Powerbeats2 or Jaybird Bluebuds , which is the better bluetooth model?
Oct 30, 2014 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

TheDarkKnight

New Head-Fier
Not sure if this is the proper forum to put this in, but wanted to get some feedback for those that might have one or have used both.

I used the Motorola S9 for many years, skipped the 10 because of bad reviews, then bought an S-11 Flex and it actually sounded better than the 9.

Now that I'm in the market, I guess I've narrowed down my choices to either the Powerbeats2 or the Jaybirds.

I know Beats gets a lot of crap from the audiophile community, but everything I've read about Powerbeats2 has been somewhat positive and not the standard cookie cutter stuff they usually put out. On the other side Jaybirds seem to have positive reviews everywhere, and have their own little following.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 30
i havent used the powerbeats 2, however i have recently picked up two pairs of bluetooth headsets for the gym. 

i'll do a little writeup of each. 

i got the jbl's at best buy. took them back within 14 days to try the jaybirds. i just got the jaybirds today. when my "free return period is up" (jan 15 at best buy, which is awesome) ill either keep the jaybirds, or return them for the jbl's. 

to give some background, i was using the bose mie2's until i decided i wanted to go wireless. if you are ok going wire, just get these and it's game over. 

1. jbl synchros reflect bt (click for link)

$99 on the best buy site, but they price match. amazon has them for 80 i think. 

PROS

- absurdly comfortable. they popped right in my ear, were very hard to come out
- volume. review sites say they dont have a high volume, i couldnt agree more. 
- pairing. when you turn it on, it's automatically "pairing". search with your device, and youre 
- bass. these suckers HIT. that's also a con, kind of. i'll get to that
- price they are around 50 wired. $30 to go bluetooth isnt too much imo
- shortening of wires. there's built-in "clips" on the wire. just slide them to shorten the wire. very simple. 

CONS

- wearing "behind the head" (wire rests on the back of your neck) isnt feasible imo. the wire is so stiff (which is a pro imo, bc it isnt a cheap thin wire) that when you move your head, the whole wire moves and can start to wiggle out of your ear. to counter this, i wore the wire under my chin. it was comfortable and you can shorten the wire very easily
- while the bass is a pro, there is a hit on the highs. it's hard to explain bc the highs arent muffled, they just sound "off". if you have a solid eq, you can work around this. end of the day you need to decide if you prefer your high's or your low's. im a basshead, so i loved the volume + bass
- charging port door. sounds weird, but there isnt a lot of "room" when you open the door on the earpiece and charge it. it felt like the door would eventually break. 
- no carrying case. sounds lame, but for a $100 set of phones, gimmie at least a sack to toss them in
- bluetooth connectivity: this 10000% may be ONLY with me, but i lost connectivity in my gym in certain places which drove me nuts. i will report back on if the jaybirds have the same issue (which then ill chalk it up to something in the gym interfering).
- no forward/back buttons. others dont like this. i personally dont care

2. The jaybird bluebuds X

PROS

- pairing. the pairing is one step more than the jbl's, but easy to do as well. just a matter of holding the power button after you turn them on
 sound. you lose a little in the bass department, but the sound is much more "natural"
- voice assistance. when you do things (like pairing) a voice tells you. it sounds cheesy, but its nice so u dont hit a button and not realize what youre doing (like when you power down, it says "powering down"
- thinner wire. the wire feels durable, but isnt as "stiff" as the jbl ones
- volume. volume is decent, not as loud as the jbl's (contrary to reviews). i did use loudness on my eq to bump it up a little
- carrying case. real nice case actually. a hard case. the fit is a little tight. the phones seem to need to go a certain way to fit. 

CONS

Keep in mind, i JUST got these, so i'll update when needed. 

- wire shortening clips. seems more work than the JBLs
- bass hit. the bass is still solid, but not as bassy as the jbls (but the overall sound is better)
- price. jbl is 80, these are 132. if you want to pay a litle more for better sound, it's worth it (to me, it is)

i hope this helps. let me know how you make out (or made out if you alrready made a purchase. i wanted to give a review on these jbl's, bc i couldnt find any "legit" reviews of them ANYWHERE. 

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 30
Personally i found i had fit issues with the bluebuds, during vigorous activity they would come loose and start to fall out which was a deal killer for me. Other than that they were fantastic, great battery life, great isolation, nice V shaped sound signature (although the mid to top end sounds very aritificial to my ears) and they work fine when faced with heavy sweating and hard rain.

The powerbeats fit me much better and don't fall out, the only downside is when worn with the cable behind the neck the cable tends to stick to my neck a bit when i sweat and if i turn my head it can wiggle the ear piece a little and affect the seal a little. Worn under the chin it gives me no issues at all. These things are bass monsters when you have a good seal which may be a good or bad thing as the bass can drown out the highs a lot. I actually use an eartip one size smaller than i need so the seal is slightly less which tames the bass and makes things sound much more balanced and pretty good overall. If i was to be critical i would say my only complaint is they have a spike or two somewhere in the top end which makes it a bit harsh sounding at times.

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 30
I'm interested in both of these and leaning towards the powerbeats2. However, I think I'm going to wait for the bragi dash to see if they live up to the hype first.

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 30
Compared to the backbeats and bluebuds these have definitely been the best wireless sports headphones I've used. Although the sound is not up there with other $200 headphones they do work extremely well for what they are designed for.

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 30
I just got my bluebuds over Christmas and I have to say, these are the best bluetooth headphones I've gotten:

Pros:
- Voice prompts: I have to admit, I like the voice prompts. You will have no doubt about what you are doing. Pairing, turning off or on, thanks to the voice. You don't have to guess what that beep means.
- Bluetooth range is actually pretty good. Most of the problems people get with any bluetooth headset (after the range) are drops in the sound when the headphones or the cellphone cross the body. These headphones are the best yet. I can actually put the phone in my pocket and go for a run and it won't drop. I'm 6'5 so that is sometimes an issue when doing sprints or working out.
- Tons of accessories. If you are into that. Great hardcase though I wish it was a tad bigger.
- Great sound quality. A little quiet by itself, but that can be fixed on your phone with a little software amplification
- They are water repellent. They use the Liquipel formula for water proofing so sweat, running in pouring rain, should be no problem.

Cons:
- Proper seal/staying in your ears: Out of the box, I had problems getting a proper seal with these headphones. Without a proper seal, these headphones sound bad. Then I got some Comply phones to put on them and I've had no problems since. Running, sprinting, hiking, jumping around, and they still stay in. And the music and audiobooks sound great. But the Comply style headphones should be included with your bluebuds
- No bass: Well if you love bass then its a con. If you don't then these are great! Now, if you love bass, you can do a work around. Get the Comply headphones, set your eq to a more bass heavy settings and you are almost there.

Prices are finally coming down. I was lucky to buy these in a rare sale that Jaybird had on their website. I bought the new Camo versions that they just released in December. So I'm currently loving these. I mainly use them to workout.

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #9 of 30
I bought the bluebuds yesterday and must say I'm impressed with their sound. After several attempts I found a good fit with the wings and size buds. I do wonder how well they will stay in place when sweating during the workout I may go ahead and buy the powerbeats2 and compare them and return the one I like least. 15 day return policy at BB. I am impressed with the Jaybirds so far though. Will work out with them for first time today.

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 30
Not sure in going to try the powerbeats2 now. I got the comply T500 in blue for te Jaybirds and they fit amazing, sound great and stay put now. Love them.

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #11 of 30
​So I actually just pick these up a couple days ago and to tell you the truth I’m not usually a big beats fan but these here are a great pair of sport headphones.
They really meet all the requirements and expectations that you have been apparent good sport headphones.
L3000.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #12 of 30
The idiots at cnet.com claim that beats PowerBeats 2 multifunction button (pause/play/next/previous track) does not work with android phones

Here: http://www.cnet.com/products/beats-powerbeats2-wireless/

User Feedback below that review suggests otherwise. The multifunction button (pause/play/next/previous track) DOES actually work with android phones.

I spent so much time because I ordered the beats and I was about to cancel. Time Wasters always saying ********s in this ****ing internet.

Thank you guys !

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #13 of 30
  The idiots at cnet.com claim that beats PowerBeats 2 multifunction button (pause/play/next/previous track) does not work with android phones

Here: http://www.cnet.com/products/beats-powerbeats2-wireless/

User Feedback below that review suggests otherwise. The multifunction button (pause/play/next/previous track) DOES actually work with android phones.

I spent so much time because I ordered the beats and I was about to cancel. Time Wasters always saying ********s in this ****ing internet.

Thank you guys !

Yeh i dont know what those review guys were doing but the all controls work just fine with every android device i've tried. The only time there's been issues is when the apps themselves have the wrong settings. Having full control is the main reason i prefer to use bluetooth headphones with android devices.

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #15 of 30
chailee80: Thank you chailee80 for letting me know that beats controls work with android. Sometimes I feel these reviews get generated by automated robots.

Jude: Also Thanks Jude for the review and the time you spent. Thanks for contributing so positively to the community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back