Poweramp for Corda Prehead & B&W Nautilus 805?
Sep 25, 2005 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rauer

500+ Head-Fier
Hi. My audio equipment will be soon facing a reorganizing of some sort due to getting a new house. I might end up using my Prehead's preamp and a new (preferably used) poweramp to run my B&W Nautilus 805 speakers (low freq boost by my Velodyne SPL-1200 subwoofer).

Any recommendations which poweramp to get? The system will be placed in a middle sized (whatever that means to everybody) room. The listening volumes are mostly rather moderate, but every now and then I could have the need to cause an audio-induced earthquake. The source material is probably 50/50 redbook CDs and movie DVDs (in two channel only in this case). The source will likely be my humble harman/kardon DVD25 with Wolfson DACs. Many may consider it the weakest link but I have no upgrade plans soon. The poweramp should cost less than 1000 €/$ but preferably something like 500 €/$ used. I'm tempted by the Corda poweramps but very few seem to have heard them. And while they probably would sound great with music, I'm not so sure about movies.

Any recommendations? What would you think about a Rotel RB 1070?

Sep 25, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 10
You might be able to find a QUAD 909 used for that price. The older 707 is pretty similar actually and goes for a lot less. In fact, any 'current dumping' QUAD amp should sound nice - used 405-2's go on ebay quite regularly for not that much money (don't get a 405-1). Should provide both the muscle and refinement you are looking for in your B&W's. Check out a few reviews in the mainstream press, most of which are available online (http://www.iagamerica.com/quad/whathifi909.gif).

Sep 25, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks, Sloth. Have you had one yourself? Quad is almost unknown to me and having searched briefly I couldn't find any nearby.

Sep 25, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 10
Poor old QUAD. One of the true gems of the audio world. Classic british hi-fi. The sort of people who measure their equipment before they listen to it...

Take a browse around their site: www.quad-hifi.co.uk.

Their real claim to fame is their history of the worlds finest electrostatic loudspeakers, including the only electrostatic in the world to produce an audio wave eminating from a point source. Their current flagship, the ESL989 to many ears is the worlds finest loudspeaker (unless you are in the 'if it doesn't reproduce a 20hz waveform, it's no good' camp), and their L series dynamic speakers are unrivaled in their price range. But their electronics have always also been excellent, usually technologically cutting edge, and priced at mid-fi levels. They've recently been bought up by the International Audio Group, and despite people's fears that they would go all crappy and commercial, they've actually got even better.

Anyway, if you search for reviews, you will find them in abundance regarding all the products in QUAD's very long history. Audiogon seems to be the place to find their used stuff in the US, with 909's appearing quite regularly.

Edit: A little quote for you - "After a series of articles published in 1999, spotlighting the truly important milestones in the development of audio, Hi-Fi News Magazine pronounced the ESL-57 'The greatest hi-fi product in history'".

Sep 25, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 10
How about a pair of Corda Poweramp-1s?

frontpoweramp240.jpg

I don't know them at all, but considering Jan's headphone amps I'm sure they sound excellent, particularly for their price.

peacesign.gif

Sep 26, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks, Jazz. As I wrote in my original post, they are tempting but I fear they might be lacking in the movie-sound-fx-tearing-the-house-down function.

Oct 11, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 10
Hi Sloth,
Wanted to know how you find the Quad 12L Pro Act? Any signs of analytical sonics due to 'now much shorter signal path' compared with the passive 12Ls? Am personally interested in one of these, and am infact contemplating between B&W602s vs Quad12L. Always appreciate a fellow Quad owner's comments.
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back