Power supplies affect on the sound.
Jul 20, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #61 of 66
I work at a radio station. I've got about a dozen mic processors, two speaker amplifiers, two DACs, two DATs (lol), two high-end Denon CD players, a Telos system, and ONE microphone (double lol). How is all of this powered? SURGE PROTECTORS~! That's enough to convince me if power conditioners are necessary...

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #62 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a shame gregario doesn't post here anymore, my middle finger will lose much of its muscular strength gained from having to scroll past his long posts.

TY for the post above me for bumping this thread.
And thank you to you for mentioning this guy's name. People should definately read what greo has to say.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/search...nduser&u=69811

Jul 20, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #64 of 66
He may be a contrarian, but it's necessary to hear both sides of the argument. I know some members aren't terribly upset by him leaving, but it's good to hear both sides of the argument (whether to retort or concur with). Would this place be of interest if we all had the same opinion?

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. It'd be interesting if people could post some measurements of PSUs inside of their players, amps, etc. Under specific loads, or under transient stress...I'll see if I could do a few measurements. It could prove pretty interesting.

Anyone else up to posting measurements?

~Thomas

Jul 20, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #65 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He may be a contrarian, but it's necessary to hear both sides of the argument. I know some members aren't terribly upset by him leaving, but it's good to hear both sides of the argument (whether to retort or concur with). Would this place be of interest if we all had the same opinion?

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. It'd be interesting if people could post some measurements of PSUs inside of their players, amps, etc. Under specific loads, or under transient stress...I'll see if I could do a few measurements. It could prove pretty interesting.

Anyone else up to posting measurements?

~Thomas

It would probably be more relevant (and could be done with less testing equipment) to simply measure the component's (amp, dac, etc) output with one PSU and then another PSU. Measuring the actual PSU is probably pointless, because what matters is how the amp responds to various differences in power supplies, not power supplies themselves.

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #66 of 66
I have the equipment to do so, so it's of no bother to me.

Using RMAA, you could measure changes in the output signal according to the power supply given, yes; sorry I didn't make my intentions clear. What you stated is most likely what I'll do.

However, I still remain skeptical towards how far these measurements go to the perception of music. You may disagree, but for me, it's worth investigating the other side just for the sake of being conclusive, if nothing else.

And no, I'm not talking about power conditioning. Isn't that what a PSU is supposed to do? If it can't filter out the crap coming out of the wall, what good is it anyway? I'd be ticked about getting a power conditioner that did make a change because that means my PSU inside the whatever isn't filtering things good enough.

~Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back