Power Supply high pitch noise
Jul 25, 2006 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BodiesOfLight

500+ Head-Fier
My power supply started making this subtle, yet really annoying high pitched noise, it's enough to give me a headache. Anyone know what's up, is there something that can be done? It's obviously some electrical component (neither of the fans, I checked, it's inside), so I don't know if it's safe to open it up and mess with it or not. Probably not.

It's only been doing it for a a few days, or at least that I've noticed. Damnit, I don't want to have to buy another PS if other than that it works fine.

Jul 25, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by BodiesOfLight
My power supply started making this subtle, yet really annoying high pitched noise, it's enough to give me a headache. Anyone know what's up, is there something that can be done? It's obviously some electrical component (neither of the fans, I checked, it's inside), so I don't know if it's safe to open it up and mess with it or not. Probably not.

It's only been doing it for a a few days, or at least that I've noticed. Damnit, I don't want to have to buy another PS if other than that it works fine.

I don't know what your issue is, but I urge you not to open up your PSU. Although I am no electrical expert, from everything I've read on computer forums power supplies capacitors hold enough capacitance even when off to kill you. Psu's aren't that expensive, I have no idea what you have now, but I've read good things about the Fortons which aren't too expensive.

Jul 25, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 11
Try blowing it out with canned air, could be dust, I know you said you think the fans are fine, try it. If that don't fix it, replace it, what kind of computer is it? If it is a custom build just put an Antec, Cooler Master, or a good name brand in it. If it is a Dell you will probally need a custom power supply like one from Pc Power and Cooling.

As for Fortron, there PSU's are good per se, but the fans they use are junk
very_evil_smiley.gif
I paid close to $70 for one of there PSU's and within 6 months the fan started seizing up, and well waiting for a new PSU that I ordered it seized up altogether; well I waited for the new PSU (Cooler Master Pure Power) the Fortron ran with out a fan at temps upwards of 150 degrees F. I was building a new computer and didn't much care what happened to that PC, but it still works fine and so does the Fortron (I gave it to my freind and he bravely replaced the fan, something I wouldn't recommend doing)

..::Edit::..
- -> For safety's sake, when I say blow it out turn the PC off, unplug the power DO NOT OPEN THE PSU hold the compressed air level (not upside down or inverted) and blow the dust out
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 11
Don't open it up, PSUs can give you a nasty surprise if you're not careful. If it's not the fans, most likely some part or coil has worked it way loose and started vibrating. Fixable if you know what you're doing, but otherwise, you're better off replacing it.

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 11
This quote was taken from Larva on OCforums.com (perhaps the most knowledgeable and kind gentlemen around) here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by larva
This is somewhat normal (although annoying) for switching power supplies. The oscillations in the magnetic field generated but the high switching frequency of the transformer can excite vibration in surrounding components. This behavior is seen occasionally on many products that use a high-power switching power supply. It is not a sign of overload.

This is a physical phenomenon, it is likely a leg of a toroid vibrating at the very high switching frequency with components that fall within the audible spectrum. The only thing you can do is smack the supply around a bit to (hopefully) rearrange the offending component(s) slightly. If the problem persists there is no solution besides RMA'ing it and getting a different example. This can (and does) happen with all brands and sizes of power supplies from time to time.

I have had this happen to me many times, and if whacking it with a rubber mallet didn't solve it, I tossed it. It is very annoying, I agree.

I also have to disagree and say that Forton/FSP Source makes fine units.

Cheers,
Alex

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by axle
This quote was taken from Larva on OCforums.com (perhaps the most knowledgeable and kind gentlemen around) here.

I have had this happen to me many times, and if whacking it with a rubber mallet didn't solve it, I tossed it. It is very annoying, I agree.

I also have to disagree and say that Forton/FSP Source makes fine units.

Cheers,
Alex

Haha, alright thanks. I'm actually eyeing a Forton if this isn't resolved.

My system:

AMD 3500+ 2.2ghz CPU
2 SATA HD
6600GT
DVD combo drive
Floppy
soundcard

Will this or this work as far as enough ampage? As you can see, I don't want to spend a lot and just get enough for what I have, I don't plan on upgrading this system much more before I buy a new one. I know wattage doesn't really mean anything, so if someone could maybe direct me to what I would be good with, that would be awesome.

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #9 of 11
Honestly, I would try taking the Antec out of your case and knocking it around a bit: it often works.

Barring that, the first unit you linked looks great to me. No guarantee; I'm not an expert. But if you're not overclocking, and I assume your current unit is 350-400 watt (and works fine?), then that Forton should do splendidly. I personally love units with 12cm fans (very quiet).

Cheers,
Alex

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by axle
Honestly, I would try taking the Antec out of your case and knocking it around a bit: it often works.

Barring that, the first unit you linked looks great to me. No guarantee; I'm not an expert. But if you're not overclocking, and I assume your current unit is 350-400 watt (and works fine?), then that Forton should do splendidly. I personally love units with 12cm fans (very quiet).

Cheers,
Alex

Yeah, no overclocking. I'm going to try taking it out knocking it around a bit first.

The one I have in now is actually 500W, I got it for a good deal, it's an Antec SmartPower 2.0 and I probably didn't need that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back