Powerbeats2 or Jaybird Bluebuds , which is the better bluetooth model?
Sep 10, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:
  There is a Jaybird BlueBuds X and Beats Powerbeats2 comparison in the Head-Fi Buying Guide.

Hi jude. I read your wonderful review. You suggest that Jaybirds have better sound signature and a bass that does not mask the higher registers but I am going to buy the ridiculously more expensive Beats for some reasons.

I am not going to use it as a reference headphone. I am going to use it exclusively for the GYM (never outdoors for safety).They stay in ear while on the treadmill. 2nd The excess amount of bass may cover the bass from the Gym's sub woofer, and this is a plus point if you ask me.

I know that theory from practice is sometimes different. I will buy the headphones and see if they satisfy me.

Take care brothers.

Sep 11, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #17 of 30
I was waiting impatiently for my order of Powerbeats2 to arrive at my local shop. I went there happily to collect them, I paid the hell of the money to the cashier and I went home full of joy, congratulating my self for my new purchase. I opened the package I put the headphones to charge for a couple of hours but the white LED have never flashed. It was only the red LED. 

Then I pressed the Power Button and guess what! NO RESPONSE. I said f.vc.k. Not to me GOD... I pressed it for 5 seconds in order for bluetooth to synchronize and again with no response at all. I tried to do the trick I found in the internet in order to reset it (holding Power button together with minus button for 10 seconds) but no response at all. 

Why the fv.vck is this happening to me again? This sh!t supposed to be an apple crap. Now I have to go to the store again at my own expense and I am sure they will not replace, they will keep it for repair (I bet they will reinstall the firmware).... I will demand that I have my money back.

I bought so many "NO NAME" cheap bluetooth brands. I never had problems with any of fv.c.king them. And now I bought my most expensive device of a so called prestigious brand "APPLE" / "BEATS"

Shame on you APPLE. Shame on you f... BEATS. We pay for you so much for crap like this.

Sep 11, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #18 of 30
  I was waiting impatiently for my order of Powerbeats2 to arrive at my local shop. I went there happily to collect them, I paid the hell of the money to the cashier and I went home full of joy, congratulating my self for my new purchase. I opened the package I put the headphones to charge for a couple of hours but the white LED have never flashed. It was only the red LED. 

Then I pressed the Power Button and guess what! NO RESPONSE. I said f.vc.k. Not to me GOD... I pressed it for 5 seconds in order for bluetooth to synchronize and again with no response at all. I tried to do the trick I found in the internet in order to reset it (holding Power button together with minus button for 10 seconds) but no response at all. 

Why the fv.vck is this happening to me again? This sh!t supposed to be an apple crap. Now I have to go to the store again at my own expense and I am sure they will not replace, they will keep it for repair (I bet they will reinstall the firmware).... I will demand that I have my money back.

I bought so many "NO NAME" cheap bluetooth brands. I never had problems with any of fv.c.king them. And now I bought my most expensive device of a so called prestigious brand "APPLE" / "BEATS"

Shame on you APPLE. Shame on you f... BEATS. We pay for you so much for crap like this.

Yeh i'd ask for a replacement, i've owned most of beats products and never had any issues so its unfortunate that you've got a lemon. If you love bass then you will love the powerbeats, personlly i found the bass to overpower the rest of the spectrum too much, its good to drown out outside noise but not so great if you want to hear vocals and details. I'd also recommend checking out the jabra sport pulse which is what i currently use for the gym, not as bassy as the powerbeats but they sound pretty good and are very comfortable. The built in heart rate monitor is also quite handy.

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #19 of 30
Hi chailee80. Thanks for your suggestions. They will not replace it straight away because they don't have the black/red color I want in stock. If I manage to get the money back I will probably order another brand from the internet (Jaybird or Jabra like you suggested). This is my first experience with beats and turned to be negative. I can't waste more time on sh!t like this.

One question friend. In regards of volume, among Powerbeats2, Jaybird, Jabra which is the most loud choice?

Thank you

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #20 of 30
  Hi chailee80. Thanks for your suggestions. They will not replace it straight away because they don't have the black/red color I want in stock. If I manage to get the money back I will probably order another brand from the internet (Jaybird or Jabra like you suggested). This is my first experience with beats and turned to be negative. I can't waste more time on sh!t like this.

One question friend. In regards of volume, among Powerbeats2, Jaybird, Jabra which is the most loud choice?

Thank you

I couldn't honestly say which is the loudest, they were all sufficiently loud enough for use in the gym and never had to be cranked to the max, the powerbeats probably sounded the loudest due to the skull shaking bass they can put out. Personally i dont listen to music at very loud levels and i would be quite worried about a persons hearing if they were to continuously listen at max volume. The bluebuds sit further inside your ear canal and provide a better seal for blocking outside noise so they'd be better if you want to block out your gyms music. The powerbeats have the best bluetooth connectivity with the least amount of drop outs. The sport pulse are the most comfortable and i find they sound the most balanced and natural of the three.

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #21 of 30
Hi chailee80. Thanks for your replies and help you provided. I was asking which is loudest because my experience with some sports wired Sennheisers and Sonys connected to some of my android phones were miserably quiet and the ambient GYM noise was overpowering the sound! Of course I am careful with loud volumes.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am going to the store right now to see how I can deal with them...

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #22 of 30
  Hi chailee80. Thanks for your replies and help you provided. I was asking which is loudest because my experience with some sports wired Sennheisers and Sonys connected to some of my android phones were miserably quiet and the ambient GYM noise was overpowering the sound! Of course I am careful with loud volumes.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am going to the store right now to see how I can deal with them...

Yeh, sounds like you'll want one that has good isolation then, there are a few models like the powerbeats which have a fairly shallow insertion and dont block out ambient noise that well.

Sep 11, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #23 of 30
Thanks chailee80

I went to the store and they had in stock another pair of Powerbeats2 the color I liked, so I finally decided to have my faulty pair replaced with a new one.

I was so curious to try these "bassy" Powerbeats2 for reasons that I can't explain. if they don't isolate external noise enough, I will apply some DIY insulation (small piece of earplug foam around each headphone earbud), but I am afraid that the bass would be way  too much with this solution! 

Of course the only reason I want this set is for the GYM only, weights and treadmill. At home I have the Sennheiser HD650. I don't use headphones while driving or walking for safety reasons. At work I use some open earphones to keep in touch with the environment. So Powerbeats2's only use is in the GYM.

If I don't like the sound, I am not less crazy than you ! I can order the JayBirds on top of that !

Anyway... I am heading to the GYM now for little exercise and catch you later brother !

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanasis View Post

Most products have some percentage of defects why there are warranties as well as store exchanges when it happens out of the box. I would imagine bluetooth to have a higher percentage than corded regardless of the brand. I haven't had any trouble with my beats but sorry to hear about yours.

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #25 of 30
Most products have some percentage of defects why there are warranties as well as store exchanges when it happens out of the box. I would imagine bluetooth to have a higher percentage than corded regardless of the brand. I haven't had any trouble with my beats but sorry to hear about yours.

Thanks p4s2p0.

I got it replaced with another pristine one, same powerbeats2 and same red-black color. Yeahh this time we got it right. It charges and works like a charm. The sound is good enough for an in-ear bluetooth system.

My only concern is that the ear-tip does not seal into the ear and there is always room for external noise to enter. There is also a loss of bass. People argue that the headphones are bassy and the bass is overpowering the rest of the frequencies. This is valid only if you manage to get the headphones to seal into your ears which is never possible with any of the provided extra ear tips....

Thanks all for your feedback and response brothers !

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #26 of 30
  My only concern is that the ear-tip does not seal into the ear and there is always room for external noise to enter. There is also a loss of bass. People argue that the headphones are bassy and the bass is overpowering the rest of the frequencies. This is valid only if you manage to get the headphones to seal into your ears which is never possible with any of the provided extra ear tips....

Thanks all for your feedback and response brothers !

Update....

The ear-hooks are adjustable. I carefully and wisely bent them to get a better fit and the problem with the lose seal has almost disappeared. I use the largest ear - tips which provide the best seal for all ear types!... Of course I am not at the GYM right now so I can not say for sure I got it fixed but it looks I manage to adjust best ear hook position to hold the ear-tips secured in my ears.

To give a quick review on the sound.
These headphones are not monitors of course and the sound can not be compared with the huge sound-stage, instrument separation and the frequency range of my Sennheiser HD650.  But you can't expect more from any bluetooth headphones.

These headphones are not monitors, and for those who use audiophile systems, you can expect some peaks along the spectrum. But for GYM and loud places the "non monitor" sound signature of the powerbeats2 wireless headphones is perfect. It overpowers the bass coming from the GYM's subwoofers. 

Not much to complain guys after I managed to get a better seal. Of course, still they can't provide good isolation of external noice but for GYM these headphones are very good and their sound worth every penny. For stationary home use of course there are better choices (can't replace my Sennheiser HD650 ) ! For outdoor I can not recommend headphones other than open-ear ones.

I rushed to be negative but the headphones actually kick Ass ! I will try some DIY to see if I can provide a better seal with foam.....

Take care

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #27 of 30
Bare in mind that powerbeats2 don't seal. There is no workaround for this because the leakage of noise and air starts from within the earphones. With smaller ear-tips you feel like you don't wear any headphones. All external sounds can enter into the ear. With the largest ear tips it blocks something but like I said, noise and air is passing through the earphone itself. So if you look workaround go with another headphone and diy by cutting and fitting earplugs.

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #28 of 30
I found out why people claim that Powebeats2 stay in position while other in-ear headphones don't.

The difference between Powerbeats2 and other headphones, probably the Jaybird Bluebuds, is that there is air communication that goes from ear through the plastic of the headphone out. Headphones like the Jaybird Bluebuds and others leave a cupping / suction effect (gap of air)  between the inner ear canal and the headphone. So pushing the ear-tip inside the ear it remains sucked for some seconds or minutes. When we exercise the sweat in the ear creates steam air and together with other air leakage from both the ear and earphone, the seal finally loses. In this case we have people complaining that headphone pops out after the lapse of a couple of seconds and they need to keep pushing them back everytime! In practice it is not possible to keep a seal with a gap of air between inner ear canal and the earphone, especially during exercise. The air will find its way in, either through our body itself or from sweat steam and it will push the headphone out of position! The sweat will also act like a lubricant so in combination with any leakage or formation of air, it will get the earphone on its way out !

The reason why people don't complain about Powerbeats2, is that there is no cupping / suction effect (gap of air)  between the inner ear canal and the earphone. The earphone doesn't remain sucked in the ear, simply because the earphone has air holes itself and does not allow a gap of air to exist ! In the case of Powerbeats2, the earphone simply seats on the ear and the creation of a seal is out of question. And because it is out of question, people don't complain!

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #29 of 30
this is easy. Jaybirds.

the powerbeats2 are the single worst headphones i have ever heard. in fact, there is not one positive i can say about the powerbeats2.

i recently tried these: sony sbh80, jbl everest 1000 and jaybirds. the sony sounded best but the large battery behind the neck sucks. jaybirds were next best sounding but i found they didn't fit well. the jbl sound decent but fit really well and its my new workout headphone.

i've owned great 30 dollar headphones and great 2K headphones. i can safely say that the powerbeats are the single worst sounding headphone i've ever bought. if your music app has an equalizer you can get them sounding better but they still SUCK. 

the fit issue with the jaybirds is that the shaft that the foam sleeve sits on is short and fat. therefore, the foam tips don't compress a whole lot, nor stick in the ear deep enough for me. i don't think i have particularly fussy ears to fit and believe this is a design error. if you are sitting still they are probably fine but if you are going to do vigorous activity then the Jaybirds will likely fall out.

bluetooth earbuds are a compromise product in every way possible - you just got to choose your poison. i have no problem saying that the powerbeats truly suck - if you don't believe me then go to apple and look at the reviews on their webstore. they are gawd awful.

Aug 13, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #30 of 30
I was unable to use any of the stock Jaybird X2 eartips, so I had to perform a DIY swap with some old Etymotic ER20 earplugs I had.  As you mentioned, "Beats" anything pretty much suck the suck out of "suck", but kudos to them for doing such an amazing marketing job.  Between them and Monster Cable, you've got 100's of millions of dollars for tens of thousands of dollars worth of parts.  :)

regards,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back