Power Cords and Wire Gauge
Apr 21, 2018 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Magic77

500+ Head-Fier
Just curious if anyone is using large gauge power cords on their headphone amps, such as 12 or 10 gauge. If your house wiring is 14 gauge, does it make any sense or is there any benefit using a larger gauge power cord. I believe in using a good power cord, but are the aftermarket audiophile cords really worth it for headphone amps. Thanks

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #2 of 3
It's a series circuit going all the way back to that big power company transformer down the street. So changing a few few feet of cord won't change anything. Just like changing a few links in a chain, doesn't make the chain any stronger. The only thing that needs a heavy power cord is a real big amplifier.

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 3
It's a series circuit going all the way back to that big power company transformer down the street. So changing a few few feet of cord won't change anything. Just like changing a few links in a chain, doesn't make the chain any stronger. The only thing that needs a heavy power cord is a real big amplifier.

Yes, I agree. Whenever I bought a new Headphone amp, it was always supplied with a standard 18 gauge power cord. So, I assume the 18 gauge will do the job just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back