Power Supply
Jan 28, 2007 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jaisin

New Head-Fier
Yesterday, I did a search on the DPS for my amp. I read a lot of threads, but I don't really understand the difference between the stock power supply and the Desktop Power Supply. Someone said the difference is subtle, but it is a major improvement. I don't understand how that makes sense. I wouldn't mind getting one, but I dont know if it would even be worth it. I can't really even tell the diference between the wall and batterieds.

Can you guys hear a difference? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

Jan 28, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaisin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday, I did a search on the DPS for my amp. I read a lot of threads, but I don't really understand the difference between the stock power supply and the Desktop Power Supply. Someone said the difference is subtle, but it is a major improvement. I don't understand how that makes sense. I wouldn't mind getting one, but I dont know if it would even be worth it. I can't really even tell the diference between the wall and batterieds.

Can you guys hear a difference? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

Anything affecting the signal waveform will have an impact on the sound. If the power is noisy or the reserve energy is not enough to make the proper amplitude or speed of the signal will impact the sound. The better/bigger components/circuits will improve the demand when required. Like running a car on regular or premium. Normal driving won't notice much. Floor it and decide which gas allows the car to move quicker.

Jan 28, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 6
A wallwart can provide enough power to drive most amps adequately. But if you really want depth to the power supply, something like the DPS is good. It'll have a bigger transformer, beefy caps and a much larger reserve.

Sorry for using a well-worn car analogy, but it's like the difference between a car that struggles to get over a mountain pass and one that has the power to get over it easily. Both cars would be fine on a level road, but if you're going to ask a lot from your amp, the bigger power supply it worth it. Otherwise, it'll start to lose steam when the music demands a lot of power.

Then again, if you're just listening to quiet music at low levels, the wallwart should be fine for you.

Jan 29, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A wallwart can provide enough power to drive most amps adequately. But if you really want depth to the power supply, something like the DPS is good. It'll have a bigger transformer, beefy caps and a much larger reserve.

Sorry for using a well-worn car analogy, but it's like the difference between a car that struggles to get over a mountain pass and one that has the power to get over it easily. Both cars would be fine on a level road, but if you're going to ask a lot from your amp, the bigger power supply it worth it. Otherwise, it'll start to lose steam when the music demands a lot of power.

Then again, if you're just listening to quiet music at low levels, the wallwart should be fine for you.

I listen at fairly quiet levels. I'm really not sure when the amp is struggling. How can you tell when it needs more power?

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 6
Lacking power reserves manifest themselves as:

- Bass notes without body (the instrument should keep playing but gets quieter too quickly after initial impact)
- Bass distortion (bass itself is muddy, not well controlled)
- Distortion of higher frequencies when strong bass present (loss of subtle reverbs, sharpness or change in tonal character and texture when bass present); any Bjork is good for testing this
smily_headphones1.gif
Basically any tracks that layer strong electronic bass and female vocals or strings will work well.
- Clipping (or poor transients); supply voltage too low

If you listen at low volumes, I wouldn't worry about it, particularly with headphones. It makes a much bigger difference with loudspeakers.

An exception may be if you're getting noise from the power pack. A DPS would presumably include better filtering and would send a cleaner, more stable current.

Jan 29, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lacking power reserves manifest themselves as:

- Bass notes without body (the instrument should keep playing but gets quieter too quickly after initial impact)
- Bass distortion (bass itself is muddy, not well controlled)
- Distortion of higher frequencies when strong bass present (loss of subtle reverbs, sharpness or change in tonal character and texture when bass present); any Bjork is good for testing this
smily_headphones1.gif
Basically any tracks that layer strong electronic bass and female vocals or strings will work well.
- Clipping (or poor transients); supply voltage too low

If you listen at low volumes, I wouldn't worry about it, particularly with headphones. It makes a much bigger difference with loudspeakers.

An exception may be if you're getting noise from the power pack. A DPS would presumably include better filtering and would send a cleaner, more stable current.

I think I've heard the distortion of higher frequencies when I've turned it up loud. I don't listen at that level, but I think I noticed it. I listen to hip-hop and it seemed like the bass was causing their voices to tremble. Is that what you are refering to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back