Power cord suggestions?
Mar 7, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #17 of 24
Patrick82--Thanks for the detailed info. It was exactly what I needed.

I'm going to start off with the Jellyfish, and see what else comes my way.

Mar 7, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patrick you hardwired your power cords on the equipment side right?

Yes. I soldered the Valhalla inside the amp. The other end has an AC connector.
My DAC has the Valhalla hardwired on both ends.

After I got the Premier Power Plant I needed to use AC connectors again. I only have 5 of 12 ends hardwired now. It got a little edgier but further tweaking solved it.

Mar 8, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #19 of 24
I think an aftermarket power cable may slightly improve an amplifier's sound quality IF the amplifier has small power reserves, but not at all if it has strong power reserves. How does one test for power reserves? Turn off the amplifier while playing music; if the amp goes silent immediately, then power reserves are small, but if the music continues to play for several seconds, then power reserves are strong.

I used to own a Berning micro-ZOTL, and an aftermarket power cord made a noticeable difference in soundstaging depth. However, the same cord makes absolutely no difference on my Corda HA-2.

I have two tentative explanations. One, the difference was only in my brain. Two, amplifiers with very small power reserves are more sensitive to mains power quality, which some power cords claim to filter or improve.

Whatever you buy, never spend so much on cables that you could have bought a better headphone, amplifier, or source!

Mar 8, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balisarda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever you buy, never spend so much on cables that you could have bought a better headphone, amplifier, or source!

I agree completely. Given the price of my current set up, the cord needs to be $50 or less. The Iron Lung Jellyfish fits the bill, and leaves cash for more stuff.

Mar 8, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

I think an aftermarket power cable may slightly improve an amplifier's sound quality IF the amplifier has small power reserves, but not at all if it has strong power reserves.

I noticed quite a large improvement going from included power cord to Volex to black sand cable. And I can say my Ayre has a pretty beefy power supply.

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Very good advise.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back