBook G4 headphone out. It is an easy way to obtain an unadulterated signal as the PowerBook's internal amplifier presumably will compromise the Gilmore Lite's sound quality. If you have a PowerBook G4 (or similar Apple computer) and an AirPort Express I would be interested to see what your findings are between a comparison of the headphone out on the CPU and AirPort express. I will post my findings as soon as the Gilmore Lite arrives. Using iTunes/ AirTunes to feed Lossless files to the Airport Express should suit my needs quite well as I dont have a need to stream DVD playback and can import converted tracks from other music editing/ production programs into iTunes quickly and easily.

Thanks for your help blessingx!

Any other product or program tips that you recommend while I'm making my PowerBook a tad more robust as a Digital Source?

Jul 12, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 11
I no longer have an APX. I may get another sometime, but my apartment is so small and I prefer my Audiophile USB since it can handle internet streaming, DVD, etc. Plus still eyeing a Squeezebox.

No big other hints. I may be have mentioned it before, but explore Doug's Applescripts to find shortcuts to massage tag info, etc.

Jul 12, 2005 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 11
The PowerBook G4 has a really good quality headphone jack. Set the volume to 100%.

If you use an Airport Express the volume is not relevant because there is an option in iTunes to disable iTunes volume control when using the Airport Express.

Nov 8, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #10 of 11
I wanted to post on this oldish topic that I started sometime ago. Recently, I reconfigured my space to allow my AirPort Express to be integrated with my home audio system and headphones. The audio mini-jack (analog and optical) on the AirPort Express compares favorably with the headphone out mini-jack of most late and early model PowerBook G4 Titanium/ Aluminum computers. Although the PowerBook G4 has a good headphone out users who have an amplifier connected directly to the computers analog headphone out will observe a significant performance increase by using the analog audio mini-jack on the AirPort Express.

Best,
iDesign

Nov 8, 2005 at 10:37 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by iDesign
Although the PowerBook G4 has a good headphone out users who have an amplifier connected directly to the computers analog headphone out will observe a significant performance increase by using the analog audio mini-jack on the AirPort Express.

Yeah, I agree with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back