Power supply for the porta corda
Jan 17, 2002 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

anishbenji

New Head-Fier
I need a linear power supply for the porta corda. I don't have transport right now, and the nearest Radio shack is too far too walk to it. What is the part number of the power supply, so that I can order it from the Radio shack website.... or is there a better place to get one from?
Anish

Jan 17, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 12
So far as I can tell, Radio Shack doesn't carry linear power supplies.

By the way, "linear" is not the same thing as "regulated". If it's "regulated" but not "linear", it's probably a switch-mode power supply. All the regulated supplies RS sells are SMPSes, as far as I can tell. That said, I'm using one of their SMPSes right now, to good effect. Sure it isn't ideal, but the noise is "only" 120 mV max (I've seen it as low as 80) and it doesn't seem to affect the sound of my DIY amps vs. a battery supply.

If you really want linear in a "wall wart" form factor, go to DigiKey or Newark and look up Elpac's WM series. They'll cost in the $30-50 range, vs. the $20 you'll pay for an SMPS from RS. I've got one coming that I'll be trying out soon.

Jan 19, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 12
anishbenji, 1-3A powersupply is way too excessive for porta corda which only consumes average 10mA on 9V battery according to Jan. Even if the corda consumes somewhat more for higher supply voltage, that's still excessive; one tenth of it should be more than enough in my opinion.

Jan 19, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 12
It isn't a matter of "accepting" that much power, taoster. A 1 amp power supply doesn't actually supply 1 amp to whatever it's plugged into, unless the device actually draws that much power. That spec only means the power supply can supply 1 amp if needed without overheating. If you get a microammeter and test your amp under load, I'll bet you're still only using 10-20 mA.

EDIT1: That should be "milliammeter".

As for voltage, the PC is based on LM6172 opamps, which will tolerate up to +/-15VDC (30V p-p).

EDIT2: They should sound better when given more than the 9V supplied by the battery, especially with high-impedance headphones.

Jan 20, 2002 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 12
that's true.. i dont expect the PC to be drawing that power. that said, its hard to found a linear regulated supply producing anything less than 1 amp at that voltage.

Jan 21, 2002 at 10:31 AM Post #12 of 12
My power supply can give 3 amps and weighs about 3 tons
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back